INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Jennifer's update  (Read 1173 times)

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
Jennifer's update
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
Well, you may have noticed, we didn't shot - at all - this year.  And yes, her new Schafer is still on the wall.  

Jen knew something was wrong with her foot and shoulder, but never really wanted to address either concern; however, she was careful not to aggravate either injury any more than necessary.

So, finally, in late October she had enough and had surgery on her foot (had a tendon taken off it's original placement, an additional bone removed, and an anchor drilled into another bone and the tendon reattached to the anchor (something like putting up a picture on the wall).  
     YEAH!  She can now walk, but............. sore still.

Since she was out of work for two months for "right foot rehab".... she decided to have her right shoulder surgery.  In the last year, she had the MRI, and shots, and the doc told her the surgery would be a quicky...  just the removal of a bad bone spur(s), and he wouldn't bother repairing the known laberal tear.  After all, nothing else was showing on the MRI.

Well, the 1.25 hour surgery turned into 3 hours of surgery.  He found and repaired two muscles having 80% tears (one rotator cuff muscle... the supraspinatus, and the bicep/long head), with a third muscle having a minor tear.  The orthopedist used anchors to repair/hold the badly torn muscles in place).  Also, he did repair the labrael tear, and the HUGE bone spur was debured.

The last thing the doc said to both of us was... if you (Jennifer) waited another year... she would have had no option but to have a shoulder replacement, because nothing would have been left of the muscle tissue.  It was all shredded. OUCH!!!!  

We aren't sure if it was from horse back ridding accidents, or ??????  (Personally, I've never heard of anyone having a torn bicep from archery.)

So... 4 to 6 months (hopefully 5) and she'll be as good as new.  LOL

So, Jennifer is bummed out, but over the initial two weeks of EXTREME PAIN after surgery.   If you want to send well wishes... I think that would help cheer her up.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jennifer's update
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:52:00 AM »
Get well Jen!!!  

Thanks for the update Dave. I was just thinking about you two. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
Hope she gets well with time and Merry Christmas and a better New Year. Best to both of you.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
Hope she gets well with time and Merry Christmas and a better New Year. Best to both of you.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
My Best to you and Jen this holiday season.  Hang in there Jen.  Hope you will be better in no time.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
And you both.  Where is Danny?
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Hey Dave,
I hope you and Jen had a great Christmas.  Danny is around.   I think he has a lot of irons in the fire, but I hear there's going to be a few derelicts shooting at his house tomorrow afternoon.  I can say that since I may be one of them.
Hope to see both of you in the coming months.
Bill
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
Thanks for letting us in on this!   :readit:

Jen will have to get back to losing wwf with me until she is strong enough to punch me out.

You know where to find me!
Killdeer   :readit:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Bill,

Best wishes on getting all of your arrows back today.   I know that Danny just did rehab on his shoulder, and was hoping he was around to remind Jennifer that blue skies are head.

Killdeer, she won't be shooting till around June 2016 (due to the extent of injuries).  I wish it was only the rotator cuff, but there was much more involved. But, the good news is she is on the mend.     :D  

Also, send her a WWF game... get her back into it!!!

Tomorrow, I'll be calling Schafer Bows to see if they have very LOW poundage set of limbs.

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Dave,
 Soryy I havent been around much. It has been a busy time for me as all my kids flew home for the Holidays and left in the last couple days.
 I did get good enough from the shoulder surgery to take one deer this year.I really hate to hear about Jens shoulder.It is quite a recovery period . It has been a year for me and there are still sometihings I have to be aware of not doing.
 Doing all the therapy was he key for me.I laid off shooting for at least 6 months and started really light then.
 Tell Jen to hang in there and she will be shooting in no time.
Take care and Happy New Year. I hope to be around this year for some shooting. I have a new Zipper Nitro LB coming soon....that should be motivation

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
A reminder from a "cheap" guy like me, a Bow-Fit training tool is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new bow, or limbs.
When I injured my neck, I used it religiously before going to bed each night.  It took a while to get strong enough to pull a real bow, but it was a huge help.  And like I said, cheap!
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
Danny, Bill... thanks!  

Today is an achy day.  It was the first day she went on a walk without of the sling attached (but she was told Jan 7th would be the first time she could leave the sling at home).  

Compared to 3 weeks ago... much, much better on pain management and generally living life.

Right now, she is going to Physical Therapy twice a week.  The PT is the "bad person", and I'm the "good guy" doing general "fluff and buff" type massage movements (for now)... just to help break the cycle of pain.

After next week, she'll be in the 6th week, and that's when I start my active movement work with her.  

Yes, I'll keep it at a "good hurt", but as you all know... it won't be pleasant.  However, as long as she can cuss at me in full sentences (as we go thru the routines)... it's all good!
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Bill, I will look into the bow fit.  The Schafer limbs are out.... $550 is the cost for a set.  Ouch!  I'm waiting on Beth to see how much she can shave off of the limbs Jennifer has now.

I will be calling John Wert, Lancaster Archery, and see what he has up his way (on the discount shelves).  I remember Tim Golden's Black Magic ILF riser.  Maybe we can find a few sets of limbs (of varying weight) to go alongside it.  

Without a doubt, Jen is very cautious with her arm right now.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Good luck with everything will continue to pray for a quick recovery....

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Thank you Danny.  I'll let her know.   She is doing better, and she can see and feel improvement... right up to the time / right before she does something she shouldn't have, and is "reminded" the arm doesn't go that way ... yet.   OUCH!
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Dennis Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
hi Dave,
hope Jennifer gets her mobility and strength back soon so maybe you can get to some shoots this year.

Dennis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Dennis,

Thanks!  I'll pass your thoughts along to Jen.  Hopefully, next month we'll be down there (me shooting, but she'll be walking the new puppy... depending on weather).

And Bill, I just got her BOWFIT in the mail yesterday.  So, after she has full range of motion, and when she's ready - she'll start on strengthening.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Hey Dave-Don't know what you think of the things, but I have a Bowflex unit I'd make you a good deal on if you think it would be useful for Jen's rehab.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Doc, thank you but... no room.   I think the Bowfit will do well for her needs.  

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 06:32:00 AM »
I reckon she's got a good supervisor   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©