INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Falling 15 ft  (Read 672 times)

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
Falling 15 ft
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Hey guys;

Fell 15 ft yesterday setting up a new tree for huntng next year.  I know it was fifteen feet because my haul line is 17' and it was not touching the ground at the time.

I am 100% OK.  No injury at all (well a little scrape on my thumb).

I was using a new rope lock device (a variation on the linesmen belt and line around tree).  It was a friction device.  When I took the weight off of the device for a second, the line came out of the friction device.  When I leaned back again the fun started.

Things happened fast. My mind only captured three things,
1.  the sound of the rope zipping through the device.

2.  one frantic gesture to grab a branch.

3.  looking down between my legs as the ground approached.  

As I was approaching the ground, I was thinking how to land.  I thought if I land on my heals something is sure to break so I started reaching with my toes (which I am sure was totally pointless).

So, due to the way I came off the tree I met the ground in a vertical position.  Both feet hit the ground at the same time, dropping into a full squat before rolling/springing (not sure) onto my back.

I lay on the ground for quite some time.  Evaluating my body.  I wasn't feeling any pain and was wondering if I was numb or in shock or something, thinking something had to be broken.  I felt over my legs, looking for a bone sticking out or something.  I was just fine.  I did not hurt anywhere (even my thumb did not hurt, there was just some blood on it).

50 year old man falls 15' from tree and feels better then before he fell.

How lucky?

I climbed back up the tree and finished trimming.

I ain't telling my family because they worry enough about me already so I thought I would tell you guys.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline camocowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Falling 15 ft
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Glad you weren't hurt Bob. I bet the soreness is yet to come.

Offline CAST IRON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Glad you did not break anything but your pride.

Give me a call if you need help next time you should have my number

gm.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Whew !!! Close one Bob ! Now that you have tested the friction device and found out it does not work 100% of the time, do us all a favor and use a Summit SOP harness and tree rope for your lineman's belt. Mason and I took down 3 hang on stands yesterday and I used the SOP in total comfort and security. The Summit has coated D rings on each side of the belt. I use a extra caribiner to hook the loop end of my tree rope to my left D ring, go around the tree and use the caribiner that came with my SOP to hook the prussic knot to my right side D ring. Presto, adjustable lineman's belt by sliding the prussic to where you need it.

Sure would like to keep you around a little longer so be safe my friend !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Dang Bob!!  Really glad it turned out well for ya.  Things like that can happen so easy it's crazy!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
LoL, glad you are OK..Lucky you.

Things go into slow motion at that point don't they? Am a lineman for a living and I could tell you stories for days about guys that I've known at work that fell..in 30 years I've only cut out twice. Once @ 18' and an other time from about 30'+. Luckily both times it had been raining for weeks and the ground was soft, on the 30' fall I left an impression in the mud that looked like some kind of Wiley Coyote Roadrunner cartoon.

Some trivia for ya, of all the people who die from a fall in this country 7 out of 10 do so from 6' or less. Just something to keep in mind when you are climbing into your tree stand or cleaning out the gutters at you house on a ladder.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
WOW, you will probably be hurting today....Give me a call next time, Im not far away.
Genesis 27.3

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Glad ass turned out OK Bob.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
MikeW...... "Wiley Coyote Cartoon ", sorry but had to laugh thinking about that one even though falls are not funny at all !

God had to have watched over me in my younger days of no safety harness, homemade tree stands, etc, etc. I had several homemade stands that were 30-35 feet off the ground, sheeeesh ! I rarely go over 20 feet now and try to be as safe as I can. Old bones are brittle !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Jimmy,

I am looking up the Summit SOP harness and tree rope on line (most of the store bought linesmen type belts I have been not happy with for one reason or another {too heavy, overbuilt, too many extra doo-dads hanging about}).  Thanks for the suggestion.  I have had prussics to slide on the rope when weight is removed and then re-applied (it could be something I am doing wrong).  That is why I was playing with the friction device.

When hunting I am using a tree suit, so I am already strapped to the tree.  But I have been tinkering with the tree suit setup making more of a cross breed between a tree suit/tree saddle/Guido's Web type deal.  

I got this tinkering bug that I guess will get me killed one day.

Mike, I can't imagine walking away from a 30' fall.  I helped a guy who took about a 35' fall.  He had a broken-neck and 2 collapsed lungs (survived though).

Pappy, I always knew you were partial to my ass.  It was uninjured and looks as cute as ever.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
fat finger.  :knothead:  ALL
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Glad you are ok Bob. The older I get the less Iike hunting from the trees. For more than one reason.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shortlongbow:
Glad you are ok Bob. The older I get the less Iike hunting from the trees. For more than one reason.
I'll second that.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Bob, if you just gotta tinker then stay on the ground bud ! 20 feet up a tree hunting alone is no time for tinkering ! You ain't a cat with 9 lives ya know. You got lucky this time, maybe not the next..... Stop looking at the Summit SOP and get ya one. That wonderful family of yours would like to keep you around I am sure. We would too !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline CAST IRON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I'll second the seat of the pants harness,

it is light and easy to use so you will keep it on and not leave it in camp because it is unconfortable.

I have used one since they came out I even jumped out of the display unit at a deer show and no pain or brusing just a 5ft drop but it gave me all the info to get one right away they are not cheap though but worth every penny.

gm.

Offline tippit

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
If you are going to use a friction devise, you need to use a Petzl GriGri that is a self locking belay.  Here is a picture of my system on a SOP harness.  Sorry about all the pictures but the system works great. Search Tippit's Tree Stand Safety System on Pow Wow...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©