INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Starts Soon!  (Read 815 times)

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Starts Soon!
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »
Opener on Sat. and of course will be working but to all of you out there-good luck and have a productive and safe season.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starts Soon!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I'll try to keep my fletching dry.  The Cool Springs Bear/deer trip is next week.  Bring it on...   :archer:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Stickbndr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Good luck to all. Wont make it out until Tuesday. But my Bear/Deer trip starts on the 10th. Long awaited 2 wk vacation.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Good luck to all you guys. I will be in Nebraska chasing turkeys. I hope to be back late next week so I can get back to deer hunting.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Good luck Tom and everyone else.I have been gone for quite a spell and might be able to hunt little with the recurve.I still don't feel 100% into it yet.Weather permitting I hope to get a swing on one with the curve this year.

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Hey Danny, hope you are well enough to spend some quality time out in the woods, regardless of method.Know my knees are slowing me down and climbing is not in the forecast this year either but have tree seat and ghillie-will travel.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Good luck to everyone this season. Like Tom I think I might try the ghillie suit ground game some this year. I was hoping to try and get my first trad kill on camera, but with this weekend and all of next week supposedly being hit by these hurricanes and the rain, it looks like I'll be hunting without a lens watching me for at least the first start of the season.     :banghead:      :(    

Rain or not, I will be in those woods. I just hope my longbow can stay together from the wetness     :dunno:      ;)
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Sorry double post   :smileystooges:
Randy

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
First scrapes appeared this weekend; back side of cornfield along tree line.  Little spike running around, but tracks along scrape line indicate something bigger is moving through.  And so it begins...

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
Tomorrow will be my first sit of the season, hoping for good weather as I worked Sat. and refuse to go in the rain anymore. Just to get out in the woods again will be reward enough-been too long.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Since being washed out opening weekend I got home from work in enough time to hunt Monday and Tuesday evening, but not this evening (just made it home now as a matter of fact).

All I saw last night was a doe and her two fawns walking across the field behind me about 100 yards away and skirted the wood line I was in. No shots and that's all I seen.

Monday however was a different story...

I am almost too embarrassed to post this but here it goes!    :smileystooges:  

We live on a 20 acre lot which backs up to our neighbor's 100 yard subdivided, undeveloped (woodland) lots (our neighbor has I think 5 20 acre lots subdivided). On one of those lots about 100 yards from the state road back where a thicket meets up with hardwoods, my dad placed a stand a couple of years ago.

As soon as I got off work I grabbed my Redstag Longbow and headed to that stand. When it first started getting prime time I heard a blow from a deer up towards the clear cut probably about 50 yards from the stand. I believed I got winded, so I thought my hunt was over; but nonetheless I stayed until dark, and I am glad I did.

Next thing I know, about 10 minutes before dark a mature doe comes walking straight towards me from the thicket. Now mind you the thicket is about 15 yards from me, so I didn't see her until she was about right on me.

With her head down browsing I slowly stood up, she was quartering towards me angling to my left (which is perfect as I shoot right). She was a mere 7 steps away from my stand, I followed her the whole way with the bow, I found the lower limb of my bow was in between my legs as the tree prevented me from canting my bow diagonally across my chest. At 7 steps and broadside I 'gap shot' or 'pre aimed' my broadhead and let the arrow fly.

Unfortunately I watched the arrow sail harmlessly right, and I mean RIGHT under her belly. She bounded, stopped and turned for a few moments leaving me in disbelief, and then walked off. She never knew I was there or what the heck happened, I didn't even know what happened.    :knothead:    But all of that went out the door when I drew back and that shot angle threw me off lol.    :p  

I know it happens to the best of us, but I mean 7 steps!? I still can't believe I botched that opportunity. But at least now, hopefully I'll make that correction next time!    :rolleyes:
Randy

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
Clean misses happen but much better than a sloppy hit. Exciting isn't it?

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Went out this morning for the first time, took the tree seat and had a yearling at 15 yards for about 5 minutes. Now if Momma had come along it would have been game on. Total fun though.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Got a small button buck this morning hunting a 400 acre farm we have permission for.

It's my first official trad kill! What a rush! I am still a little bummed on killing something so small and that my shot placement wasn't 100% perfect. I am thankful for this little fella and the meat he will provide me and my family, as well as some sinew for my arrow/bow making hobby!

Story is on pow-wow!
Randy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©