INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ya'll Ready? Now with Pics...  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ya'll Ready? Now with Pics...
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Nice buck Steve.  Congrats.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Went out this morning a little late.  Didn't want to hit the snooze button and have the alarm wake up my wife so I turned off the alarm thinking I'd get up but I slept until 6:11.  It was already light by the time I entered the woods.  Even though it's gun season I rarely see anything of size by this time of the year so I decided I'd try to take one of the does I see hanging around my woods with my bow. As I reached a flat spot on the hill behind my house I saw a lone deer flag on the side of the hill above me.  That's okay, it just a lone deer.  No antlers, or it could be the spike I saw Saturday.  Took a few more steps and saw 5 flags go up far to my left.  Great, there goes all the does.  I went up anyway and got to one of my favorite ground ambush sites; an area between a big rock and a large tree.  

The squirrels were everywhere and I debated hard about forgetting deer and just chasing squirrels but the thought of cleaning a squirrel and cooking it today changed my mind.  I was just relaxing and enjoying the morning when I suddenly noticed the form of the back end of a deer 15 yards uphill from me.  Where did that come from?  I was totally unprepared.  I had my ghillie on but hadn't gotten around to putting on my glove and armguard or nocking an arrow.  After all I had chased all the deer off the property, right?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
The deer's head was behind a tree and so I quickly ducked behind the rock and armed myself.  Rising back up the deer had moved a little forward and caught my movement.  I froze.  It looked at me and did the head bob and moved back and forth trying to figure me out.  Eventually it calmed down and started feeding.  When it went behind a big tree I got positioned.  I checked it out; no antlers, no nubs, a little small but green light was go.  I waited until it was head down feeding and took aim and released.  The shot looked good if not a little forward.  It took off back the way it came and I heard other deer, unseen by me in a slight draw to my left also scramble.  Hmmm, that group of does had feed back this way I guess.

The deer was just to the right of the big tree above the rock.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
I waited 30 minutes enjoying the morning sun warming up.  I went to where the deer had been standing and didn't find my arrow or any blood. Uh, oh.  I could see the ground tore up where it scrambled off but no blood or hair.  I followed the path confident of the shot anyway.  I checked for 20 yards and no blood or sign of any kind except tracks.  I began to doubt my shot when I saw my arrow uphill.  I guess it had gone a different route than I thought.  The arrow was bent and showed a good 8-10" penetration but not a pass-through.  The blood was bright and had some bubbles.  There was a big piece of lung on some nearby branches.  Good hit.  More importantly the blood trail started here.  (made me think of wingnut's thread about passthroughs vs an arrow still in the deer, my vote is pass-through)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
The blood trail was thin but steady and I found the deer about 80 yards from where I shot.  The problem was that on close inspection "she" was a he.  Small nobs that I couldn't see at 10 yards were there.  So small I wasn't sure they were buttons but he had the "equipment".  I was sad I hadn't taken a doe and had taken a young buck but happy at the same time for a quick recovery and fast kill.  I had hit him low in the front shoulder at an uphill angle.  I hit one lung and sliced the top of the heart and I guess hit the offside leg.  It felt like it was broken at the shoulder.

The tenderloins are soaking and I had a fun morning and lots of time to get to spend with family around a table of plenty.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Offline Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »
There is some good eating there Chuck.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Congrats Talondale!
I also had some luck.  This evening I took a big doe just before dark.  Sorry, no pictures.  I was beginning to think the hunt was a bust when a doe and two yearlings came by. I had to shoot almost straight down.  The shot was good and she didn't go far.  This was my first deer using the Easton Tracer nock.  It worked perfectly and really gave me confidence that my shot was on the money  :)  
I'm "managing" the doe herd this year, but the bucks must be invisible.  I know they're around, so I'll keep trying.
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Congrats Talondale and Bill!!!

Gettin' pretty tough to find a deer in my spot with all the gunners blastin' on both sides of me!

I picked up a ground blind last week. I'm going to try a new spot this coming week. Blind is already out, and brushed in. Just thought I'd give the deer a few days to get used to it...hopefully!!

Online Nook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Congrats  Talondale and Bill also...  I hunted in my Guillie Suit Sat.  Had a doe at 12 yards.  Two more steps and I could have drawn my bow.  She decided that the new bush smelled funny.....  Soooo Close.....    :banghead:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Congrats Chuck, fine eating there.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Cool Beans Guys!!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
Way to go guys! Know what you mean Bill about the bucks-in the same boat but the freezer is getting full with good eating.
 Keep at it and stay safe.
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by A.S.:
[QB] Now introducing the bowkill of the year for us Va boys!!! Congrats Peachy....let's hear a story.

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Trying this for the first time.

This is my first buck with trad gear.  First was a doe a few weeks before.  Here is the story.

I'm hunting on the base I work on in Dahlgren, Va.
Same tree I took the doe from a few week earlier.  I noticed the acorns were dropping so the next time I decided to hunt the same spot.  Got in the tree about 3pm and saw what I think in the same buck I shot on the edge a a creek that has water in in when the stream rises.  I saw him out about 100 yards crossing the creek area.  Got out my grunt call and gave it a try.  Grunted and watched the buck look back and then proceed on his way.  About 45 minutes later I hear something coming from the direction I saw the buck disappear from.  I first saw him and my heart started beating and I was shaking.  He proceeded to tease me at about 20 yards munching on acorns.  I wasn't comfortable taking that shot plus there was a fresh scrape 10 yards in front of me that I thought he might come to.

I watched him for 15 or so minutes then he decided to head down towards me.  First, I thought he was going to go to my left then he switched at the last minute and went right past my stand at about 8 yards.  I was nervous and picked a spot behind his front shoulder.  As I released and saw the arrow hit I was disappointed I had hit him too far back.  I immediately said to my self that I was not going to push him, but would leave him all night.  

Arrived and started my search a first light.  I found my arrow about 5 minutes after I started searching.  I was feeling a little bit better because the arrow had some blood and most importantly no gut!

I started making a circle around the spot and found him within 5 minutes he was only 60 yards from where I had shot him.

I was using a 56" Mojo Stik 49# @ 26" draw.  I was and am the happiest guy out there.  I've been trying to take a deer with trad gear for 4 years.

Forgot to mention that the day I shot the doe I saw 5 different bucks and I think this was one of them.  

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/melamos_4/DSC_0001-1.jpg

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Let's try this again.

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Further investigation showed that I had hit liver.

R,
Mel

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Congrats Mel,  That's a Beauty!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement