INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2 weeks/all ready  (Read 702 times)

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
2 weeks/all ready
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Well we got almost 2 more weeks,I am gussing everyone is ready and rareing to go. Good luck to everyone,hope to see ya and hear so good stories in the Spring.Shoot straight and be safe  :shaka:  .
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 weeks/all ready
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Look toward to seeing all the pics from you guys  this year

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:50:00 AM »
4 more days,wished the weather would hold but don't think it will, O well hunted in hot before.
Good luck folks.See yall in the Spring. Man this place is Slow,guess everyone is in the woods.  ;)
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Good luck guys! I'm fixing to give my broadheads a final sharpening for Saturday morning. It's gonna be a warm one but I look forward to being up a tree over some acorns.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
Yep about 26 hours from now I plan to do the same.Shoot straight.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Well i had hunting plans today by work put a stop to that lol. Hope yall have some good luck

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
I hunted almost all day yesterday day...minus a break for lunch and a short drive to hunt another property. I didn't see one deer while on the stand. It's tough right now at my farms.

I didn't get to go this morning. Fixing to head back to the woods now and try another stand on a different property.

I hope you guys are having better luck than me.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I just got to hunt yesterday afternoon. And seen a decent sized hog but no deer

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
I missed a small doe in Hamilton county. I don't know why I can't remember to bend at the waist hahaha

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
I had a small buck close Saturday morning but I could only get half way drew back and he caught my movement and bounced off  just out of my range. Never spooked and hung out for a while longer but never came close enough again

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
I've finally been on deer my past few outings. White oaks have been the place to be in my neck of the woods. Although I did see 11the other morning hunting under some big red oaks that are dropping heavy...unfortunately all the deer were just barely out of my comfort zone.

I shot a nice doe last Friday morning under white oaks...broadside 10 yards. The angle was a little steep but I know I got the top of one lung and all of the other...complete pass through. She ran about 60 yards and I heard her go down. I still had deer all under me so I just sat for about 45 mins til they all moved on out. I got down and followed a nice bubbly lung blood trail to where I heard her go down...no deer! I saw where she thrashed around and there was a huge pool of blood but she was gone....no blood trail to follow or anything. I did a grid search for four hours and never did find her. Damn, I hate to lose one that I KNOW will die.

I hope y'all boys are having some luck. This rain has put a big damper on my hunting (and working) the past few days. This weekend doesn't look much better either.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Dang shag that sucks. I hate losing them too. Getting up at night and helping momma with my one month old has put a small damper on my hunting. But I GUESS its ok lol.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Congrats on the new addition to the family D. My little girl turned 6 in August...I don't know where the time goes. It's nice when they are more independent and you have more free time...but I sure do miss her being a baby.

Had a good morning today. When I left the house the fog was so thick I started not to go. But once I dropped down into the hollers it was clear as a bell. I went to the stand at the red oaks where I saw so many the other day. The wind was awful and coming from every direction at one time or another.

Between the wind and the woods being so wet I couldn't hear a thing walking. No deer activity at all until 8:30. Then I just happened to glance over my right shoulder and caught a little movement. It was a hoss of an 8 pointer...I'd say mid 140's with hesitation. He walked straight up the hill to my right at about 35 yards or so at his closest point. That's a little farther than I'm comfortable with and it was awful thick. He never spooked...just stayed right on his line up the hill.

About 20 mins later I heard a super soft grunt right where the big 8 came from. There came 2 very respectable 2.5 year old 8 pointers up the same trail. They ventured off that trail in my direction an got inside of twenty yards. But there was some damned old dead limbs coming off the trunk if a cedar tree that were right in the way.

Fifteen mins later a big ol spike came around from my left and angled down to the exact same spot where I couldn't get a shot at the smaller 8's.

I sat til i starved out. It started raining after I got some lunch. I went back down there in the rain and made me a pole saw and trimmed all those limbs out of my way. I hope the noise of the rain was enough to cover up all the noise and that it kinda washed my scent away.

I'd love to harvest that big 8 but I don't know that I'll be able to hold out for him. We are out of venison and I'm wanting some bacon wrapped backstraps awful bad! Plus I'm still after my first trad kill. I sold my Hoyt Katera to a buddy so it's traditional or nothing this year.

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
This rain has been killing my hunting In johnson county
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Yeah this rain has been a real bummer. I don't mind getting rained out of work so I can go hunting. But the rain has been hitting every day right when I need to be in the woods.

Looks like tomorrow is gonna be another wasted day for both work and hunting.

I hunted the stand where I saw the three 8's again yesterday morning. I've been to funerals that had more action lol. Saw one little 4 point right at sunrise, way too far to shoot and that was it.

I hope this rain moves on out before daylight and I'll try it again in the morning.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 04:16:00 AM »
Just checking in,no deer here but had fun so far. Been really slow and as yall said rained about every day I had a chance to get out,well good news it should get better as Nov. gets closer. Good luck to all.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©