INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Moving to Ft Belvoir  (Read 459 times)

Offline Machias

• Trad Bowhunter
Moving to Ft Belvoir
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Howdee soon to be neighbors!  I am moving from the Spokane, WA area to the Fort Belvoir area.  Should be out there first part of Jul.  I understand I'll have to buy a non-resident tag this year, no biggie.  I normally buy a non-resident Idaho tag anyways.  I'm running a bear bait over there now until I head back east.  Looking forward to hunting the hardwoods again.  Love hunting whitetails out of treestands and ground blinds!!  So I have a quick question.  When I lived in Missouri I belonged to a hunting club that leased a bunch of land, it was on the reservation type system, you call a head of time and reserve a piece of property.  I'm seeing some of these type of clubs in VA.  Any thoughts on if they are necessary?  Can I find some good bowhunting spots before this fall or do you think it's a good idea to join one of these clubs?  One thing different than the club in MO is the amount of property and the number of members I'm seeing in VA compared to MO.  I'll probably look for a place around Fredericksburg, but I really have no idea at this point where I'll be living.  Should be headed out there for a house hunting trip in the next few weeks.  Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Fred
Fred Moyer

History does not entrust the care of Freedom to the Weak or the Timid.

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving to Ft Belvoir
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Are you military? Belvoir Bowhunters is a very active club, and there is hunting on base there as well as Quantico. I have hunted Virginia since 1985 or so, and do not belong to a lease. I hunt public land. I am a member of Virginia Bowhunters Assn., and maybe you can get more info at their website.

And welcome!   :wavey:    
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Machias

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I am retired Air Force, but now I work as a government civilian.  I'll be joining the VBA as well.
Fred Moyer

Offline Stinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Fred,

Welcome to the area!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  As retired military, you can hunt both Ft Belvoir and Quantico Marine Base very easily.  Lots of land and lots of deer.  For Belvoir, you will have to take a 1 day classroom course that is fairly easy and a qualification shoot that isn't bad.  For traditional guys you have to put 2 out of 3 broadhead tipped arrows in a 9 inch circle from 20 yards.

Additionally, there are plenty of urban hunting opportunities as the deer are plentiful in the woodlots that surround most of the suburban neighborhoods here.

Offline Machias

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Thanks Stinger, I appreciate the information.  I'll be arriving around the 26 or 27th of Jul.
Fred Moyer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©