INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ground blinds are Dangerous!  (Read 294 times)

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground blinds are Dangerous!
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
My 9 year old daughter has been wanting to do some bow hunting with me so this past summer I broke down and bought a Double Bull blind and a couple of stools. Friday afternoon was warm and a beautiful day. She didn't have dance or gymnastics so was free to go with me. We sat up on the edge of a clearcut alongside of an awesome trail. About an hour before dark, pretty much prime time, I heard something in the leaves on her side of the blind. I told her to look out her windows but she said there wasn't anything out there. By now it is totally dark inside the blind but plenty light outside. I sat there for a few more minutes and she tells me that there is something in the blind with us. Yeah right...in the blind with us.  She is persistant and says that something is walking around the front of the blind. I am half deaf and mostly to just appease her I turned on the flashlight to illuminate the inside of our blind. I should have listened to her sooner as I discovered a nice copperhead had crawled inside the blind with us and was curled up about 6" away from my boot facing me. That blind had seemed awful roomy earlier in the evening but I have to tell you... with me, my daughter, my bow, two stools, my backpack and the snake, it got real crowded in there real fast.

I guess I never thought of a snake crawling in to the blind with us.

Offline Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground blinds are Dangerous!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Wow that is scary. That is one of the reasons I like cool weather better. I hope you both were unscathed.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
:scared:   That taint funny.  Thought it would be cool enough for them snakes to be looking to hibernate. Glad it wasnt worse. Sometimes it pays to listen to the young uns.  Good Luck to you Randy!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
I gotta get a hearing aid...

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Did you get it and skin it for a new bow?  :bigsmyl:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Nah. I give all of the rattlesnakes I kill to a couple of friends who use them for leather crafts. I was a little excited on this copper head and ended up flailing him pretty good. Didn't do the hide any good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©