INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How's your season been going guys ?  (Read 281 times)

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
How's your season been going guys ?
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
So how has y'all's season went so far? It will be closed before we know it...dang it's went by fast. Haven't been able to close the deal with a stick bow yet. I killed a few by other means to fill the freezer. I've been busy helping the wife with her taxidermy business lately so I haven't had much time to hit the woods other than to move some timber. There's been a bunch of good deer killed in the past few weeks that she has taken in...shame none of em were mine lol.

I've got a lease in a 3 doe a day county. I think I'm gonna finish out the season with a longbow in hand and put the guns back in the safe. Here's hoping    :pray:  

Good luck to y'all too as this season starts to wind down.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How's your season been going guys ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
Been slow for me,only 1 with my self bow, I don't usually hunt with a gun so my Son has helped me fill the freezer,7 for him so far.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you had some luck Pappy. I'd be thrilled to take one with a selfbow. I need to make it over to see y'all at Twin Oaks to help me out a little with learning how to make self bows. I always try to make it to The Classic but all I do is buy some stuff from the vendors...it's the only time I ever get to actually shop for trad archery and hold it in my hand.

Looks like me and you are the only ones who frequent the TN board here at the moment.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:15:00 AM »
Ya it is always slow seems to me, maybe pick up in the spring, come see us when you get time, I am there most weekends. Did manage to see a few more this week, close but no shots,1pretty nice 8 following a doe and a 4 point just moving through, maybe the 2nd rut is coming in and things will pick up a bit ,at least for a few days. Good luck.
  Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Plenty of time left Pappy..... got a feeling the meat pole will fill up before the end of the year. I am going to take a break from the cabin remodel and sit my prize tree this evening. Should be a awesome sunset.....  :archer:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I'll bet this morning would have been a great morning. It's the first clear, frosty morning we have had in forever....and no wind. I've got behind on cutting firewood though so I'm stuck working. Maybe I can sneak off for a few hours in the morning and get some hunting in.

Good luck to you too.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
I've had the best season I've ever had this year.  I've killed 4 does and an 8 point.  It's been great!  I'm curious to see what the statewide #'s show.  I was hoping for a bear up here on the plateau but it didn't pan out.  

We've pretty much quit hunting deer and will be trying to thin out some hogs on the lease for the rest of the year.  Our hog permit only runs till Dec. 31 so we've gotta get with it!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Congrats Ethan !!! That is aweseome my friend. Has Dad put some down too.....  :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:58:00 AM »
Very good Ethan, I think you are going to see yours is the exception, numbers were way down in middle TN. for the first half of the season/archery/Muzzy and youth, not sure about the later part as for around us it has been very slow movement most of the season except for a few days during the early rut. Merry Christmas ,hope everyone has a great one ,see ya in the Spring.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Pappy..... they don't have to move when they are wading knee deep in acorns.....  :biglaugh:  

The year that there were NO acorns due to the freeze on April 23rd that killed all the acorn buds we were covered in deer morning, noon, and evening. Deer were on their feet all day trying to get their belly full of anything they could find. I knew this year would be tough due to soo much food on the ground.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Jimmy, Dad kille a doe early this season.  His brother passed away a couple weeks later and he and my mom spent a couple of weeks back in Louisiana.  

Hope all of y'all have a Merry Christmas and safe holiday season!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©