INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2014 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
2014 Virginia Hunting Stories
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Well we are less than a month out for deer season.  Thought I would start another thread for stories.  Good mast crop this year.  Hunting should be normal.  I've already posted this critter once, but here's a copperhead I took a month ago.  Good luck to everyone.      :archer2:     Jeff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a53itxnsni6h3n4/2014-07-15%2020.21.44.jpg  

3 yards with my new Stalker Coyote.
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Stickbndr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
a couple of those would look sweet on those limbs.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Season's already open in 4 Northern VA counties...antlerless only...and it's open to guns (where guns are allowed). That means wear your orange even bowhunting in NOVA in September.

Kingsnake

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Stickbndr,

I had a Shrew Scout with copperhead skins.  Got dive bombed by birds when in trees.  They were after the snake...  Decided to stay away from snake skins for hunting.  Same thing happened with beaver balls.  Had a couple of hawks swoop in looking for a mouse.  Now it's spider legs for me.   :thumbsup:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
Those were turkey buzzards getting' after ya, Nook....snakeskins had nothing to do with it.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Well guys I wont be posting any pics again this year.I have a torn rotator cuff and will be having surgery in Dec..I will be in the woods but not with Trad gear.Good luck to all ya'll.Look forward to the upcoming pics..

God Bless

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Danny, good luck regardless. Ethics not weaponry is more important-at least to me. Love early bow season though. One more week and a wake up.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
Two days and a wake up...  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Sorry about the shoulder Danny.  

No story here.  Deer 1.  Hunter 0

Dang it!!
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:00 AM »
Same boat here, David but will keep on giving it a good try.

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Deer 2 Jeff 0.  Well - "We Accept the Chalenge That is Traditional Bowhunting"  The more I hunt the luckier I get.      :archer:
PBS Regular

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Driving home from work this evening... looked over into a local field... 4 does just eating this and that.  However, two bucks fighting/full battle!  LIFE IS GOOD!

Ughhhhhhhhhhh, they are mean little critters.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Had a bobcat walk under me around 0715 this morning.  It never knew I was there.  Very cool animal.  So quiet and stealthy.

This was the fifth bobcat I've seen while hunting.  Three of them were within a half mile of my house.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Bill taut he taw a puddy tat...he did, he did.....Bill did tee a puddy tat!   :biglaugh:  

Enough funny stuff, time to go kill something.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
I had Rescue Squad duty yesterday evening starting at 9:30. In short, long night.  Got back home at 7 a.m.  

I was happy to get a few hours of sleep.  Only had a few sessions today, which allowed me to be in the tree stand by 3:15.  

Couldn't see much... pretty thick leaf canopy still, with LOTS of acorns dropping.

I didn't even see the doe that ran right by my stand until she was in front and then running away from me (it took no more than 2 to 3 seconds from first sighting to out of sight).  I was hoping something was behind her, but...not.  

Ok... happy to see a deer, but Jen and I still have an empty freezer.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Not hearing much, or more like ANYTHING, from you Virginians.  What gives?!!
Not that I've been able to add much to the chatter either though.  
I'm seeing deer every time out, but no shots since opening day.

The Cool Springs Gang will be in Madison County at our annual 3,4,5 day camping/hunting event this coming week.  Really looking forward to it   :)   Hopefully we'll have a few stories to tell!
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline Elkstabber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Okay folks here's a brief hunting story.

David Bartholomew's post got me thinking when he said that his freezer is empty.  

My job had me traveling up until last week.  My two daughters drew straws to see who got to hunt with me on which afternoon.  On the first hunt a couple of does snorted at us and they didn't show themselves.  On the second hunt (last Friday) we made memories that will last a lifetime.

My youngest daughter sat next to me - I hung two stands side by side on the same tree.  We were about 14' up overlooking a food plot.  But because I've been working so hard to put up a fence I didn't get a chance to plant it this year.  So it was just a bunch of weeds.  Of course the deer still pass through and right about sunset a deer came by.

He immediately appeared to be bigger than most bucks and best of all, he was marching on a mission.  He didn't look around much and certainly didn't stop to eat but rather just briskly walked down the edge of the trees.  He was looking for does.  On this course he passed about 20 yards from us.  I'm an instinctive shooter and I practice on moving targets so a walking deer is no problem.  (I shoot about half of my deer while walking).  He walked broadside at 20 yards and never knew what hit him.  My daughter watched the whole encounter that didn't even last 20 seconds.  The arrow passed completely though his chest and still penetrated about a foot into the ground behind him.  

My daughter thought it was cool to see him so close without a clue that we were there.  She had a perfect view of the hit and when he jumped into the brush she remembered exactly where he entered.  Which was good because I didn't remember it right.  Also, she laughed at how badly I was shaking after the shot.

She bloodtrailed him which didn't take long because he only went about 60 yards.  And then she spent the next 10 minutes holding his antlers and petting him.  She called the buck "our deer" and proudly told her sister all about the trip.

I've always shown my girls where the meat that we eat comes from and they've never considered it "gross".  She watched me quarter the deer and helped me load it into game bags.  That way I can age the meat for a week before cutting and grinding it (it's great that way).  The next morning we had tenderloins and eggs for breakfast!

Now my oldest daughter is dying to come hunting with me.  Better still, she'll be carrying a muzzleloader when the season starts.

Due to a very successful Western hunting trip my wife went and bought a second chest freezer.  It only had about 6" of room on top and now I think it'll be full too.  

David, if you don't mind posting the picture I'll owe you some venison.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
I'll gladly take pronghorn, or elk meat in trade!  

:)

WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
First nice buck Curtis I've seen this year. Great job taking your daughter along-memories for a lifetime. I used to bring my girls along also and my older daughter now has two sons who will be intoduced to the woods-read grocery store.

Offline Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Nice Buck Curtis.  Thanks for the story.  We had our Cool Springs Hunt in Madison.  Travis got it done with a nice big'ol doe.  I had the worst head /chest cold.  Coughing does not help at deer thirty.  I could not get out in the mornings to hunt.  Did see a bald eagle over Travis's gut pile.  Jeff
PBS Regular

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©