INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2017 Virginia Bowhunter Stories  (Read 1438 times)

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
2017 Virginia Bowhunter Stories
« on: September 07, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
It's that time of year again.  We have some people out West.  Time to get this thread started.  I know of one antelope on the ground.  Maybe Jack will chime in.  Good luck and be safe out thar...

:archer:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2017 Virginia Bowhunter Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
I got this old boy on August 19th (the first day) in Wyoming. I was going to pass on him but there had been a lot of rain and in 12 hours I had only seen 4 antelope which is highly unusual. So I said if he gives me a shot I can't pass I will take it. He was more cautious than most I have ever seen. As it turns out he was a little past his prime. He gave me a quartering away shot at about 7 yards so I took it. He ran about 100 yards and laid down and that was it. I was able to sit on the deck at the ranch and watch the eclipse while sipping a glass of merlot. Our group went 6 for 6.

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
Congrats Jack!  I love hunting Pronghorns.  Great way to start the season!!

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
Hey Jack , thanks for chiming in. Congrats...  What were you shooting, arrow etc. ?
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
I have been shooting a 40# at my draw Black Widow PL. I made an arrow special for this hunt. It was a tapered fir shaft four footed with curly maple, fletched with red dyed wild turkey feathers with a white splice on the rear. I used a 175 grain Grizzly Bruin. I started shooting this bow in 2015 and have killed 2 antelope and 4 deer with it so far. The limbs are really nice figured myrtle I got from Idaho Curt. I really like this bow.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:22:00 AM »
Congrats Jack-way to start off the season. Hope everyone has a safe and productive season.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
What a great opener...  Well, I lost some water weight.  Hot Hot Hot.  But good to be in the woods.

:thumbsup:
PBS Regular

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:00 AM »
Nook,
 Thought only women had water weight-we have beer weight. Lets call it the way it is,lol. Had to kid some. Haven't been out due to work but will be out Thursday for a bit-looking forward to just getting out again.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Tom... I need to let some acorn juice out of a deer..  Cool Springs Deer/bear hunt this weekend.  Fun time in the woods..  Good luck to everyone.   :archer:
PBS Regular

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Word on the street is that things are dying early at the annual Cool Springs deer/Bear hunt.

I'll let those responsible tell their stories when they come down out of the mountains!

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:00 AM »
OK guys, let the cat out of the bag. Haven't even had the chance to go yet-really frustrating with the heat and all. Maybe this week it will cool some.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
Well another Cool Springs Deer/ Bear hunt is in the books.  I had a little luck last Wed. eve.  This old gal came in around 4:45 for some acorns.

I tried out my D&M custom arrows.  The single bevel Grizzly let the air out of her.  She ran less than forty yards.  As Black Arrow - Pops Scaggs said "There's one for the Pot"

Two Hats was able to show us the true form of hunting camp.  Here is his display of Bold Rock hard cider and chocolate chip cookis:

Jeff
PBS Regular

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Congrats on letting the hawk fly Nook. Danny that is my kind of kicking back.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Tom I was thinking the same thing.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Danny has it figured out for sure!  Wish I could have spent more time up there with you guys!

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
Oh Allen, you say that every year.  One of these years we're going to take your truck keys as soon as you show up.  Then you'll see what REALLY goes on at camp.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
:knothead:

Offline Elkstabber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
So I busted my butt chasing elk in Wyoming and New Mexico this year with nothing to show for it.  I could have killed small ones in both states but I was there for a big one.  New Mexico was the most frustrating because there were big bulls that I could get 50 yards from but as we know that's not enough.  When the cover runs out and there are 10 cows watching you're not going to get any closer to the herd bull.

Luckily, hunting in VA is lot easier.  Last Saturday evening I took my youngest daughter and we hunted out of the same tree.  Actually, she didn't hunt but wanted to come along.  So when small doe approached to 20' it was time to get busy.  The doe sniffed our footprints and got nervous.  About when she turned away I finally got the angle that I needed.  The shot was perfect and as the blood was spilling out of the bottom of her chest my daughter squealed with excitement!  She was more excited than I was.  

The blood trail was short but unfortunately, I didn't take a photo until my daughter reminded me to.  So, if anyone wants to see a marginal photo let me know and I'll figure out how to post.

Then this evening I hunted a new area and a crazy 3 point small buck trotted up near my stand and then circled.  Which was nuts because I wasn't near a food source nor did I call at all.  There were a few scrapes nearby (which was why I was there) but he didn't even check them.  I took his photo from about 8 yards.

I'll be hunting more intensely soon to kill a nice buck or the next doe.  I can see the bottom of my freezer and need to fix that.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Curt enjoyed you Facebook posts of your elk hunting.  Congrats on the doe with your daughter.  I'm sure she will remember those moments long into her adulthood.  Good hunting.  Jeff   :archer:
PBS Regular

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
Had a visitor come by last Sat.(10-28-17) around 10am.  Second one of the morning.  the first one caught me on my first sit break at 8:40 with the phone in my hand.  I swore I would only check the phone from a standng position from now on.  Glad I did.  An hour later I decided to check my phone for texts and this guy wandered in.  Stowed the phone and went into predator mode.  28 yard shot.  A little long, but hey this ain't no spectator sport....  20 yard recovery.

He's in the background.

PBS Regular

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©