INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: new shooter looking for info (Stafford/King George area)  (Read 585 times)

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
new shooter looking for info (Stafford/King George area)
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Hi, my 13 year old son and I are interested in trying traditional archery. For now this would be a hobby, target shooting as opposed to hunting. We live in Stafford County (near Quantico) and I was wondering if there are any "traditional friendly" pro-shops in the area. I'd like to stay in an hour or so drive if possible.

I guess the other question would be local archery ranges and clubs.

Thanks in advance!

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new shooter looking for info (Stafford/King George area)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Not sure about your area.  I guess you'll just have to wait and see who chimes in here.  

David

Middlesex County
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Sorry, I'm west of you.  Have no idea.

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Just sent you a pm.

Online Stinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Sharps,

There aren't any really good shops in the area for trad shooters.  Gander Mountain in Fredericksburg used to have a great guy there who was trying to get their trad gear up to speed but he isn't there any longer.  There is Bowes and Arrows on Rte 1 near Ft Belvoir, but Bobby (the owner) is a cantankerous old curmudgeon and they cater to mainly the whell bow guys.  Hoffman's out in Warrenton and B&B archery in Manasaas both have a few trad bows but again, they cater mainly to the compound guys and are limited in both knowledge and gear.  There is a great shop in Mt Airy Maryland (the Gun Shack, I think) that has trad gear and both of the archery guys shoot trad.  That would be a hour plus drive for you, but it is the closest shop to you that I'm aware of.

Offline jmdavis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by sharps54:
Hi, my 13 year old son and I are interested in trying traditional archery. For now this would be a hobby, target shooting as opposed to hunting. We live in Stafford County (near Quantico) and I was wondering if there are any "traditional friendly" pro-shops in the area. I'd like to stay in an hour or so drive if possible.

I guess the other question would be local archery ranges and clubs.

Thanks in advance!
Hunt-n-Shak on Rt 250 at the Gum Springs exit of I64W is about an hour or so. One of the guys there hunts traditional and they have a pretty good selection of longbows (PSE, Bear) and recurves. Greentop on Rt 1 South of Ashland has some traditional but I wouldn't say that they are particularly "traditional friendly". I'm told one of the guys at the new "Bass Pro Shop" is really into traditional (but that is just what I've been told). Bass Pro had several longbows and recurves when I went there (Bear, PSE, Martin?).
1976 50# Bear Black Bear Recurve
2008 55# Intranature Viper Longbow
2011 46# Abbott Longbow

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
Thanks for all the responses! I'll check out Hunt-n-Shak and the Gun Shack/Crosswind All Outdoors in Mt. Airy, MD. Any recommendations on clubs in my area? I was looking at the Prince William County Izaak Walton League site and saw they have an indoor range as well as a 3D course. Once we get set up it's no big deal to travel a few hours to different shoots but since I don't have anywhere to shoot at the house we need to find somewhere local to practice.

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
The Izakk Walton has a shooting range. It's down rt.610. About 10 miles from 95.

Online Stinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Fort Belvoir has a great set up.  They have an indoor target point range and an indoor broadhead range.  They have an outdoor 3-D target range for broadheads and an outdoor set up with about 8 lanes that go from 10 to 60 yards.  They also have a very nice field range.  Belvoir Bowhunters has a website that lists their activities.  I'm not a member and they mainly cater to compounders but I see trad guys there once in a while.

Offline Dave Stein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
I would stay away from Prince William Izaak Walton League. It a fine organization but will cost you an arm and both legs to join. Very expensive. If you are in Stafford I agree with Stinger and use the Belvoir range, much better, bigger and none of the politics.
AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES:

If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives; then you'll be afraid to cough.

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice so far, sorry I have been away from the site, holidays and all that. I got up to see a nice salesman by the name of Bob at the Gun Shack/Crosswind All Outdoors in Mt. Airy, MD (we were visiting family in the area) and we found 20# will be a good starting weight for my son, Wyatt, he starts shaking over that. He recommended that I buy Wyatt a PSE Buckeye Heritage Recurve Bow because we can get heavier limbs down the road and it is inexpensive in case Wyatt decides this is just a passing fad for him. Any comments on this bow as a starting target bow for a 13 year old?

Now I am also starting but I need a left handed bow so we won't be able to share, which might not be a bad thing. Bob really felt I should start with a 45# if possible but I thought that seemed a bit heavy, I was looking at just target shooting for now anyhow. When I feel I am ready to move to bow hunting I don't mind buying a different bow. That said if I am just target shooting with my boy is there a reason to buy a heavier pull bow? Bob said if I had a 30# or under I could share arrows with Wyatt's 20# bow. If that is the case should I just get a left hand PSE Buckeye Heritage Recurve Bow so Wyatt can use the 30# limbs when he is ready to move up?

He didn't have any left handed PSEs in stock so we didn't buy anything (well I did buy a copy of "Hunting the Hard Way" by Howard Hill, great book!) and will have to order my bow. I figured I would check here before ordering anything. I don't mind paying for quality (I figured a good bow would cost about as much as a rifle) but if the PSE Heritage bows will do the job for just over $100 each I don't see a reason to spend more if I don't have to.

I haven't looked hard into joining anywhere yet as I don't even have a bow, I am in the process of joining Northern Virginia Gun Club in King George for other reasons, anyone a member there?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I used to belong to that Izaak Walton, I only met nice people there. I meet every Thursday with a bunch of shooting cronies, and two of them still belong there. I have not been there in years, though.

There is another IWLA in Centreville which reputedly has nice archery facilities. I belong to NORVA, located in Clifton at Fountainhead Park. These clubs may be too far out of the way for you, though.

I have shot at Belvoir a few times, and it IS very nice.

Your idea of inexpensive starter bows for yourself and your son seems very practical and wise, to me. I have no experience with those bows, however. Any bow will do for you for now, though. Heck, I started with a solid fiberglass bow, and I turned out all right. Still have the bow, too!   :thumbsup:

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Killdeer! I guess if no one else pipes up I'll stay the course and report back after we buy the bows. I have a hankering to start with a longbow after reading Howard Hill! I'll probably go ahead and get the recurve to start with and go from there, I guess it's kind of silly to spend a lot of money on a light # longbow so I'll start with the PSE Heritage for now.

Offline Stringslap16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Hey Sharp.  I am also new to trad archery (less then a year).  I bought an entry level Korean Import, a Samick Spirit II.  It shoots great, but if I knew what I know now I would go with a Quinn Stallion.  http://www.quinnsarchery.com/quinn\\'s_archery_003.htm   It looks better, and is made in the USA.

It would be a little bit more then the PSE, but Quinn might be dollar for dollar one of the best bows out there.
I am a bowhunter in who the old ways have joined the new

Samick Spirit II 40# at 28"
Monsters Bows Lycan (Soon)
Monster Bows Dragon (Sooner)

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks Stringslap! I appreciate it. We still need to pick up a bow for Wyatt but I ended up buying a slightly used Turkey Creek Longbow. Even though I didn't buy it from him Doug from Turkey Creek spent about 10 minutes on the phone with me helping me get the right arrows for it since I have a pretty short draw length. If I like the bow as much as I think I will I plan to order a hunting bow from him when I am ready, he was very helpful. I was also impressed that he was able to remember the bow and who he had sold it to by the description of it, I don't know how many left handed bows he does but he made a great impression.

Since I have posted here I have also made contact with the NORVA club (thanks Killdeer!) in Fairfax Station   http://northernvirginiaarchers.org/   and will be going up to join them at their next meeting in February!

Offline redblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Hey there sharp you need to take a trip to the bass pro shops down in ashland it is only about 45 50 min away. Go to the bow department and ask for charlie. Charlie is the guy that was trying to get things up to speed at gander mountain. He got me started and knows more about traditional archery than we could ever hope to know. In the last few years he has gotten into primtive shooting and makeing primitive bows arrows and stone points. Hope this helps. I live just up the street in fredericksburg if I can help somehow. Talk to you later.

Offline Andy Diggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
Charlie at Bass Pro in Ashland is stringstretcher on this site I believe. When he saw me looking at the trad bows on a very busy Sunday he took the time to go in the back and get his bamboo backed Osage bow and river cane arrows to show me and my son.They don't stock a lot of trad gear, but if you happen to be in there you should look him up.

Offline MarthaK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
The Quantico Shooting Club has an archery range, or should I say, a place to shoot bows. It can be an expensive membership if you aren't military, but it is a nearby place to shoot if the particulars are right.

Also, every Thursday evening trad folks shoot at the range in the Gander Mtn on Rt 3 in Fredericksburg. Charlie, aka stringstretcher, shows up there sometimes, schedule permitting.

As for trad bows and equipment, that's one of the reasons I go to various shoots each spring and summer.  I can pick up what I need from the terrific vendors and get info to buy more later via mail order.
Faithful servant to the Dino Wrangler.

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Sorry I have been off this site so long; redblood, Andy Diggs, and MarthaK thanks for the info! I have joined NORVA in Prince William to have a place to shoot. While I was at the meeting the other night Paul Vogel recommended I check out the classes on Monday nights at Ft. Belvoir as well. Of course all that is the opposite direction...

MarthaK what time do folks generally get to the Gander Mtn on Thursdays?

Offline MarthaK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Some are there as early a 4 p.m. but You can expect to find someone there from 5:30 or 6 p.m.
Folks shoot until closing time.
Faithful servant to the Dino Wrangler.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©