INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lillardsville Cool Springer Hunt...I gots to know  (Read 275 times)

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
Lillardsville Cool Springer Hunt...I gots to know
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Spent all weekend wishing I was with y'all....how'd everyone make out?  I did get out for a couple hours Sat a.m.; had another encounter with my resident 6-point....he was goofing around on his "scrape line" (a total of one scrape);, and I was able to move within 30 yards of him...like I said; he ain't too bright.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lillardsville Cool Springer Hunt...I gots to know
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Hey Doc, I made it up to hunt with them on Thursday evening. I heard stories of a couple blackies but I'll have to let the ones involved tell about them! I know Nook took a real nice doe Wed. evening.

Did you happen to see the one I killed? Pic is on the "Ya'll Ready" thread.

Sounds like you need to kill that 6 pt to get him out of the gene pool!!!   LOL

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Yeah, I saw him, Allen....good job!  As far as the little 6...we'll see what the next few weeks bring; if I get to December empty-handed, and he keeps letting me get within spittin' distance, I may have to do some culling.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Doc, Doc....    Venison is Venison,  You must be eating high on the Hog... LOL    Good Luck to you.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
OK Doc, I'll give you the scoop on the annual Cool Springs hunting/camping event.

Yes, once again Jeff showed us all up by being the first and only one to score this year.  There were a few more arrows sent on their way, but they all hit dirt.

I'll tell you about my excitment.  
My first hunt was Friday morning.  Travis and I decided to hunt together, and he asked me if I'd rather have a better chance at deer or a bear.  I told him I'd like to have a better chance at a bear since my regular hunting area is pretty much void of them.  We went into a hollow and set up about 75 yards apart.  I wasn't seeing a thing and was wondering if I'd made the right decision on where to hunt.  At 9:40 a.m. I heard a branch break in front of me, and then a black form was approaching me from about 70 yards away.  A beautiful bear was closing fast, coming right at me!  As he came on, he was angling slightly to the right of my tree.  On he came, and at 10 yards he stopped and stared at the base of my tree.  He was quartering to me, so I had no shot.  He then passed to my right at 4 yards, but did not stop to offer a shot.  As he passed my tree, I tried to draw, but the tree was in the way, so I could only get to about 1/2 draw!  I turned completely around and was able to draw from the left side of the tree as he quartered away at 10 yards.  He was walking steadily, so I said "hey" in a low voice to try to get him to stop.  No dice.  He busted out of there, ran about 30 yards, then stopped and looked back.  Too far.

If anyone had told me I'd be 4 yards from a nice bear and not get a shot, I'd have said NO WAY! Well, it happened, and I'm thrilled to tell about it.  What a rush!

Saturday morning was a wash out, with about 2 inches of rain.  We all headed out in the rain for the afternoon hunt, and about 4:30 it quit raining and the sun came out.  I think everyone saw deer, but none were taken.  

As usual we all ate too much.  The early season Cool Springs success resulted in a variety of venison fare.  Chili, balogna, vegetable soup, loin and roast cooked over an open fire, all with venison as a main ingrediant.  Awesome!

We missed you!  Put it on your calendar now so you don't miss 2009.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
Well, there you go, Bill...another advantage to being, uh, my size.  If you only got to 1/2 draw, a guy like me coulda made that shot easy...

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by paradocs:
Well, there you go, Bill...another advantage to being, uh, my size.  If you only got to 1/2 draw, a guy like me coulda made that shot easy...
:clapper:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
i'm sorry i missed it too!  had a great time with family though and my little girl turned 1 on sat.    :D     can't believe it, time flys!

sounds like you boys were knee deep in the game too!  hopefully me and doc will make next year and show ya'll how to make some of those shots in hard to reach places.

welcome home boys!
"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »

:goldtooth:  

This Dry doe came in on Wed night at dark thirty.  I shot her at ~ 10 yards, quartering to me...  Hey it ain't a "Spectator Sport"... She bulldozed through the mountain laurel down a old logging road to a creek bottom.  When I got down there was no arrow... no blood...  I knew by the shot and the sound she was hit hard.  I just let her lie.  Hunted the next morning until 9:00am.  Had a nice black bear stroll by me before shooting light.  It was cool to hear how far the bear progressed down the ridge by the sound of the deer blowing getting further and further away.  Anyway, I found my doe ~150 yards from the stand next to the creek bottom. The rest of my hunting got a little interupted.  Our official score keeper Jackie (my 15 yr old daughter) came down with Toxic Shock Syndrom.  She is still in the Hospital and getting better.  Life comes at you fast.  In all honesty we could have lost her.  I spent Friday and Sat. morn at the hospital.  She cried and told me she didn't want to ruin my trip.  Sweet girl.. I assured her she was more impotant.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
Bill, just think if you had been left handed!! Probably be eatin' some bear stew right about now....well maybe not!  LOL

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
Sorry to hear about Jackie, Jeff....we'll be thinkin' of her.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
Well..I survived another Cool Springs Hunt.No game taken but I did let one fly and missed at the edge of dark thirty.This year I liketa froze my @$% off.This was the first year we waited this late to go,but the hunting is usally better.
  A great time was had by all,the stories around the campfire and the eats was awesome.Thanks to all of you guys for bringing foods and Coolspringer don't forget the encounter we had in Rochelle..LOL.Made for another story of a different sort.
  Nook we were sorry to hear about Jackie and it weighed heavy on our hearts as we stalked the deer woods.Thank the good Lord he was looking out after her as he does all his children.Take care guys and thanks for every thing.....
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©