INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2013 Virginia Hunting Stories  (Read 2609 times)

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Virginia Hunting Stories
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
Nice kills fellas! Unfortunately I shot a buck on the 16th at 15 yards but the property we hunt on borderlines the Rapidan River and the stand I hunted in was literally less than 100 yards from the river. I shot the buck right at dark (silhouetted him) and unfortunately hit him in the shoulder and he jumped in the swelled river    :knothead:    :banghead:

I had an opportunity last night to shoot a doe at 25 yards hunting from a ground blind in the field but it was way too dark and I didn't feel like wounding another animal. I am still waiting on that good shot. Unfortunately the acorns didn't drop this year and the farmers planted soybeans so the deer are in the fields...

I am going to be persistent with the longbow even when everybody in my family is going BP. Hopefully I'll be able to get my first Trad kill soon! I'll keep you guys posted
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Congrats guys on the nice trophies.I on the other hand have torn the meniscus in my knee and no treestand hunting for me this year.In to talk to Surgeon next week,but my good ole buddies from Cool Springs are gonna put me in a blind that they have to drive me to on the hunt trip this week so I can get another swing at bowhunting,God Bless them....Never know I could have some luck after all.

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Get well soon Danny, my knee are giving me fits and the family say next year after season may be the time to get the left one replaced. Big decision for sure. Good luck to all you eastsiders.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
A big congrates to Jake and Zach.     :thumbsup:  

The Cool Springs Gang had our Madison hunt.  With no acorns we had a odd hunting experiance.  We mostly hunted field edges.  Again T. Lillard got the job done with a big O'l Nanny (95 lbs. dressed).  A silver flame through the carberator.  Cool Springer and I had close encounters, but no meat.  The pre rut was just starting.  A few rubs and a couple of light scrapes.

A side note:  I was playing corn hole and had 5 deer come in to the smell of corn starch.  I'm afraid we are going to have a starvation winter for the deer.  I don't know what the squirrels are going to eat.       :(  

Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I was working today, and Jen was out hunting.   When I came back to the office, I received the following cell phone text:

"Just took a shot on a turkey.  Still shaking.  Me, not the turkey!  Watched her come in and at about 16 yards, I let the arrow loose. I think we are having ham for Thanksgiving   :(   "
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Jen.....   :banghead:  

Keep at it, it will come!

You made me laugh with the Thanksgiving line!   :biglaugh:

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
I have had a pretty decent season so far.  Hung up my longbows and have been toting some of my Bear takedowns. I have managed to shoot several does in Va.

I also went up to New Jersey and hunted with my old college room mate for a week at the end of October. Managed to get an arrow into a couple of those soy bean eating swamp deer up there.

And the biggie for me was when my daughter managed to get her first deer.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 05:25:00 AM »
[/url] [/IMG]

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
Nice Randy!

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I decided to change the starting line up a little.  I have been carrying a "A" riser and 2018 aluminums all season but decided to take out a "B" riser with 55 pound limbs and Douglas Fir arrows.
 [/url] [/IMG]

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Good job Randy and especially appreciate your daughter's smile-you are doing it right if she wants to go out with her Dad. Congrats on a good season.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Randy,

Your daughter has gotta give you smiling lessons for  your photo takin.

;D
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
Awesome work Randy!!!!!!!!!
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I lucked up the other day and used my last buck tag. I got the opportunity at about eight yards on a buck we had been seeing for the past three years. The Bear takedowns have served me well this year!

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Very nice Randy.  Looks like you have had a great year.  Congrates... Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Machias

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Nice, congrats.  Haven't even seen a deer while hunting this year.  Can't wait to move out of NOVA.
Fred Moyer

History does not entrust the care of Freedom to the Weak or the Timid.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Nice Randy! A mature buck in the late season!!   :clapper:

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Dude.....Great job!!!!!!!!!I      I still haven't even gotten a deer with anything much less my bow.I am getting much better but not seeing any deer to shoot...This really makes me wanna bow hunt again terribly.....Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Danny

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
Dude.....Great job!!!!!!!!!I      I still haven't even gotten a deer with anything much less my bow.I am getting much better but not seeing any deer to shoot...This really makes me wanna bow hunt again terribly.....Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Danny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
BRAVO!!!!
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©