INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2015 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 3359 times)

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2015 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Congrats Jack. Enjoy those tender back straps...
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
Jack-you are having a great season and some good eating this winter-congrats.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
You guys are doing great!

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I finished getting the doe in the freezer this morning. I think I will take the rest of the day off and take my "boss" out to dinner this evening since she helped with getting the deer into the freezer.   :thumbsup:
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Elkstabber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
It looks like its been a good year so far.  I've added another doe to my freezer and passed on a couple of small bucks.  I've got a feeling that within the next two weeks the bucks are going to make some serious mistakes...

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 06:31:00 AM »
Killed a doe Sunday afternoon but coyotes found her over night,made the mistake of leaving her as unsure of hit but she only went 60 yards. Went back yesterday morning to find a picked clean skeleton so tagged her anyway. Damn yotes have to eat too I guess. Hope to see them sometime-maybe even the score.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
Tom, sorry to hear that. I have a bunch of yotes at my spot this year.....no fun at all!

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
That Sucks Tom.  Been there too.  Not good sign when Danny and I tracked up to a good blood pool with a coyote turd in it.  15 yards further were the bones.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 05:54:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Tom. Yea them coyotes will get their dinner as soon as they can. My brother and nephew went hunting last weekend (non trad) and killed a deer that evening. As they dragged the deer to their vehicle and started to field dress it, my brother heard a rustle in the bush, he shined his light and 30 yrds away were two coyote watching them and waiting on their deer! It makes me want to carry my sidearm into the woods     :scared:    

So be safe out there!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the good words guys, will stick with it, maybe bring home some venison I can eat. At least she didn't go to waste. This is why i like to hunt mornings as it gives me more daylight to wait and then trail. Life's always a teacher.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
That too bad Tom, I know how you feel. It happened to me a few years ago. Like you said "Life's always a teacher"' Now I will do anything to keep from leaving one over night.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Elkstabber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Coyotes are something else.  I shot a doe a few years ago.  Made a great shot and came home to have dinner with the family because I had promised that I would.  Immediately after dinner I went after the doe.  In the hour that I left her the coyotes found her.  All that I could salvage was one backstrap and one hindquarter.  Before that I had no idea there were that many around.

I began coyote trapping a week later.  Caught two in the first week and a total of six that fall!!!  I highly recommend toehold traps for coyotes - it'll thin their numbers down.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »
Going to give it another try tomorrow after a short morning at work. Going to a different place and maybe the yotes won't be on this property, yeah right. But always worth a go.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
I got this button buck yesterday. He sure fooled me, I thought he was a doe. Oh well he will be tasty and count toward earn a buck.
Jack

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
More tasty deer.  Took her yesterday morning with my Stalker Coyote.  Second deer with it this year.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
Way to go Jeff. We must be the only ones hunting.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Well...  I don't want to steal anyones thunder.  But, I had a friend join me yesterday.  (Bill Weigold - Cool springer)  

I'll let him chime in.   :archer2:

Selfie stick in action....
PBS Regular

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Dang way to go guys! I've been trying to get #2 but nothing has come close enough except squirrels. Now firearms opens up this weekend and the farmers that lease the land we hunt is harvesting the soybeans so the deer will for sure be in the fields so I'm going to have to trade my bow in for a gun     :(  We desperately need some deer meat!

At least I've got my first trad deer this year!  I'm going to work on making some self-bows before next season, I sure would like to take a deer from a bow I made; we'll see how it goes!

Otherwise, I'll be seeing you guys at Dixie or Blackstone!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
I wouldn't call taking the world's smallest 6 pt. "thunder", but here's the story.
Jeff and I both took time off from work to hunt the best week of the season.  This was my 5th morning in a row, and buck activity was increasing each day.  We hunted another property Tuesday afternoon with a few deer seen,  but no blood drawn.  Wednesday morning Nook offered to have me join him on the farm he knows well.  
You may know the feeling when someone takes you to unfamiliar property.  You feel a little helpless due to not knowing the lay of the land, deer movement patterns, etc.  Well I know Nook ALWAYS sees deer, and he USUALLY gets some shooting, so I had to trust him when he said he was going to put me in the "J" tree.  He shined his light on the crooked tree, said "good luck buddy" and was gone.  When I started climbing with my Summit Open Shot tree stand, I knew why he left so quickly.  He didn't want to hear me grumbling about how to negotiate the tuns of the "J".  
As daylight increased, I thought Nook was giving me a line when he told me how many deer had been shot from this tree.  It didn't look like a special place, but like I said, Nook ALWAYS sees deer.  
By 7:30 Nook had sent a text with a picture of his doe.  I had yet to see a deer, and honestly I was a bit frustrated that he, once again, had action so quickly:)  At about 8:30, I look to my left and see a deer walking down a farm road. I notice the "massive"  rack on him and know right away he's a shooter (everything's a shooter when you hunt with Nook   ;) )  His path should take him behind me at about 10 yards.  This buck is cruising, and he's walking steadily.  When he gets to a shooting lane I bleat at him.  He hits the breaks, but looks right up at me.  Now this deer is not the sharpest tool in the shed, so instead of bolting, he makes a 90 degree turn and walks broadside at 10 yards.  One problem, he won't stop walking and gets past me without offering a shot.  At 23 yards he finally hesitates, and I shoot at him quartering away.  The arrow hits low behind the shoulder, but it looks like there was no penetration.  He runs off with that "hurt bad" look, so I had some confidence.
I waited 2 1/2 hours for Nook to join me on the trail.  During that time there was another encounter with a one antlered buck that seemed interested in my grunts, but would not offer a shot.
We could not find blood when  we started our search, so we started searching blindly.  I was able to find him in fairly short order.  When I back-trailed him, I found a good blood trail.  I just missed seeing it when we started our search.  The arrow did hit low, behind the left shoulder.  It passed through and hit the off side leg bone, explaining why there appeared to be little penetration.
There you have it, the story of how Nook and I "doubled up" on November 11th.   Thanks Jeff, it was a good day!
And for the other important details, this is my third deer this season with my Foley longbow.  53# @ 30".
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Very cool Bill.
Jack
PBS Associate member