INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2011 Va deer pics  (Read 1335 times)

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2011 Va deer pics
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Congrats Mike.....  :thumbsup:
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Congrats Mike!!  I'm just a little over an hour from you, on the other side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some beautiful country over there where you are for sure!

Allen

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Saturday evening hunt. Oct. 8 2011.  One for the freezer.  I like a challenge.  The small ones are harder to hit...   :saywhat:  

Morrison ILF riser - Tradtech carbonwood recurve limbs.  My "Mor-Tech" (1st trip to the woods) 52@29.5 - 58".  Goldtip 35-55 Traditionals,  woodsman tipped,  485 gr. arrow.
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline mike70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
congrats. Nice deer!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Way to go both Nook and Mike. Mike, sometime if you want to shoot at Bowhunters of Rockingham with an old geezer let me know-always like to meet up with other stick shooters. Good shooting everyone-time wil tell for me.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
Good shooting Jeff and Mike   :clapper:

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Way to go NOOK! I was starting to get a little worried there for a moment!
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Don't worry David.  I just needed a few practice swings to get the ball rolling....  :biglaugh:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
Shot a doe yesterday but hit it back (liver) so decided to back out and give it time. When I came back I picked up the trail only to find a bear had done the same and found her before me. Kind of a hair raiser as it was in thick laurel and the bear had eaten one ham and partial on the other. Backed out slowly and got out of Dodge. Punched a tag and nothing to show for it. We have had 6 bear sightings on the property so far since season opened. Looks like a bear is going to be on the agenda this fall.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Tom, bummer about your deer.....I just happen to have a bear tag as well.....   :readit:

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Tom,  
If you get the bear, it should weigh a bit more than before you shot the doe.  Sounds like you have a good bait set-up now   ;)  

There's always a silver lining!
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
I only wish I had been out but alas I've been sceduled to be sitting here hunting Chevys but in another week I'll have my Saturday to hunt.

Congrats to all of you, some nice trophys & table fare.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Don't know why the bears are infested on the property this year but definitely will try thinning one this year if given the chance. Sitting over a bait site (read guts/rotting meat) doesn't do it for me Bill, although if he happens by my stand will let the air out of him for sure. Allen-you know the property I'm talking about and membership covers hunting rights.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Hey Tom.  Just put out a "Pick-a-nick Basket" on your wifes favorite red checked table cloth.  Doesn't have to have food in it.  I've heard Yogi can't resit.....  I'm giving all my secrets away.
   Good luck Bud.  Dan and I were tracking one last year that I had let lay over night.  The last large pool of blood had a coyote turd in the middle of it.  There wasn't much left of the deer.  I feel your pain brother.

Jeff
PBS Regular

Offline mike70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Tom, Sorry to hear about a bear finding your deer.That would be a bummer!   :(

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
It was a question of leaving the deer to lay down or maybe pushing it and I let it go-obviously too long but would do the same thing again given the same circumstances. Now if that bear or any bear happens to stroll-game on. Thanks for the understanding but there will be more deer to come.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Heading out for some hunting tomorrow finally after working grave shift for the last two nighs All day Monday and tuesday morn  as well. Hopefully will have something to share with you guys. Got a lttle packable canera to put in the pack,Weather looks like it will be good days to be out. Talk to you soon.

Offline hnryclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
First post, first Trad kill, doe taken with Ben Pearson Cougar 45lbs at 28" wooden arrow with 145 grain 2 blade Stos head.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Congrats on your deer...  Glad to have you aboard...  Have a great season...  Jeff  :clapper:
PBS Regular

Online Stinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I was getting jealous of all you guys down south having all the luck and determined to make a go of it up here in the northern part of the state.  I had not been seeing as many deer as in years past, but knew it was just a matter of time.  I took this fat doe last Friday evening just at last shooting light.  The old long nose came walking in rather quickly and I didn't see her until she was within 20 yards.  Fortunately I was standing up and ready as she came to a stop in perfect position, slightly quartering away at 15 yards.  I picked a spot and let fly.  She ran 30 yards and I heard her go down.  This was my first deer with a longbow (I have taken others with a recurve) and I couldn't be happier with my Leon Stewart Slammer.  The Stinger 2 blade left a nice hole and went through the offside shoulder.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©