INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: VA harvests thread  (Read 1610 times)

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
VA harvests thread
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Lets post our kills for the year. I havnt shoten anything yet but Im talkin squirrel, deer, turkey...anything.
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA harvests thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Good idea.

Spell check, and the proper use of the English language... both are good to know!
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Dave....missed seeeing you at Dixie Sat.Good luck this season........
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Danny,

Saturdy was a working day; however, I did attend Sunday.  The weather was great, and the company exceptional!

Ft. Lee is having a 50 target shoot, and ... I think... and additional 20 targets from treestand height.  

At this point, I intend to go.  How about you, and Nook?
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Bartholomew:
Good idea.

Spell check, and the proper use of the English language... both are good to know!
Wow, Dave! Your a real sweetheart.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Jeff,

It wasn’t meant to be an attack, but a suggestion.  Like yourself (I can only assume), I don’t know everyone on this site (personally), but I do see their written word.  Don’t you want to take the time, and make a positive impression?

I think we can agree that EVERYONE (with very few exceptions) can use a bit of help with spelling, and with the proper use of the English language.

Yup, SPELL CHECK only takes a tiny bit of effort, but it will not catch grammatical errors that look like proper spelling (such as the word “your”… where it should be “You are…”, or “You’re…”).

Regards!
David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Werd.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I didn't even think about spelling while I was writing that. I'm sixteen and have text spelling engraved in my brain.  :help:
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Dave..Nook is off with Jimmy M in Kentucky trying them Kentucky whitetails this week.I didn't know about the Ft Lee.Is it tomorrow and it is at the same place right?I might try and round up A.S.,but depends on if I can get out.I did want to scout a new placs tomorrow.If I don't see ya good luck and hope we all can post some pics this season....Later

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Danny,

Yes, it is tomorrow.  As for me, I now have two sessions scheduled for tomorrow (and business has first priority).  So, I think that shoots my chances of shooting 3D (Ft. Lee is about 78 miles - one way - for me).  

I wish you and all others... a safe, productive hunting season.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Posted this on the Highlights:

Finally October arrived.  Now my turn to spend time in the Virginia woods...

About 8:00 a 1.5 year old forky comes into my hunting spot.  Harrasses a sapling and sucks up some acorns.  I'm not realy interested, but if he presents a shot I like to put meat in the freezer.  At 25 yards he decideds to take another route.  I thank the Lord for seeing a deer.  I look over my right shoulder and into a cow pasture and see five more whitetails heading away.  I use the can call.  They take flight,  Note to self... trust your stand placement and keep quiet the first of the year.  Fifteen minutes later two herd does, two yearling does and two fawns come into my shooting area.  Their busy vacuuming up the white oak acorns that litter the ground below me.  A big doe presents a shot at ten yards.  From my Lone Wolf climber nestled between a triple poplar I draw back and let the arrow loose......  Here's the result:

55@29", 64" Schafer longbow. 500 gr. 55-75 Goldtip arrow tipped with a Snufer.  Double lung heart shot.  One of the nicest I've made.  She went ~70 yards.  It's 8:20am.  Time to have a snack and some water.  Beautiful morning...

:campfire:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Way to start the season Jeff!! Now where is Mr. Cool Springer??

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Remove the leaf!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL   Grats again

A.S....Maybe we need to find Coolspringers camera and get the pics...

I am still on the hunt..Gonna try it on the ground tomorrow in a wet suit..LOL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Jeff,

BRAVO!  EXCELLENT!  KUDOS!!! (... and all those other good words & thoughts.)

As for me, I was able to take a shot Saturday morning, but the lady moved faster than my arrow could fly.  A quick check of the arrow shows that she does have a scratch on her back.  

Dag-nab-bit!  I think I'm gonna aim about 2 inches below the chest from now on.  Sighhhhhhhhhhhh

David

P.S.  Nice photo.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline paleFace

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
awesome Jeff!  way to start the season brother.  Like Danny said, get rid of the leaf.  I didn't get out yesterday, had to work. What's the deal with planning a wedding on opening day of bow season?  I was dumb enough to take the job.   :knothead:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
OK guys, I got motivated to figure out the picture posting process after early success yesterday.
My buddy Brendan and I had a great day.  I shot this 10 point at 7:40 a.m.  He was working his way through the oaks and luckily came my way.  I thought he was going to pass by at about 10 yards, but the breeze gave him an idea I was in the area.  I eventually got a shot at him at about 22 yards.  I think he moved as the arrow was in route and I caught him a little far back.
I decided to wait a few hours before trailing him.  As it turned out, there was a great blood trail and I found him within about 80 yards.  He probably died in less than 10 seconds!
He's a solid 9 point with matching kickers off base of each antler.  One is an inch long and the other is about 3/4 inch, so I guess we'll call him a legal 10 point.  Not a monster, but he'll make a pretty European mount.

Brendan has been hunting with me for three seasons previously.  He had not taken a deer until last Saturday when he took a 3 point with a rifle during the VA youth hunt.  Yesterday he took two antlerless deer with his compound!  Needless to say, we did a lot of meat processing yesterday.
Some of you have met him at Dixie and at ATAR.  He's a heck of a shot with his Big Jim's Buffalo bow, but he said he didn't feel confident enough to hunt with it just yet.  He's paid his dues over the last few seasons and now his time in the field is paying off big time.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
Way to go Bill!!   Now if I had taken those pics, he would have been a solid P&Yer!!   :biglaugh:

Looks like me and 2Hats have some catching up to do.

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Congrats everyone, loks like nice deer.Opening had me in my stand about an hour too early??? Dont know how that happened only seen two turkeys at 100 yards and finaally left at 11:00am

Dewayne Martin
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Congrats guys.  Two dogs on National Forest land ruined my morning.  They RAN 4 deer past me but no shots were made (at deer or dog).  Evening was a no show.

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Way to go Bill And Brendan.  The Cool Springs Gang are having a busy October.  I'm sure Allen and Danny are not far behind. Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©