INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Good luck tomorrow  (Read 335 times)

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck tomorrow
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
I want to extend out a Golden Horseshoe to all my Virginia brothers.It is up to you where you put it..LOL..Just kidding,,Everyone,I wish you the best of luck and be safe and post some pics....
..God Speed!!!!  :biglaugh:
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Right back at you Danny, I cant believe its finally here.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I hope I am ready.I had knee surgery 4 weeks ago,and my doc told me yesterday I was ready to go,just be aware what had done to the knee and good luck in the woods..That's a go ahead to me!!
Have fun Peachey and post another bigun'..later
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

Offline Bullet_Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
I hope to get one tomorrow.I have never killed a deer. So I hope tomorrow will be the first and a Trad one at that.......
"Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Good Bob....I know you will.There will be pics before you know it.It's only the beginning....  :thumbsup:

Offline tackhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Good luck to all. and the big ones comming down my side this year Peachey   :D
What you do speaks so loudly that I can't hear what you say! >>----->

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Good luck, guys....hope to get out in the evening; got soccer games and field hockey games all morning....don't those darn rec departments know it's bow season?

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Best of luck to everybody!!

Danny...give me a ring if you need help draggin' in the morning. I'll call Bill.  :bigsmyl:  

Looks like I'll be able to climb a tree tomorrow afternoon. I'm holding my GOOD spot until Tues morning.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Appointments tomorrow starting at noon, so I only have the morning (if you can call it that).  Instead of using a tree stand, I intend to walk and wait a bit...see what shows up.  Last year, I remember Allen talking about the doe he harvested on the ground.  Hopefully, I can come across the same situation (different doe of course).

Be safe folks!

GOD Bless,
David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
Good luck to all and keep it safe,can smell backstraps sizzling on the grill now. Lets see what reality brings.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
I hear the grill is already sizzlin' a 2 Hats house!  :clapper:

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
OK Danny-lets hear the story. Mine is short-nada-no sightings and no errors. Bloody warm on my side of the hills. BUT it was great to be out again.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Someone else is cooking?  Great!  I'll bring the chips.  

I did go out in the morning and I'll second Tom's comments about the weather, and being out again.  It was my first time hunting from the ground and I loved it! But, no meat.   :(  

Yup, the lil tree rats still sound like young deer walking (when they're behind you and you dare not to turn around), and yes... after awhile - your eyes/mind play tricks on you (tree/leaf outlines start to look like feeding does)... and lastly, mosquitos still wanna stay close to me.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
I woke up saturday at 4:00 am and headed out to the national forest for my morning hunt. Saw a decent 8 pointer in a nearby alfalfa field on the way. Skies were clear but the valley was covered in fog (temps in upper 40's). Hiked about 1/2 a mile along a ridge and set up in some oaks. Acorns were falling all morning. I was above the fog most of the time with the wind blowing some fog over the ridge around 7:30. I heard a jake gobbler gobbling somewhere down below me all morning. At 9:30 I got down and was looking over my map when a small bear went by me at 75 yards. His walk was too fast for me to catch up with him, but I don't think he was the legal 100# limit anyway. Saw some other nice areas walking back out. Did work around my house until 3pm and then went up to my stand for the evening. It's on a foothill, near the top, about a 100 yards from a saddle. The area was thick with blackberries and made getting in difficult. I had only seen one squirrel by 5:45 when a noise in the patch of blackberries to my right made me look. I saw the tail of a deer moving right to left about 23 yards away. I stood up. An 8 pointer walked out and I stopped him broadside 10 yards in front of me, slightly to my right. The shot was a little forward, about 2 or 3" forward of the shoulder crease and about midships up and down. (I'm rushing my shots when I didn't need to) It looked like I only got 8-10" of penetration. He turned downhill and stumbled through another patch of briars, angled back the way he came for a few yards and then turned back downhill. I saw him heading downhill over top of the briars about 80 yards away. After he was out of sight I couldn't hear anything else and I didn't hear him crash. Since the shot was more forward (but slightly angling back) then I wanted I decided to sit tight for an hour. I didn't want to bump him before he expired. I started tracking him but had no blood where he had been standing. I followed his tracks into the thicket and at 30 yards found three drops of dark muscle blood where the arrow probably hit a sapling. I marked it with a piece of toilet paper. When I got to the edge of the thicket I used my binos to scan ahead without exposing myself. I didn't see anything and continued looking for blood. I couldn't find any and there was several tracks that looked like they could have been his. I tried a few different paths downhill, since I had seen him run that way, but couldn't find any new blood. While looking down one path I spotted a buck of similar size walking about 150 yards away. I took off my shoes and pack and started to sneak closer, this area is open woods and I tried to keep a tree between me and the buck. When I had cut the distance in half I could tell this was not my buck. He was a 7 pointer with crab claw on his left beam but no G3 on his right, about 14" inside. He was heading towards my father's stand in a slow manner so I let him go. By this time it was getting dark and I decided to look in the morning. I marked the edge of the thicket with a glow tack and a strip of toilet paper and headed home. I reviewed a skeletal anatomy picture of a deer and determined that I would not have hit anything but rib bone on the near side of the buck and maybe hit shoulder bone on the offside. After talking on the phone with a buddy I decided to go back out and look for him that night before coyote or bears could get him. I have about 7" of reflective wrap on my arrows and a 350 and 150 lumen spotlights. I went back up around 9 and looked around. I saw a buck in some thickets and he stood there in the light as I approached but walked off when I was about 50 yards away. I think it was the 7 pointer but I went to the spot he was standing and inspected the area for blood. Nothing. After about an hour of searching thickets I decided to head downhill to a field that has some water. I bumped 4 turkey off their roosts. I was talking on the phone with my Dad, who was back at my house, when a round rock under my left foot rolled out from under me. My ankle twisted out and I felt a pop. My phone and light went flying as I fell to my side trying to get off my ankle. I felt my ankle with my fingers and I didn't feel any sharp pain so I didn't think it was broken. But I could feel it starting to swell and I couldn't put my weight on it. My phone had rebooted and was a few yards from me. I crawled back to the phone and light as my father was calling me back. I told him where I was and started crawling towards my 4-wheeler. I crawled through several patches of briars and 3 barb-wire fences. When my Dad got to me I was through the worst of it and he helped me to the 4-wheeler and drove me back down to the house. I finally went to the ER about 11:30 and by 2:30am I was on my way home with a brace and crutches. It wasn't broken but hopefully only a bad sprain. The next morning my Dad, and another man went back up to look down low near the field. I went back up on crutches and looked for blood at the thicket and also to try and determine the last spot I saw him. After more searching, some on my hands and knees, we gave up and went down to the house. I had a family picnic to attend at 1pm. I talked to a cousin there about it and he brought his springer spaniel up later that evening. It isn't a trained dog but he had used it once to track a deer he had shot. Unfortunately I didn't know he was up there and he didn't know where the blood was but he did find my toilet paper streamer which was about 10 yards from the blood spot but the dog didn't pick up anything. All that to say I haven't recovered the buck. It kept me up two nights thinking about it. I know the hit should have been good enough to do the job but just can't find it. Having a swollen ankle prevents me from doing a thorough grid search. My only hope is to stumble across him later in the season and at least recover the rack. I am encouraged at the number of 2.5 year old bucks we are seeing on the property though. I'm probably out of it for two weeks until my ankle recovers.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I'm glad you didn't break anything.  Sorry about the buck.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Heal up soon.The woods are calling ya.Seriously,take it easy so you can enjoy more later in the season.I kinda rushed myself and feel the knee pain alittle more than i should,but i am back to work where I can rest up for the weekend.Sorry 'bout the buck as well..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©