INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2016 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 2305 times)

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Just wanted to drop in and say congrates to you guys on your success. I have been out and seen game but the only thing I loosed an arrow on was a nice Gobbler.Well the results was in his favor,my LB limb found the blind upon release and well you can guess what happened. All in a days hunt lol.
Tom I am glad to hear you are out enjoying the woods....

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks Danny, timing is every thing and for a change mine was spot on with the hips. Went out Thurs and passed a young 6 but saw 4 turkeys which I haven't seen on the mountain in a few years. Hope they make a comeback. Best of luck (and skill) to y'all.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I was blessed with doe # 2 for the season this evening. I have seen this doe the two previous evenings that I have hunted. I made a move on her this evening. It worked out just right.

The shot was 18 yards. I watched her go down about 50 yards away.  43# ACS 370 gr. Beeman Centershot tipped with a VPA 125 gr 3 blade. It zipped right through her.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 06:32:00 AM »
Good going Allen on a fine doe. Leave room in the freezer for the buck meat.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks Tom. Yep, it's time to start looking for a buck.    :thumbsup:

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
Congrats again Bud.  Way to start the season.   :clapper:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
ACS and Ten Ring Strings...  A Virginia deers' worst nightmare:

Saturday morning 10-15-16.  Same set up as above.  I like them at 8 yards.     :thumbsup:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Great job.At least Nook is showing me what they look like.lol
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 05:44:00 AM »
Congrats again Jeff.

I have passed a few small ones lately. Evan is none to happy with me.    :scared:

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
This past weekend was our Cool Springs Bear/Deer hunt.  I hunted last Wednesday evening in 88 degree temps throught Saturday with mid 50's.  I didn't see a deer.  Others in our group did see bear and deer.  Bill Weigold (Cool Springer) got the job done with a nice 8 pointer.  The buck weighed in at 178 pounds live weight.  Very good for this area.  Here it is:

A great time with friends is a success in it's own right.   Jeff
PBS Regular

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Agreed.  Every hunt with the Cool Springs Gang is a success.

My Friday morning started off with seeing a bear at daybreak.  About 20 minutes later I saw a bobcat.  Then at about 8:30 this buck shows up.  I made a good shot on him resulting in quite the drag out of the hollow (thanks for your moral support Jeff   ;) ).  Later that day I saw a coyote and a red fox.  Quite the day for seeing four legged predators!

The annual camping/bowhunting weekend is always one of the highlights of my fall hunting season.  Thanks to Travis for hosting the event every year.  Thanks to Danny for renting the portajohn.  Hmmm, how do you spell portajohn?     :confused:   Thanks to Allen for always stopping by camp to offer some sound shooting advise.  And thanks to Jeff for, well, being Jeff!
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »
Great job Bill!  I wish life would enable me to camp/hunt with you men once in a while....oh well.

Always a great time just hanging a camp a bit.    :campfire:

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Well Bill I did give you my seat in the truck. You being all sweaty and rutty.     :p    

And, I'm the unofficial photographer..      :campfire:
PBS Regular

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
Nice buck Bill, thats getting your bow broke in this fall. Good hunting to the Cool Springs gang.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
Nice going Bill! Man you guys are getting it done!

I have yet to see anything close enough. Here lately I haven't even been able to go, been too busy with work and getting home too late    :banghead:

Hopefully I'll get my chance again. I'm going to bow hunt through Smokepole season to try for my second traditional kill (hopefully)
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Congrats again Bill glad to be there and a part of of a sucessful hunt trip. Me on the other hand am just a spectator this year.I have hd the pleasure of seeing deer but no shots.
Work has other plans for me the rest of Bow Season. I hope to still take a stroll again with the bow before long though.Again it isnt always about having one down,but darn sure makes it feel better.lol
God bless to everyone and their sucesses and be safe out there.

Danny

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
For those who've yet to have shooting opportunities, last year I had no shots during the first 3 weeks of the season.  I then killed two deer in two days, followed by another one less than a week later.  Moral of the story, keep after em!!!  The opportunities will come.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Great job, Bill!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
It's been kind of quiet on here for a few days. Here is the deer that I killed this past Monday. The shot was a whopping TWO yards.    :archer:  

My litte 43# ACS did it's job perfectly again! I love this bow!

Sorry for the hero pics. I'm usually alone, and I had this one processed before the kids got home from school.

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Great job Allen.  This is our last day of bow season.  The young bucks are dogging does.  The big boys will be out soon.....   :clapper:
PBS Regular

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©