INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Holmes County Shoot  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
Holmes County Shoot
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Well, it is only six days until the Holmes county shoot.  Hope we have a lot of members and guests attend.  I'll be there at least Saturday.  Be sure to say Hi!

Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holmes County Shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Steve,  What time do they start shooting on Saturday.   Jim

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
I'll be there Friday afternoon sometime.  registration starts at 9am and goes till 1, 9 to 12 on Sunday.  Hopefully we all have better weather than Rushcreek, don't want to spend another night in a tent during a thunderstorm, wasn't fun.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Yep, it starts at 9AM both days.

I saw the picture in the newsletter of the storm moving in on you guys.  I think my tent would have been pulled and stuffed, and I'm outa there!  Right now the weather is to be 79 degrees and partly cloudy on Saturday, and 82 degrees and partly cloudy on Sunday.  Low of 61 on Saturday night.  No rain in the forecast, at least for now.  

Anyone know any details on the arrow making for the kids on Saturday?  I am fighting bone spurs on my right foot so I may just cut some of the shooting short and give the arrow gig a try.  I've made thousands of arrows over the past 35 years and have some equipment.  Just not sure how we are going to paint, crest and fletch arrows in one afternoon.

See ya there.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
I had to throw a tarp over my tent and stake it down.  Good thing I was on a cot, had an inch of water in the tent.  Dispatch here said possible showers late but other wise awesome for shooting.  It poured last year but still shot one of my best scores.
Not sure when the arrow making will start, I would imagine after the shooting ends.  I would figure they will have a few people fletching, some cresting and whatever.  With it warm enough, the cresting will dry fairly quickly, especially with something like Testors. Use instant glue for feathers and keep em rolling.  I'll probably knock out a bunch of armguards and such at the leather tent to donate as well.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline Camp Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
Paul told me he plans to get things started about 1:00 or earlier, if anyone is interested in starting earlier.  If you want more info then was in the newsletter, I would suggest you email Paul directly.  BRANDXPAU@AOL.COM

Lee & I hope to be there noon or thereabouts.  Long trip for us...3 hours minimum depending on traffic.

JOY :-)

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
last time we made arrows, all we did was glue on points and nocks and feathers. bring multi-fletchers, or any fletchers for that matter, left or right wing clamps will both work. Paul had shafts ready to go last time, and I assume this is the case this time.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Camp Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
The arrows this time are going to be bigger ones for some of the older kids.  Paul wants to pretty them up a bit so that is why the cresting, etc.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
I hope to be there about 1PM, have to do some work out at the church before I'm allowed to escape.  

I'll try to remember to bring my crester, some paint and brushes, and maybe half a dozen Bitzenburger fletchers.  Do we have power there for the cresters & work tables to use?

See ya there!

Goose

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
we'll come up with some electricity.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Mark C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
We will be down again this year...Saturday around 9am. I do not think we are camping though. I think 10 out of the 20 kids will be able to come. Look forward to seeing you all again.

Mark
 www.youngarchersforchrist.org

Offline chloesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Big Time and I will be there Friday afternoon. I've got two fletchers and a home made crester.We have limited paint, but I will bring what we have. Can't wait, see ya'll there.

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I have a left and right fletcher, crester, a bunch of Testors and some brushes.  I'll throw it in the mix with all the rest of my stuff.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
OK, the the East Holmes Club is not that big a place, but where are we going to make the arrows?

Thanks.
Goose

Online 4runr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Had a good time with the kids (mine and Roman's). Thanks Holms for a good shoot.

Good to see Mark C, and Steve. Good to meet Greg for the first time. Also had the pleasure of shooting with Doug S. and his boys. Man that big fella can shoot!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
the shoot went great , was good to see everybody . good to shake your hand again goose . i have the shaftes you dipped and am going to do my beat to finnish the arrows , . see you all at the state shoot in jackson . hoot

p.s. and of course its always a pleasure to look into the blue eyes of our lovely secretary . h
i had a friend once,, but he died.

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Had a great time as well, always like the Holmes Co. club.  It was a great course, had alot of fun.  Enjoyed talking with everyone that stopped by camp.  Thanks to the Murray's, Brian P., Greg and everyone that fixed that incredible spread Saturday night, man that was good stuff. Most of all enjoyed the fellowship of everyone there. Can't wait to see everyone at the State Shoot, it'll be here quick.  For those that didn't get to see it, the State Shoot quiver is nearly finished, someone will have to pry this thing away from me.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Hi Hoot,

Yep, good to see you also!

Did you get all the shafts?  I must have done almost five dozen at home Saturday evening, and four or five dozen at the range Sunday.  By Sunday the gasket on my dip tube was shot and they were not coming out as well as Saturday.  Hope you can use them.

Goose

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »
we didn't do a very good job organizing this thing this time, but arrows still got made. the first year we did this I agreed to supply all the beer, and we had like 150 people show up with their fletching jigs and lawn chairs. I didn't buy beer this year and like 4 people showed up. go figure.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
"I didn't buy beer this year and like 4 people showed up. go figure."

Daaa, you are smarter than that Jamie!  

Just kidding, but good to hear at least a few arrows got made.  

Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©