INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Va. hunters wanted for 2010 CO Elk hunt (DoItYourself)  (Read 318 times)

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Va. hunters wanted for 2010 CO Elk hunt (DoItYourself)
« on: August 17, 2008, 03:52:00 AM »
I want to put together an elk hunt with some of us in CO in 2010. With gas costing  as much as it does ... if 3-4 of us together and a pull behind UHaul it could be  pretty cheap.Plus with 2 years to get the money and get in shape it will be alot easier to plan...
Was thinking of OTC tags and doing it ourselves...   Might look into finding someone with horses from the area we will be hunting to pack out any game we take...Or if we all decide together do adrop camp???
If you decide to join me ..this is going to be a group effert...I'm planning on doing alot of research to find the best spot for us to go and I'm going to need alot of help.. Gear list? Elk calls??? Helping me network with others to make this a great hunt...
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Va. hunters wanted for 2010 CO Elk hunt (DoItYourself)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
I may be interested, keep me in mind if anything begins to gel.

I'm working on a backpack hunt for myself and one friend for next season in southern CO. He is a horse man and we are both experienced backpackers to include CO. For next years trip we may use a service to pack out game but we'll probably be on foot.

Keep me posted.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Just got back home from 2 1/2 weeks in Colorado.  Would strongly recommend putting in for the draw for one or more of the better units (581, 66, or 67).  Units open for OTC tags are crawling with ATV's and  guys blowing bugles like there is no tomorrow.  Don't mean to discourage you, but you should be able to get drawn for one of the hot spots where you don't have to be bothered with a bunch of guys that think blowing a bugle at two o'clock in the afternoon is the only way to hunt elk.  Drop me a line if you need some specific info.  I'd be glad to help.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline redblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
keep us posted sounds good though.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
That is a dream hunt for me. I have a small trailer or loan if I can't go. An Elk hunt would be really fun.
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Chopper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
I have hunted Colorado for over 30 years and know alot of the areas, good and bad.  The draw is definitely a good way to go, but you will need several preference points to draw a good unit. You can only get one point per application per year, so it takes awhile to accumulate points. Obviously the better the unit, the more pts. it takes to draw. Start now, deadline for application is usually in April. A Hunter Safety course is mandatory if you were borne after 1949. This must be carried with you, or onfile with the DOW to purchase a lic., $529.00 for either sex archery this past year. The  nonresident regs. are probably going to change in the near future. The Colo. DOW will assist you with anything you need to get started.
There are good OTC units if you are in good shape and get off the roads and trails. Drop camps are nice, but can get pricey and you are stuck in that area for the generation of the hunt.
If I can assist you string cutter in any way, please feel free to email me @ mikestknstrg@aol.com

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm still looking for a partner.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
That would be such a fun hunt but I don't know that I would be a good partner as not a lot of real hunting experience. I would also need the support from the Wify and us married folk know how that can go sometimes...
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Patrick, If you can sneak away just $100 -150 a month she shouldn"t be able to say a thing???? I'm giving up smoking and sodas to cover most if not all of the cost.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
I'll have to plant the seed first to see how she takes it and then go from there. Something like: "honey I'm getting older by the day and an elk hunt would be really nice before I die"    :archer:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
Always remember "Its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission"!!!!!!!!!

Dewayne
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Give Paul Moore of W3Outfitters a call. He does fully guided, drop camps and pack in services. Very reasonable prices and his area is 100 square miles of non-motorized forrest. No ATVs' ! By foot or horses only. If you avoid the muzzleloader season you'll not see another soul.
1-877-826-0636, or 1-970-3002

Offline Chopper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Tom, are you still looking for a hunting partner for this September? I try get out there each year and, God willing will be going back this year. I know a couple of good areas and If I do not draw one of the better units, I will be hunting two of my old areas. You can email me at: mikestknstrg@verizon.net

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©