INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: sunday hunting  (Read 428 times)

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
sunday hunting
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
well its getting closer to being passed...whats your thoughts? it will allow us to hunt on private property only but i think its a big step forward!
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sunday hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
I'm for it, you can do everything else on Sunday, makes no sense not to be able to hunt.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I think it's already a done deal.  But, my choice?  No.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I have mixed feelings. I like having a day that I am forced to do something else, but then again some Sundays things are just perfect and I wish I could hunt. If I had to vote I don't know which way I would go.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I'm pretty happy about it.  Most of the season, Sunday is the only day I have any time to myself.  Of course, I think my wife has been lobbying the legislature pretty hard against it, as it's the only day I make much progress on the honey-do list...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »
I can understand the reasoning behind it from the hunters stand point, many of todays hunters are hard at work M-S & sometimes miss hunting because of work so a Sunday could be their only option.

I also understand the states reasoning especially in todays economy, the possibility of extra revenue from hunters for hunting an extra day is tempting.

As for me, even though I missed a lot of hunting days because of work or other engagements I still think that Sunday is sacred & I will personally not hunt that day.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
To me, every day is sacred, and I am closest to God while in the woods. Blue laws are an imposition of one religion over everybody, and it is just not fair.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Well put Kathy...

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
Well looks like this has been slid to the side table for a while but it was close to being a victory to those who want this to pass.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
yep..they put her to bed...again! i heard a guy say the deer need a day to rest, i say they get 9 months at a time!
 maybe next year...again!  :deadhorse:
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Sunday morning in the woods is really special.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline VaJD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I hunt on my own land on Sundays some, if I ever get charged I'm sure to get plenty of help to fight the law in court.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I'm usually hunting for the deer I shot Sat evening.

:biglaugh:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
I was really hoping to see this pass. I think Kathy was right on with the imposition of religious belief.
Even though there's no direct citation of christianity in the basis for keeping the law, I think we all know where it stems from.
Not to make this about religion, but being Jewish, I don't find it particularly fair to ban hunting on Sunday (nor would I find it reasonable to ban it Saturday).

Regarding the day of rest, since deer have no religious affiliation I think we could all compromise on giving the deer Wednesday off instead of Sunday. That is if we must give them a day.

Lastly, lets remember that allowing hunting on sunday doesn't require hunting on sunday. We all still have the free will to make our own decisions. To me this is really about the state controlling our lives. Do we really need our hands held by the state legislature?

It reminds me of the laws on using tracking dogs ... you can track a wounded deer with a dog on a leash but only if the dog is trained? So now I need to go have an animal, which has evolved over a million years to use scent to track prey, cerified to find a dead deer? It's ridiculous.

Moving here to VA from NY I was happy to see less legislation on what I choose to do. Unfortunately this is one case where NY has us beat ... you can hunt there anyday.

Sorry if that became a rant.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I'm in favor of it. What if a person works 6 days a week and would like to hunt? I don't but, as someone said above, they should have the right. Will I hunt every Sun? Likely not, but it would be nice to have the choice to.

Kyle

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
i'm a big fan of freedom.   :)
"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm against it for me but I'm not against it for you. Like has already been said I can chose not to hunt on Sunday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©