INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: S.T.A.R. Shoot- 2009  (Read 1354 times)

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
S.T.A.R. Shoot- 2009
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
The Sherwood Traditional Archery Rendezvous, S.T.A.R. shoot, will be June 6 & 7 this year in Roanoke Va.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: S.T.A.R. Shoot- 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
Good to hear-will be there for sure!!
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
Yep the Cool Springs bunch is planning to make a complete weekend of it. You guys put on a very nice shoot last year!

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I plan on making it!  Calendar is now marked.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
yep I plan on being there with the gang
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I will be there, was at sherwood saturday and it was 0 degrees and we shot.Hopefully it will be a bit warmer.

Dewayne
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
As always!

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
This may be a silly question but is this a family friendly event? My little family won't let me go anywhere with out them..   :rolleyes:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Yes, It is family friendly.  The terrain may be a bit challenging for the little ones but it is a great group of folks!  Send Randy (R.V.T.B.) a PM with any particular questions.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks. Hope we can make it out to this event.
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline JT_IIIwitts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
check out the website and follow the link to the STAR page on the left for more info.
Jason Threewitts
Sherwood Archers
Charter Member RVTB
"Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and pay your own bills"

Offline JT_IIIwitts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Jason Threewitts
Sherwood Archers
Charter Member RVTB
"Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and pay your own bills"

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
S.T.A.R. SHOOT 2009

Sherwood Archers in Roanoke, Va. is hosting  the 3rd annual Sherwood Traditional Archery Rendezvous or S.T.A.R. shoot on June 6 & 7, 2009.  We will be running a full 28 target field shoot, a 14 target animal shoot, 30 target 3-D shoot , 10 target tough man shoot along with numerous side/novelty shoots.  We hope to have enough going on to keep you shooting arrows all day long.  This will be a traditional only shoot and the only real rules will be no crossbows, no compounds and no sights.  Other than that, come on out and have a great time with us and your traditional equipment.  We will be raffling off a custom  bow built  to the winner’s specifications and will have a take-down recurve bow to give away along with other items as a prizes. Everyone who turns in an entry card will have a equal chance at the bow give away. The shoot will run from 8:00 am-5:00 pm on Saturday and 8:00 am-2:00 pm on Sunday.

Fees

The cost of shooting the S.T.A.R. shoot will be $20.00 per day or $30.00 for the weekend, which includes everything but the tough man and side shoots. 12-18 years olds will be $10.00 per day or $15.00 for the weekend. Under 12 free. As a lot of people brought their families in last year we are offering a family rate for the parents and all children under 18 of $45.00. Most of the side shoots are going to run $2.00 to $5.00 and the raffle tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00.  We will also have t-shirts  for sale.

Lodging

We only have a very few primitive camping spaces available on site and they are available on a first come, first served basis.  There is no charge for camping at Sherwood. We probably have  20 spaces that will be available that weekend so I strongly suggest you call ahead or e-mail me to see if there are any sites open.  We have also have two local hotels that are about 5-10 minutes away.

The Quality Inn at 179 Sheraton Dr. can be reached at (540) 562-1912 or qisalem@hotmail.com.

LaQuinta Inn and Suites at 140 Sheraton Drive . They can be contacted at (540) 562-2717 or  www.baymontinns.com

Dixie Caverns Campground is approximately 8 miles south on interstate 81, directly off of the interstate at exit 132.  This will be a busy time of the year for them and their rates are $24.00 per night for complete camper hook-ups and $6.00 for tent campers. They can be reached at  (540) 380-2085.  As the name implies, this campground is located at one of the large underground cavern sites in the area. It would be a worthwhile side trip if you bring the family.   www.dixiecaverns.com

Food

We will be selling hamburgers and hotdogs at the range house and out on the 3-D course for lunch both Saturday and Sunday.  There will also be drinks and snacks for sale.

Venders
We are currently negotiating with numerous venders and have commitments from several bowyers and archery supply businesses.  We hope to post a listing of venders on our website at a later date.

Directions

Sherwood Archers is located about 5-6 miles off of I-81.  We will have signs up at the interstate exits directing you to the range but it is easy to locate. Take the Rt. 419, exit 141 off of I-81. At the light at the end of the ramp make a left onto Rt. 419.  You will only go about 1/8th of a mile and you will make a right onto Dutch Oven road. You will then make another immediate right ontoTimberview road.  Keep straight on Timberview and you will see the signs for the club on your left.  When you come off of the interstate, if you make a right at the light on Rt 419 you will only go 2-3 hundred yards and you will see  Burger King on your  right.  Sheraton Dr. where the hotels are located runs behind this Burger King. The club is located at 2720 Timberview Road, Roanoke , Va. 24153  if you want to put it into your G.P.S.

Sherwood Archers has been an active archery club since the 1950’s and is located on a beautiful parcel of land. We have numerous outdoor practice targets and a full 20 yard indoor range. Some of our ranges/courses are steep but they are well marked and have well established  trails.  There has been a lot of interest and a resurgence in field archery recently.  I know I used to really enjoy shooting a field course but with the advent of 3-D most of those types of shoots died off.  A lot of the guys who shoot with us now came into archery after that point in time and have never experienced a field shoot so we put one on last year to see how much interest it generate.  A lot of the guys who showed came just to shoot the field course and are coming back for the same reason. One of the advantages for those of us who like to launch arrows is that instead of shooting 30 arrows at a 3-D course you will shoot 112 arrows on a field course at distances of from 20 feet to 80 yards.

We are doing our best to make the 3-D course fun and challenging with shots setup at realistic traditional distances. The animal round and the tough man shoot will also serve to challenge your abilities.  All of the courses will be running at the same time so we hope to have enough going to keep everyone out shooting and avoid too many back ups.

Ultimately we would like for everyone who attends, ourselves included, to have a great time and shoot  until you are tired of shooting. Our slogan for this shoot is “shoot til your fingers blister”  We hope to see you there.

For more information contact me at  stykbow59@comcast.net or refer to the Sherwood website at   http://www.sherwoodarchersroanokeva.com/Pages/Traditional.html

R.D. Brookshier

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Hmmm, that's the same weekend as Botetourt Children's Fishing Carnival.  I'm going to be hard pressed to work around that as my kids love to go to the fishing carnival.  I may be able to attend in the afternoon/evening.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I just got off the phone a little while ago working out the details of our custom bow for the bow raffle this year.  Elmer Patton will be building our bow this year. The winner will be able to have a Crow Creek Black Feather or a Crow Creek Mag built to their specifications.

Be sure to buy a hand full of raffle tickets this year!

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Thats great How many do I have to buy to GUARANTEED to win??? Elmer build nice bows and I sure would love to win or buy one.I dont think Elmer has time to build any for anyone else. Im sure hes got 10 more to build for peachey.

Dewayne
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Oh "krud", and I just order another one.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
"Thats great How many do I have to buy to GUARANTEED to win???"

Last year A.L. bought just the one ticket and won the Ancient Spirits bow. I bought $60 bucks worth and won....nothing.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
I hope I win, I need another to add to the flock!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©