INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Late Season Hunting  (Read 296 times)

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Late Season Hunting
« on: December 08, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Anyone still hunting, I had a big doe come right in behind me Saturday but when she got downwind it did'nt take her long to leave. They sure are skittish. Also seeing alot of deer out in fields, all the acorns here are gone.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late Season Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
Yep I am still hunting in Loudoun and Clarke counties. You are right them being skittish. Last week I had a spike at 8 yds but he knew something was not right and I never got a shot. I will be back there this evening, maybe he will show again.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Went out for a few hours in my ghillie Saturday but didn't see anything but squirrels, which I missed.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
The spike was back this evening with about 8-10 friends including a nice 8 point. I think there was a hot doe in the group and several bucks. Too many eyes to get a shot and then they hit my scent stream and it was all over. Maybe in the morning.....
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Went across the mountain to Craig Sat. afternoon. Snowing like crazy that afternoon.  I sat on the side of a huge field and could see but about 50 yards out into it due to the snow. Right at dark I had two big deer come down the fence line. The first was a lot darker than the other and I was concerned he was a buck as I am out of buck tags. I ended up sending a STOS through the second one. First doe I have had past my stand in weeks. I am off Wed, Thurs and Fri. afternoons this week and hope to spend some more time in the woods. Be nice to get a decent snow. Seeing a lot of deer around my house in the fields between 11:00 am and 2-3 pm.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Good job Randy, I dont want no stinkin snow, all I get to do is work when it snows. The middle of the day seems to bring more deer sightings for me too. Its hard to see anything the first 3 hours of the day.

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Yeah, I forgot about you and the snow...

I worked midnight shift last night.  I pulled into my driveway at about 6:45 this morning and saw four bucks and a doe in my front yard. Two of the bucks were huge 8 pointers, 130 inches plus, then a smaller 8 pointer and a half rack buck.  They chased this doe for a good 10 minutes as I sat  in my truck 30 yards away. They never  paid me or my truck any attention at all.  One would chase her to one side of the yard and then another would chase her back. Obvious that the rut is kicking in again and these boys are all fired up. Two of the nicest bucks I have seen so far this year, chasing a doe the first week of December.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
I'll be right over, huury up and put me a stand up.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
I been seeing some good "2nd rut" activity for the past week. Several good buck following big groups of does. Sure is hard to go undetected this time of year! Lots of fun trying, though.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by A.S.:
I been seeing some good "2nd rut" activity for the past week. Several good bucks following big groups of does. Sure is hard to go undetected this time of year! Lots of fun trying, though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©