INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The rut repot  (Read 354 times)

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
The rut repot
« on: October 19, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Thought it would be a good idea to track the rut throught VA. Heres what I know and have heard....

1. Ragged Island. Looks like the pre-rut is in full swing. Scrapes and rubs everywhere.

2. Chickahominy WMA: Ive only been there once, but did not see any scrapes, rubs, etc. I did talk to one fella who says the rut is already happing there? Anyone have an opinion?

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The rut repot
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Not yet in the Valley, heard a buck yesterday grunting but only minor rubs so far. Maybe it will open with the cooler weather.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I've heard a couple bucks grunting in the past week. Has a buck follow some does in Tues. I never saw him, but watched the top of a sapling get worked over about 50 yards from me.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Pre-rut is happening, Rubs and some scrapes but I have not seen any rutting activity here.  Some young bucks are still together and have not seen any does being chased yet.

Just got back from Bath county at Rough Mountain and there was a six pointer taken... and his neck was normal and hocks unstained so I don't think it is happening there either.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Seen lots of rubs, including my apple trees.  Last night saw a nice buck feeding with three does and he didn't bother them a bit, just ate.  So I'd say no here near Roanoke.  But nights have been frosty.  Soon.

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Two of the past three days I have seen bucks chasing does. Not full out chasing but the "pushing" that occurs pre-rut. No swollen necks or stained hocks. Did pass a spot last night that had that "smell" though. That's here in Frederick County, VA.

Bob
Einstein: It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
A fella killed a nice little buck at chickahominey today that was showing all of the signs of the rut. Hocks are dark, neck swollen, pushing does. Also saw a couple of scrape lines throught the area today. Its comming!

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
i hunt some really thick woods on my little piece of land, so i couldnt see, but i heard a buck grunting and chasing, probley a doe or two.  makin alot of noise! that was about oct. 28
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Online Stinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Saw a little six pushing a doe on Saturday the 8th in Orange County and saw lots of rubs and scrapes.  In Fairfax County there are some scrapes but the fawns are still with the does.  I took a 6 point on Tuesday the 11th and his tarsals were dark and stunk, but he was still in company with another buck.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Killed a 17 3/4 inch inside 6 pointer this evening showing close to full rut sign. Neck swollen pretty good but not full and stained hocks.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
It would seem you have been remiss, Ron...your last post is useless without pics  :knothead:

Online Stinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
I live in a townhouse subdivision of Herndon and there was a huge 8 point bedded with a doe right outside my back door yesterday afternoon.  It was the largest deer I have ever seen on the hoof in Virginia.  The tines were not that long but had great mass and the spread was easily 26 inches.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Ron-good going-I guess if the shoe fits, lol. Way to fill the freezer.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Saw a very nice buck this evening.  He was on the move at about 4:30.  I got him to change his course by grunting at him, but he never offered a shot.  He was definitely on a mission.  It was the only buck I saw all day.  I have all next week off, so hopefully I'll be telling some stories  :)
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
found a pretty good scrape on chickahomony the other day and sow a buck running through some real thick stuff
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
In Culpeper county, the first chasing I witnessed was on the 1st and 2nd of November.  Warmer weather set in on the 3rd and slowed things down a lot.  The younger bucks have been really active the last few weeks, but nothing big was moving.  Rattling brought some good responses the last week of October.  Rutting activity should be running pretty hot with the shift to cooler temps again.  Unfortunately, it was back to work today....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©