INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Young hunters law  (Read 191 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Young hunters law
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Wash. House approves limits on young hunters

Hunters under age 14 would need adult supervision on public land under a bill that's been approved by the state House.
OLYMPIA, Wash. —

Hunters under age 14 would need adult supervision on public land under a bill that's been approved by the state House.

The bill originally would have required supervision on private land too. But the House eliminated that provision before passing the bill Tuesday night on a 70-26 vote. It now goes to the Senate for consideration.

Current law allows anyone to hunt alone, so long as they have passed a state-certified safety course. The supervision bill is one of several proposed after a hiker was accidentally shot by a young hunter in Skagit County last year.

---

The young hunter bill is House Bill 1114.

---

On the Net:

http://www.leg.wa.gov
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline H2ofowlplate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Young hunters law
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Here in Whatcom County you can't hunt without P/G  under 16.  Been that way for years.  State law has always been No hunting alone under 14. I don't see this as a change, unless I'm missing something.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
It's my understanding that there was once a state law which did not permit anyone under 14 to hunt alone. The restriction was supposedly removed some time ago (in the 1990s?). So I believe this would be a sort of re-instatement. There is currently no minimum age to hunt alone at the Washington state level. I have no idea what happens in individual counties.

Offline H2ofowlplate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
County laws overule state in this isnstance.

You may very well be correct on the re-instatement of an older law.  

I have NO problem with 14 as a requirement.

Now if we had a ton of squirrels in this state???

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
A 12 year old hunting rabbits with his bow and maybe his dog.  Where is the danger?
One accident in 25 years and we all of a sudden need new laws.  Let parents parent.  I don't need the government telling me how to raise a hunter.  Most of them have never hunted in their life.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline H2ofowlplate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Unfortunately too many parents aren't. Therein lies the reason for laws. When people can't police themselves the Gov does it for them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©