INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Coyotes are not easy  (Read 207 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyotes are not easy
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Last month my partner and I tried to locate some rabbit hunting areas in eastern Washington, but only found plenty of coyote sign.  

On Wednesday and Thursday (Feb. 18/19), we returned to the area north of Moses Lake with coyote calls, dressed in our gillie suits, and we saw seven of the critters.

On the first day we saw five "dogs" and I was really excited to have a beautiful pair respond immediately to my calls.  However, they refused to come closer than a few hundred yards, and far out of range for a 52# bow.    :(  

Coyotes are very wary and are not easy to take, especially with a bow.  It's frustrating, but hunting them is lots of fun.    :thumbsup:    

By the way, we saw even less rabbit sign than last month.     :confused:
Lon Scott

Offline Cascade Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes are not easy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
I was sitting in a bear bait one night, and saw a coyote out about 60 yds.It took him at least 3 hrs to come within bow range.For every step he took foreward, he backed up two.Not sure if he winded me or if they are always that cautious.GR
Hickman "Critter Gitter,Lee Thunderbolt.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Lon, Did you try using a decoy? In open country like that they will lock on to the decoy and come in to give you a shot. They will stare at the decoy and usually not notice you drawing for the shot. Keep at um and good luck.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Jesse, We tried using a rabbit pelt placed about 10 yards from us, however, I believe they either saw us or caught our scent.  They remained out of range, but easily in sight, even lying down and lounging for a long time before moving on.
Lon Scott

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
coyote's a hard critters to get.
best advice i can give you is...
try going in the late fall- early winter.
thats when all the pup's are getting big and are kicked out on their own so they are young, stupid, and hungry... easy kill's...
having a GILLIE is must for yotes, try to have your back against a bush or rockface, and use a decoy with good motion. also vary your sounds.. over in moses lake yotes are hunted pretty hard. they get used to a lot of the sounds hunters use. they will come in to investigate but will stay at a distance cause they've been shot at before.
good luck.
~Andrew Wesley

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I think decoys work best if moving. It really gets their attention. If yours was then they may have scented you. I also don't like wide open areas where you can see way off when bowhunting them. Open is fine but I like culies, draws and such with tall brush that I can use to make sure they will need to get close to see what is making the racket. You may not see all that you call in but when you do it usually puts them in your lap. Most predator stuff you read is for rifles and though it will help you with basics it is completely different when bowhunting them. You may know all this but just letting you know what I have learned through the years of frustration with calling yotes into bow range.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
Lon,

I really enjoyed the coyote story.  Here's another way to bag one.  I have a half dozen 'yotes' living behind my house right now.  They are young and not too smart. I haven't given them a serious try yet.  Just bring a lawn chair, your favorite drink and a little patience. LOL

Here's a photo from my game camera at the edge of my back yard:

I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©