INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: "Rough Mountain Rendezvous III"  (Read 879 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Rough Mountain Rendezvous III"
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Anyone else heard word from this bunch?  Any game sighted?  Killie have fun.  Do you get to do your full stint this year?  Look forward to pictures and stories.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Pig man and I were there and were home yesterday. Dave got there on Monday and I got there Tuesday. We hadn't seen anything, zilch, nada. Not a deer, not a bear, not a squirrel. The gnats were HORRIBLE!!! The only one there when we got there was Ed Fry. Kyle got there Tuesday night. Sorry I missed Rob and Adam but had to get back home.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Sorry to here that Rob.  Hope you had a good time anyway.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Pig man (Dave) had a really good evening on Monday but a really, REALLY bad Tuesday morning. It was Ed's fault for bringing the Johnny Walker instead of Bob Walker.  
 :biglaugh:  

As always I had a good time while I was there, just had to leave early this time.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline buckhuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Ed Frye took me up to his ridge Wednesday morning and we sat till noon.  About 10:30 or so a nice bobcat came slinking down the top of the ridge.  It stopped not 15 yards from me broadside and sniffed the ground where Ed and I had walked in.  It stood there for a good 30 seconds sniffing the ground oblivious that I was there.  It was perfect and I was in a great position to shoot... except I had no idea whether or not it was in season.  I remembered fox were in season around the first of November so I figured bobcat were the same and let it walk.  

I was kicking myself once we got back to camp and Ed pulled out the regs and confirmed they had been in season since OCT 4!  Dang it!    :banghead:   It was pretty neat to be up there with Ed.  He was setup just down the ridge from me and could see the bobcat come in range. Ed said that was the first time in 21 years he has seen a bobcat up there and I felt lucky to have seen it so close.  We saw lots of squirrels but no deer.  It was a great hunt.  

I had to leave that afternoon so I missed Rob.  I think I passed him on my way out.  Good luck guys.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Just got back in myself. I saw several deer in different places and caught sight of a Bear down by the creek. Rob had a good morning with his son up on the ridge. He saw the biggest buck that he had seen on the mountain, plus coyotes and turkeys.

Great time was had as always. The views are spectacular, this one of my favorite places to hunt in VA.

A special thanks to Ed for all the cooking!

Adam

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
I gave it up yesterday also Adam.  The clouds were really rolling in and I had to leave this AM anyway, so I broke camp while it was still mostly dry.

Had a great time around the campfire and saw a few deer but no shots taken.  It was nice to see some of the youngsters in camp and to meet some new guys.  The weather was way too warm for me and I'm sure that held the deer movement down while increasing the gnat movement.

I agree Adam, the views were great and the food was outstanding thanks to Ed Frye. One of these days I will figure out how to kill one there without going all the way to the top of those ridges.

Cyle, you have a PM.

-Mac
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Here are some pics...some from "those ridges"

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Good photos Adam!~
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Thanks,

Rob should have better he is a pro!

Adam

Offline Ed Frye

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Oops. Let me try again. It has been to long since I have logged on. I hope everyone is doing well. It was good to see and meet the new Tradgang people. It was a good week with everyone and I'm glad everyone had a good time. I will admit Jonny was a little mean to Pigman and myself but we survived. My son Sean and I stayed until today, Sunday. We did some stump shooting and squirrel hunting, no luck. We did not see any deer from the stand but saw several does and one spike from the road. He really enjoyed meeting Mac again and meeting Adam and Patrick. He can hardly wait for next year.
Thanks and keep promoting the great sport of bow hunting to our youth and friends.
Ed P. Frye II
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Finally getting around to my computer since getting back on Sunday. I really had a good time meeting all of you and the fine cooking Ed. For my first hunting trip I was not at all disappointed despite the nats and Rain I brought. Rob an Ed are great hosts and learned a bit about hunting the big forests. Both of their boys are good camp mates and respectful too and  not to mention entertaining little fellows. Mac is a fun fellow too and sure knows how to set a camp for himself complete with reading chair and door mat as well as the biggest portable bed I have ever seen. I was expecting to see some fruit in a bowl on his reading table next to the lamp. I mean the man really knows how to be comfy in the woods! Adam was a great talker and like to hear him tell stories with his England accent at the campfire. I was always picturing him in my mind as an English knight with his war bow out for a hunt of the kings deer. Thanks again Rob for putting this hunt out their for us Va guys and look forward to see some of you again in the future.

On a side note My son told me he missed me by screaming "Daddy I'm done" from the hallway bathroom not 2 mins after I got home. Oh joy!    :biglaugh:  
Deer camp poop talk for those that were not there the last night in the pouring rain while sampling some home made spirits and beer!
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the terrific pictures, Adam! (I remember, I stood on that flat once and enjoyed that view...) I wish I could have made it, if only for the poop talk (I worked horses for ten years) and homemade spirits!

I was in my own camp, though, and had my own rain and snow and poop to play with. I am curious about Mac's bed... in a purely scientific manner, of course. He sounds as serious about a comfortable camp as I am.

My rugged exterior..

Oh, how I suffer.

So, the animals won, AND everybody had a good time? We are a special kinda group, eh?
Killdeer   :bigsmyl:  

Rob... pics?   :confused:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Way more comfy than my place... I think that Mac had an end table

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©