INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Self bow workshop - Should have been there!  (Read 366 times)

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Self bow workshop - Should have been there!
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Hello all,

Just wanted to see who from Trad Gang will be attending this workshop.  I am planning to be there and learn a little from Alton and Darrell.  What say you - join me April 5-8?

http://holidaylake4h.com/bow.php
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self bow workshop - Should have been there!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Wishin I had the extra cash!  Alton and Daryl are full of knowledge. It should be a very interesting workshop.  Hmmmmm Decisions Decisions... LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Would require time off and $$ so I'm out.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I hear you guys.  The time off is an obstacle and the cash is not a small amount.  I've gone back and forth on this several times but finally decided that I would regret missing it.  I've tinkered with the self bow idea some but have not committed myself to really trying it on my own.  So I am raiding the "Hunting Trip" savings account built from side jobs to get myself going.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Update!

I just received word that this workshop has been postponed until April.  The new dates are April 5-8.  All other details are the same and the web site should be updated soon.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
That's Spring Gobbler Season!    :banghead:

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
I know Big Ron, and I am trying not to think about it.  However, I also know that there are a lot of birds around Holiday Lake and if I'm spending for the workshop I might also get a State Forest permit.  Wouldn't Alton be tickled if I showed up for class with a bird on an arrow?  Heck, he'd probably go hunting with me before breakfast.

Offline Bullet_Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I would love to go but the cost is beyond me.
"Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I'm scheduled to work that weekend and we have already turned in our leave for this year.

That kind of stinks because building a self bow is pretty high on my to do list.   :(  

Oh well, maybe next time.

Offline eaglefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
might try the baltimore shoot,I did osagew/bill kaczor 300.00 includes stave.last year.

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Ill be there! We will be hunting Buckingham for birds anyway!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigRonHuntAlot:
That's Spring Gobbler Season!     :banghead:  
Not last time I checked:

Seasons: Statewide
April 11-May 2, 2009:
One-half hour before sunrise until 12 noon each day.
May 4-May 16, 2009:
One-half hour before sunrise to sunset.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Chuck,  Thanks for the update, I still couldnt make it due to work schedule.

Hope you guys that go have a great time.  Tell Alton and Darryl I said hello.  Maybe Darryl can fix ya'll some short legged beef stew if ya ask him nicely... LOL   :wavey:

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
And a good time was had by all!   :thumbsup:  

I was relieved to see that I wouldn't be missing any gobbler action but I didn't get back here to post the opener dates, thanks for doing that Talondale.  We didn't hear any birds in the vicinity of camp anyway.

But we did make some bows.  There were four students for Alton to mentor for three days.  Darrell came over for an afternoon of help and an evening presentation on arrows, flint, bows, etc...good stuff.  One student was from DC and had never even held a bow of any type and, like me, had never shaved wood in an attempt to make one.  Another fellow was a big bowhunter but his experiences were all with cables and wheels.  The last student had made two attempts at a selfbow before and had firewood to show for it.

After three days of shaving wood (with breaks for 9 delicious, hot, all you could eat meals) we were all out on the range flinging arrows from our new osage creations.  All were in various stages of completion/finish but they were functional and well tillered, one even had slight recurves put in the limbs.  Everyone left with a smile on their face and an extra stave to make bow #2 back at home.

I certainly learned some things from Alton and his way of bow building.  I also learned a few things by having a draw knife in my hands for many focused hours.  Somehow I ended up with the biggest, ugliest osage split from the pile, and consequently the biggest, ugliest bow.  But it's not completely finished yet and it may come into its own before it's over.  Right now it is a thumping, vibrating stick of 70" length with an estimated 70 to 75 pounds at 28"  It sends arrows out flat and fast.  Its come a long way from the firewwod (or air plane propeller) that I thought it was destined to be.

They are planning another one for early next spring for all of you that missed it this year.

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
Cool!

Glad to hear you had a good time Duane. I can't wait to see what you came up with.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Nice.  I've got a pile of propellers that have drying in my basement.  They've been down there for two years and should be just right.  I bought a heat gun last week to take the twist out.  I've been working with some osage this week, making a long box turkey call for my dad and it has some nice qualities.  Shapes well, but takes some work, and scrapes easy, even with a pocket knife.  My arms are tired from sanding.  My belt sander broke and I'm waiting on parts.  The good news is I got my Dad's old jointer working and was able to reduce some wood for the paddles.  Got to find me a draw knife.  Maybe I'll bring a stave to STAR and have you show me what you learned. LOL

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Talondale, I'd be happy to show you what I did, not sure I am smart enough to show you what I learned.  I still have a lot to learn and need much more experience.  I'm hoping to get a chance to work on this first one a little more and hope it holds together through the STAR shoot.  Maybe I'll bring a shaving horse and we can scrape a few pieces of wood.

RVTB, I'll bring it to the meeting on the 27th

From this......

....to this....

....to this....

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Wow, that twist looks like my stuff.  The good thing is some of them have natural deflex (or is it reflex?) which should help with string follow.  

Here's the box call I was working on.  

Notice the pin knots in the handle?  I had one work loose on the bottom while sanding and it made me think of all the warnings about them I've read.  I can see why they'd be a problem when making a bow.  Doesn't seem your piece had any.  The piece I used was limb wood and was full of them.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
That's a great turkey call.  I've always wanted to try that too.  The knots in your osage and cedar compliment each other for a nice appearance.

My stave had a few branch knots, but just a few for such a big piece of wood.  The first one was large and it made me nervous but actually shaved away to not much.

But a second one appeared from below and is almost a hole in the limb belly.

It puts a big hinge in the tiller and the remaining reflex/twist actually makes for a straight limb after the knot.  This is the challenge I'm still planning to work on when I get a chance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©