INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: '09 BANQUET THREAD"  (Read 522 times)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
'09 BANQUET THREAD"
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
O.K. yall,  I know most of you are like me and your only waking thoughts are about being in the woods right now.  But just the same, we've started making plans for the 09 banquet.  As of now we are intending on haveing our banquet in Clarksville at Twin Oaks.  Pappy has agreed to be our gracious host.  There alot of details yet to work out, but it will be held the last weekend of Feb.  In case of bad weather, we are going to try to have a place reserved in town like a hotel or something.  But there are hotels within very reasonable driving distance of Pappy's.  There's also plenty of room for camping and folks will probably be arriving Friday evening and staying through to Sunday.  
Chad is checking in on aquiring us a pretty cool guest speaker.  More details will follow and we'll post a tentative schedule.  In the mean time, make plans and have a safe and enjoyable season.

P.S.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions than please just let myself, or Tomi know.  We'll be glad to hear them.  

Ethan

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: '09 BANQUET THREAD"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
We're working on the overall content of the banquet. Did everyone like the "stations" set up last March? Was that something we want to continue to do and maybe with more volunteers, expand it? Let us know what you have in mind. If we do that again, we need volunteers for any crafts or "how to's" out there. Many of you make different wonderful archery equipment and others are really interested in how it's done. It's all in a comfortable setting, with no pressure on anyone, just happy people wanting to share this great sport with each other. Post it here or let Ethan, me or anyone else in the club know. Thanks for your help.    Mrs. CheapShot (Tomi)  :archer:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline YE OLDE DOE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Good to hear that some planning is going on since the time will fly and next year (2009) will be here before we know it.  I liked the "how to" sessions we had last time and I would be willing to do one on a deer horn taxidermy mount.  Hopefully I can get one this hunting season for demonstration purposes.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
Nice to hear it will be a little closer this time (for me anyway).  I hope to make it--probably camp--maybe even go up a little early and try to scratch on a bow.

Chad

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
I guess squirrel season will be going on, any place to give them a whirl nearby?

How to make some of JSOG's famous nutter arrows might be a good topic.....
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CastIron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Sapp:
I guess squirrel season will be going on, any place to give them a whirl nearby?

How to make some of JSOG's famous nutter arrows might be a good topic.....
You know a big pot of squirrel gumbo would be pretty good,  I bet I could strech 1/2 dozen or so to go around for lunch on Saturday   :)  

Would make a good cooking demo as well!

Grant,

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
Grant, I like the sound of that!

Offline CastIron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Well Mark says we can chase all the Squirrels we want at he club so bring your critter getters if we can get enough we can add them to the menu.

Also Mark secured a very nice "Party Barn" less than a mile from the club just in case we need it for the meal and speaker.

and as for space for any demo we want to do there is more than enough space for that at Twin Oaks.
Most of it covered and we have several canopies that we can set up if necessary.
lots of camping space a great deal graveled so it is not messy if it happens to rain.

Can't wait!!

Grant.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
Good to know we've got a back up spot reserved in case of weather.  That's alot better than having to drive all the way to town for a hotel incase the weather got ugly.  Sounding good so far!!

Ethan

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Even better ,no cost.It is a nice place,we have our fameily reunion there.It should be big enough
to seat a hundered or so.Already got most of the meat in the freezer so we are getting ready.
Should be good.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline The Singing Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Ok all---I just got confirmation from TJ Conrads of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine that he is available and would love to come out and do a slide presentation for us.

Pappy-- Can we bunk him at the cabin?

Bob-- We need to try and book him a flight out of Boise, Idaho. I would like to plan it so he can fly in early on Friday. I promised him to show him around Nashville a bit that afternoon. He will fly back out Sunday.

He only asks that his expenses be covered and we provide him a slide machine.

He offers presentations on Sitka Deer in Alaska, his backpack bowhunt for mountain goat, and the "ham slam" of pigs around the world.

I saw his presentations while I was in Germany this past summer, and thought he did a great job.
Shoot Straight,
Chad K. Slagle

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks Chad, Mr Conrads will be great. If he's interested we should also pick him up a 3 day small game license if he wants to hunt.

Does he need one of the old slide projectors or one of the power point projectors? I may be able to flush one out here at work.
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
Great Chad,Yes he will be welcome there,I might even clean it up a bit.You can plan to stay also
if you like.That will be fun.Me or Grant will provide a good supper for yall.I don't have a slide mechine,can someone come up with that ?
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 05:59:00 AM »
Great!  Thanks for working that out Chad.  I'm looking forward to the banquet already!

Ethan

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
That's great Chad. Looking forward to meeting him, and hearing some of his stories. Really enjoyed meeting Ron La clair last year. Thanks for putting it together.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline The Singing Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
David-- He was using an regular old slide projector, I think---but I will make sure.

Pappy- That sounds great. I will try and fly in about the same time as TJ. My brother will probably pick us up, but if we need to make other arrangements, I will let you know...

I will ask him about the small game license, too.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone!
Shoot Straight,
Chad K. Slagle

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
Ya it will be good to see you again also.If you need someone to pick you up let me know.Ron lives real close to the airport and I am sure wouldn't mind picking yall up if he need to.Got
12 sholders in the freezer so far,ready for some
of Grants world famous black pot cooking.Can't
wait,it should be fun.Are we going to pre sale tickets again this year ? So we have some idea what to expect.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
We are having a club meeting in the morning and I will firm everything up.The date is Feb.28
March 1st ? Is this correct ? I hope I am right.
If anyone reads this please confirm.We got the meat together and the practice rang
  will be up,also the place for our speaker.
I think we are all set.If anyone has any ideas
our sugestions please let me know.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Ethan,
Are you going to build another bow for raffle ? If so make it just like Skyler's..... Yes, I plan on winning this year, haha !!!

nocams  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response.  Pappy, you are correct sir.  And Jimmy, I will be making a bow.  I'll probably make the same style of bow that Skylers is.  When I shot Mason's Dwyer at the twin oaks shoot last year I fell in love with the feel of it.  That's kind of why I built it in that fashion.  I even built myself another one and that's the only one I've been shooting for the last 6 months or so.  I'll probably try to come up with something a little unique and different.  They say an artist never knows until it happens....If I were an artist that would probaly hold true for me to!!  :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©