INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2016 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 2334 times)

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
2016 Virginia Hunting Stories
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Yup...  It's that time of year again.  Here's to everyone.  Have a safe and great season.  Jeff

:archer2:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Ranger193

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
My first year with traditional gear.  I am excited and have been practicing hard.  Most fun I've had in years.
"Beauty is in the eye of the bow-holder."

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Yes indeed 2 more weeks left after tomorrow! Can't wait!

Good luck to everyone this season, especially to you Ranger! The first time I took my longbow out into the woods it felt good and hearing my folks tell me "What're you going to do when a deer is out there at 30 yards?"     :rolleyes:  

Never phased me, I am still hunting with traditional gear after 3 years. It's too much fun like you said, and it's a bonus when you take your first animal! Hopefully you'll be able to experience that feeling this year!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:26:00 AM »
Not much longer now and yes indeed-have a safe and fun season-everyone. Really looking forward to this fall for obvious reasons. Best of luck to all.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
How's the newest new hip Tom.  Hope you get some great hunts.  Take care.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:21:00 AM »
Jeff,
 The latest hip is doing well but am cautious on uneven ground or rocky areas. Slower but have never been a speed freak. But am pain free in the legs so all is well although trees are out. Good luck to all you fellows on the other side. Bionic hippie out.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
One week to go! Acorns are dropping. Stands are hung. Clothes are clean. Broadhead are sharp.  Com on next Sat!

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:26:00 AM »
Two and a wakeup. Hope the rain is gone by Sat. morn. Unwilling to hunt in the rain anymore.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
Wouldn't you know it. The morning before the opener there were 2 deer in the back yard. They may be in trouble if they do that tomorrow. lol
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Tomorrow, we all meet at dawn....   :archer:  

Good luck, and be safe out there!

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 04:28:00 AM »
Good morning fellow Virginia trad hunters! Today's the day, I hope you guys stay safe and pack a rainsuit. Good luck to all and let's go get 'em!
   :archer:
Randy

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I suppose I was the first to shoot yesterday, so I will post pics first. Most of you have already seen them. I know that I'm not the only one who had success yesterday.    :jumper:  

I shot this doe at 7:15. The shot was 17 yards. She travelled about 60 yards before expiring.

About 45 minutes later a young doe came running by. I looked back toward where she came from, and saw something small running away. I thought "man that looked like a coyote". I then turned back and standing 15 yards in front of me was another coyote. I quickly nocked an arrow and shot it.  It ran about 100 yards.

I was shooting my A&H ACS 43@27 with Beeman Centershot 600s and VPA 125 gr. broadheads.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Congrats again Allen and btw-Happy Birthday. I went out in the afternoon and sat beneath a white oak dropping thumb sized acorns. Just before dark heard a deer walking behind me. The hussy decided not only to wind me but to stay and blow to let the world know where I was. Still great just to be out there, know eventually I'll find one that is blind,deaf, and has a cold.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
Allan, what do you do with the yote pelt?
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Dave, I'm planning on getting it tanned. I'm toying with the idea of getting a pedestal mount similar to my red fox that I took a few years ago wih my Silvertip, but it's SO pricey!

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Broke in my ACS CX last Saturday night with a small doe.  Ten Ring string (18 strand Fury) and a ACS....  a deadly combination.  57@29.5 inches, 64 inch bow.  Gold tip 300 with a single bevel Grizzly on the working end, 555gr.  She went 15 yards and collapsed.  Sorry, didn't take any pictures.  Had five deer under me yesterday morning.  didn't want to try on a yearling.  The mama doe was alert and I swore I would not risk another shot at a alert deer.  She was broadside at 25 yards.  Number five went behind me at 10 yards.  By the time I was able to turn around she was 20 yards. Nothing but butt and walking away.  Fun hunt.  
There's a couple of other Cool Springers that need to chime in.  Busy opening weekend.  A big congratulations to all my brothers doing it the hard way.  We accept the challenge that is Traditional Bowhunting.  Jeff
PBS Regular

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
You da man Jeff!  
Congrats on the first notch in the ACS.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
Way to go Jeff, congrats!

I on the other hand haven't had much luck. Opening morning I had three deer show up about 40 yards away at 8.30am, one was a small hat rack 3 or 4 pointer, the sucker decided to bed down 30 yards away in a thicket below me down in a bottom (out of my range and can't thread an arrow through).

I waited until 10:30 to see if he would move and never did. So I snuck out of there as quietly as possible. Saturday, Sunday and yesterday evening I didn't see a thing. I am more of an evening hunter so I think I'm gonna change spots.

I think once the farmers cut the corn they planted on our plot, then my stand may do some good. But for now, time to relocate
Randy

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
Congrats again Jeff.  It's looking like a good year so far.

I passed on a nice 1 1/2 year old buck last night.  Gotta let 'em grow.     :jumper:

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »
Way to open up the season Nook. Am going out this evening for the 2nd hunt this fall. Just fine to be out there. Good luck to all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©