INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2015 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 3247 times)

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2015 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Well fellas I am on the board with my first traditional kill! It only took 3 years but this morning I got my first!

We hunt a 400 acre farm here in Orange, Virginia. The owner of the property is actually a home builder we sub-contract drywall and paint for.

My set up is right on the edge of a finger of woods. A field of soybeans is behind me and in the middle of the finger of hardwoods is a thicket with holly trees and a dry creek running in the middle.

Right at daylight this morning is saw 10 does crossing the field behind me about 100 yards away, so that got me pumped. Then about a quarter to eight I saw a doe about 80 yards in the woods to my right and then I happen to look and a small doe was coming right to me less than 20 yards away!

So I slowly stood up and followed it with my Redstag longbow and it walked quartering away from me out to 20 yards in front of me, then slightly turned broadside. I gap shoot, so I placed the broad-head a quarter the way up the front leg like I practice which puts me dead on at yardages 20 and less, then stared at the crease behind the shoulder and let the arrow fly.

Time seemed to slow down as I watched that arrow flying straight and perfect right to the vitals, but all of a sudden at the last few seconds of impacting the deer I saw the arrow fish-tail and then fly further back and hit just in front of the hindquarters!         :eek:            :banghead:            :banghead:  

Upon the autopsy I discovered my first arrow hit in front of the hindquarters and the angle was so steep it exited low barely missing the heart but barely clipped the bottom of the second lung. I felt horrible watching it finally pass from my back up shot.

I have no idea if a gust of wind hit my arrow and made it fish-tail or what. When practice shooting my arrows fly straight and true and hit where I want them to, but not this time.

Either way I am grateful for the doe and the meat she will provide me and my family, as well as some sinew for my bow/arrow making hobby. Unfortunately the hide was a bit shot up so I couldn't really save enough of it to make a quiver like I want.

What a rush for my first though! Will definitely never forget this!

Equipment:

Redstag Reflex/Deflex Longbow 64" ttt 57# @ 28"
3rivers Traditional Only 400 spine carbon arrows cut 28.5" tipped with 100 grain brass insert and 150 grain VPA Terminators.

Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Congrats Randy!  You will never forget your first!!

Offline Elkstabber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Congratulations Randy!  I remember the details of my first traditional kill vividly and you will too.

About the arrow that flew screwy…  Forget about it.  You handled the follow up perfectly and that's what truly counts.

I'd suggest that you double check your arrow flight using broadheads.  If they fly well then toss that arrow or make it a stump shooter only.  Then you've got the bad arrow out of your quiver.

You handled it perfectly.  Your next traditional kill will go smoothly.

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
The Cool Springs Madison Deer/Bear hunt is complete.  Tradition archers in attendance were Bill Weigold, Fahad Bafakih and myself.  I was lucky enough to take a yearling and a doe. Here is the doe:

Blacktail elite, 57 lb. at 29.5 inches, 62 inch. Goldtip blems 55-75 30" with a right bevel 175 gr. Grizzly.  Total arrow weight 530 gr.

A great half week of camping and hunting.  Here is my selfie stick in action:

Look Ma No Selfie Stick....

Jeff Harper    :campfire:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Yes that is a cameo by A.S. Far left.  He came by to cheer us on.
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Oh yeah congrats to Randy.  Your first is always way cool.  After switching to traditional it only took me 4 years to score.     :clapper:
PBS Regular

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks Allen, Curtis and Jeff!

Congrats to you too as well Jeff, way to go!
Randy

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Nook..I am still a trad Archer just not carrying one.lol

You make me feel handicapped. :)   hmmmmm I am ha! Just for a short while I assure you.

Great work bud!
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Way to go Jeff, looks like a good time was had by all attending. Congrats Randy on your first-always will be remembered fondly.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
I got this turkey last week in Nebraska.

Yesterday morning I had this buck in front of me for 50-55 min. He finally gave me a 10 yard broadside shot and I couldn't help myself. I have seen bigger bucks but when he was 10 yards I said a buck in the freezer is better than two in the woods. It was cool watching him spar with an 8" spike for awhile.

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »
Nice turkey and buck Jack, agree with the buck in the freezer idea. Tag soup is not very tasty.

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Nicely done Jack.  Your having a great season.  Congrates.  Jeff
PBS Regular

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Congrats to everyone who's been successful. This weekend will be my first real chance to get out; so far lots of does and some little fellas running around...the bruisers started moving in about this time last year. Found a bathtub-sized scrape this am in the back of the property, so looks promising. Good luck; be safe.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys. After all the medical problems I had last year, I hope the good fortune continues.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »

Finally scored after a two year dry spell with TRADgear. Now that my shoulder is better I thought to give it a try with the Zipper. I now know how much I missed it. Yesterday would be my last October hunt for this year.Me and Nook headed out yesterday afternoon and look what the wind blew in.lol
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Way to go Danny, nothing like the first after a dry spell. How well I know.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
Congrats Danny-looks like a good eating. Went out yesterday and had a 8 walk by at 45 yards. Good to see, just need him a mite closer.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
Stay after him Tom. I look forward to getting back out but won't be til November sometime...

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
Way to go Jack and Danny! Hopefully I'll at least get one more before the season ends!
Randy

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
I got this doe this morning. She circled around me and looked at me several times then gave me a 7-8 yard broadside shot. I saw her fall. I think she is a last years fawn. Should be good eating. My new widow seems to be working just fine.

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©