INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: elk hunt in wise county va.???  (Read 188 times)

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
elk hunt in wise county va.???
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
saw on the dgif site that more elk have been taken in wise county va. than any other va. county. they are straggling over from kentucky and im thinking about trying a "poor boy elk hunt"this coming season.
i realize getting a big one most likely want happen but i want be spending alot of money either...just a adventure me and a hunting buddy thought up,any one ever actually hunt in wise co.? alot of access to national forest?
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline spears mt bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk hunt in wise county va.???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
check out the va section of bowsite.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
This is still on my "check-into" list.  The numbers are low though and I'm sure the locals are gunning for those elk as well so your odds have to be pretty slim.  It's a neat idea though.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Just an update on this issue; the DGIF is considering stocking elk now, just in Buchanan county I believe, to try and cash in on the NR license boom Kentucky seems to be enjoying.  This will lead to a draw system for elk in Virginia and put an end to the use of deer tag for elk.  This will require a moratorium on killing elk for about 12 years.  It will also increase the opportunity of getting an elk if you happen to be drawn.  Here's a copy of the article from Roanoke.com

FARM BUREAU CONSIDERS NEXT MOVE IN ELK DEBATE

Remember how indignant many Virginia wildlife officials became when Kentucky officials emptied truckloads of elk near the Virginia boarder?

That prompted the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to essentially put elk on a wanted poster by imposing a regulation that said you could kill one anytime a deer season is open, which is early October through early January.

Wilmer Stoneman remembers.

“It is very interesting that the DGIF board is essentially doing to Wise, Dickenson and the surrounding counties what Kentucky did to Virginia: dump elk in their backyard,” said Stoneman, who is associate director for governmental relations of the Virginia Farm Bureau Federation.

Last week, the DGIF board approved what it called a pilot program of stocking 75 elk in Buchanan County to establish a herd of 400 animals. Officials in nearby Wise and Dickenson counties said they didn’t want elk, out of fear that damage to agriculture practices would be the result. The Farm Bureau has been a major foe.

“There is absolutely no way anyone can consider this a ‘pilot’ project,” said Stoneman. “Pilot projects generally mean you can continue them or stop them with minimal effect.” The impact of stocking elk is immediate and forever, he said.

The DGIF also proposed a moratorium on hunting elk statewide during the restoration effort. That would leave landowners near the border of Kentucky and Buchanan County open to damage, Stoneman said. The proposal is set for a final vote Oct. 5.

When asked if the bureau would oppose the moratorium, Stoneman said: “We’re evaluating our next move on the issue.”

At the October meeting, there will be three new members on the 11-member DGIF board who have not voted on the issue.

“What is truly sad is that the board completely ignored the recommendation of their staff, the individuals that know the most about managing wildlife,” Stoneman said.

The restoration was sold largely on its benefit to tourism through hunting and wildlife watching, and the success Kentucky has had in establishing an elk herd of 10,000 animals. Stoneman said the economic impact from a herd of 400 elk “is pennies” compared to Kentucky’s 10,000 animals.

There already is informal talk about heading off the elk restoration program in the General Assembly, which would be unfortunate. Politics and wildlife management are a bad mix.
A public comment period on the proposed regulation amendment is open from August 20 - September 20, 2010. If adopted, the proposed regulation would go into effect on October 5, 2010.  
More information can be found   here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©