INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2016 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 2313 times)

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »

My turn finally.What a dry spell for me. First shots of the year for me.The Zipper Nitro did its deed today.I posted the story in Highlights. I must say I miss being able to post any deer on here.lol
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
:jumper:

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Bravo Brother Dan...  We continue to bowhunt with the bangsticks going off.  I applaud you.  Great job.  Congrats again.   :campfire:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Coolspringer/media/IMG_1874.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/Coolspringer/IMG_1874.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_1874.jpg"/>
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Nice one Bill, you're a buck killer for sure. Congrats.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
I guess three tries at posting pics is a charm, and this picture might be too big for Tradgang rules, but....
This morning the "chase phase" of the rut finally put this buck in my lap.
It was the coldest morning, and the last day of my 11 day vacation.  I spent the first four days of vacation hunting at my camp in Pennsylvania.  No shot opportunities up there, but the bucks were cruising.  When I came home, I saw numerous bucks, and passed on shot opportunities on several small bucks and little does. Yesterday (Saturday) I saw five different bucks.  The last being a very big buck presenting a straight down shot opportunity right at dark.  I took the shot.  The buck ran 30 yards and stopped.  I could barely see him, but through my binoculars I could see he was looking at me.  He stomped his foot and then actually came closer.  He stomped his foot, then simply vanished.  I got down and looked for my arrow, assuming I'd missed.  It turns out my arrow was laying 20 yards away along the path the buck had taken.  it had a small amount of blood and hair on it.  I went to where the buck had stood and I found small pools of blood each place the buck stood.  I backed out and decided to hunt the same area this morning, then search after hunting a few hours.  
This morning started quickly with a small doe and a three pointer walking by at less than ten yards.  All was quiet for about two hours.  My daughter text me asking if I'd found the buck from last night.  I told her I was getting ready to start searching. Just then a doe ran by.   She had that look I'd seen the day before.  I stood up and looked in the direction from which she'd come.  Sure enough, this buck was trotting my way.  As he passed by at 17 yards, I mouth grunted loudly and he slammed on the brakes.  I was already starting my draw as he looked up at me.  The arrow was on the mark and he only made it 50 yards.  
I immediately got down and began looking for the buck from last night.  As I expected, I found about three more spots of blood, then nothing.  The way he acted following the shot makes me suspect I hit him along his shoulder, just missing his chest cavity.  It's very disappointing, but this guy made my day a little better.
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I hope you are doing well, and getting to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2016, 05:57:00 AM »
Congrats again Bill!  This weekend really had the bucks moving well.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Nice one Bill.  Congrates..     :clapper:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
Man you are getting it done.Its good to see the Gang doing well.Congrats again on a fine kill.
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
Keep after them people.  It's still the rut and guns are blazing.  But it's not impossible:

Story on Pow Wow:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=152254

Jeff
PBS Regular

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
What a day Nook! Congrats....We will be back at them this week bud.....Nice pic...lol

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
Kind of quiet out there recently, still trying to get things done.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Nice going guys, haven't been on in a while. The trad hunting season for me is over, couple of weeks ago I finally had an opportunity at 15 yards on a decent 4 pt with my selfbow, and I embarrassingly shot over his back, it was a thrill, but now the deer are in the fields at our farm so I'm putting up the bow and gonna put meat in the freezer.

I'll see you guys during the off season! Keep at em if you can
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©