INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: October Hunting at Fulfillment Farms WITH PICS  (Read 8397 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: October Hunting at Fulfillment Farms WITH PICS
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
We are covering the application under a group permit. Please read a copy of the rules on the website and bring a signed copy of the liability waiver if you can. There is a sign at the entrance to the farm. I will get you directions shortly.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Dave Stein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
How far is it from Germany and do I turn left or right when I get to 38 deg 53'north latitude  77 deg 02'west longitude? Do I have to buy an international permit or am I covered under the SOFA agreement?   :wavey:      :biglaugh:
AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES:

If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives; then you'll be afraid to cough.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
:readit:

Offline Dave Stein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Ron,
You totally bypassed my sarcasm. Can't you tell I miss the fall woods already   :help:  

:goldtooth:
AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES:

If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives; then you'll be afraid to cough.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I think the man needs some jerky......
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 05:28:00 AM »
I Hate to Jerk you along Dave, I will try and get some jerky made soon.. LOL  It is Hunting Season ya know?  :p    :D

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
I wish I had more free time.  This place looks neat.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Chuck, If you can make it come on down. It should be a good time.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Let us know what you find Wednesday. Do you have a map yet?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
The map I am using is the one at the monument. I hope Ike will have a couple to spare so we will have at camp.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Hey Guys, Check this out as there is some new pics.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049467;p=3

Offline Tommy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I may have Thursday 25th available if there are any spaces. I live in Waynesboro just over the mountian.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I think that there are plenty of spaces, see you there!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Looks like it is just Wednesday and Thursday for me. Will try to make it down Tuesday evening to set up camp. Hope to see some Trad Gangers on those days.  :bigsmyl:

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Are you staying Thurs night Ron?, I might be able to get down Wednesday night but it might end up being Thursday AM, I have never been there, is it easy to get to?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I hope to come down Tuesday afternoon and set up camp and maybe hunt that evening. I have to work Friday so I will not be staying Thursday night. It is easy to get to. I will try and get you directions tonight.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I had planned on attending this hunt, it realy sounds like fun and I would finally get to meet you guys. The owner of one of my favorite hunting spots has passed away and his children have the place for sale and this unfortunatly will probably be my last year to hunt there. The last two times there I have seen a 17" 8-10 pointer with long tines. I think I may have him figured out, he even bedded for a bit 25-30 yds. from me the other evening. Twice I have seen him pass an old tree that I used to hunt before I moved to where I have been hunting. It was hard to move my stand knowing it is a good location and I have killed a bunch of deer there, but I did it.
So I want to devote as much time as I can in the pursuit of "big boy". You all have a good time and kill some deer. Hopefully I will be able to attend next year. For sure you will hear about if "big boy" falls to one of my larch arrows.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Best of luck to you Jack.  :thumbsup:

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Good luck sir!

Offline paleFace

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Rain and more Rain!  slowed down the hunting but not before!!!!   :goldtooth:

Big Ron & his hunting partner, Martin, arrived in camp yesterday a long with myself in the early afternoon.  Mac had arrived on Sunday and had already been into deer.  

we all made short work of getting camp in order and with the sun creeping closer to the western horizon we were ready to head out for and afternoon in the timber.  

without having a spot selected Martin and I both decided to stay mobile on the ground and take advantage of the few hours of daylight left to locate a sweet spot to set up for the coming days. Ron decided he would set up his climber  in a spot that he had found on a previous scouting trip.

i headed due south down into the creek bottom and as soon as i crossed the first creek i jumped a fat doe.  she must have heard noise, but didn't know the source of the disturbance.  she only ran about 10 yards before stopping and turning around to investigate. not being prepared for such a quick encounter my arrows were still tucked neatly in my stalker quiver, so all i could do was stand motionless and let the situation play itself out.

she finally relaxed and walked down the opposite side of the creek without giving me an opportunity for a shot. i thought to myself "if this is any indication of things to come it's going to be a great week of hunting".  

i eased my way from one hedge row to another stopping to glass each field as i made my way towards a pre selected hill top.  approaching the back field at the base of the hill i spotted a nice hen turkey feeding on the edge. i circled around to the left behind a small rise in the field that would cover my movement. by the time reached the back corner the bird had worked out into the field and there was a strip of un cut brush that allowed me good cover to move in closer.

with the wind blowing about 10-15 knots i was able to work my way to within about 15 yards of the hen.  to bad turkeys were not on the harvest list at Fulfillment in the fall. she finally worked her way away from me and i circled around heading for the highest vantage point of the field.

from here i could see several other fields, one to the west and another north towards camp. the big hen was still visible down in the corner of the field and while watching her through my binos i spotted movement just inside the woods. deer number two!  i wasn't able to get a good look at it's head, but from the body size i felt certain it was a buck or a really big doe.

i glassed the fields and edge of the woods for close to an hour before moving out towards the bottom where traveling past the spot where i had seen the deer. the sun was sinking at a fast pace, darkness would arrive in less than an hour so i decided to tuck myself back in the brush in the corner of this field to see if any other critters might show themselves.  

twenty minutes had passed when i heard leaves rustling off to my left. i could tell what ever was making the sound would step out in the field at a distance of about 15 yards so i readied my bow and attempted to calm my self by taking in some deep breaths of air. i was certain it was a deer but as it came closer the pace of the steps caused me to second guess myself and the first thought that crossed my mind was bear.

like the turkey, bears were not on the list so i was hoping that i was wrong. 15 yards on the ground felt a little to close for comfort. about that time a dark from appeared of the two legged kind. i let out a light whistle and Martin turned to look back over his shoulder spotting me tucked up tight to a cedar tree. we both had a good laugh and then headed towards camp with only about 45 minutes of day light left.  

the walk back to camp was all up hill and by the time i arrived at my truck i was soaked with sweat. here it is almost November and Mr. summer is holding on with a tenacious grip. 80 degrees just ain't my kind of weather to hunt in, but it's better than not hunting at all. i stripped off my outer layer and draped my shirt over a near by branch to dry.

do you ever get the feeling that someone or something is watching you?  well that's exactly what i felt as i swung the sleeve of my shirt over the branch. i looked behind me down towards the creek bottom and there she stood, a big doe looking right at me from about 80 yards. she was followed by 3 more does. i motioned to Martin that could see something down in the bottom.

we watched the 4 does for about a minute before they had had enough.  doing a 180 they headed back towards the cut through where we had just come from not 10 minutes earlier. with 30 minutes of daylight left i wasn't going to pass up an opportunity, so i headed in their direction with a dry shirt on.  

back down in the creek bottom i found a cut through where the deer had been crossing from one straw field to the other.  i eased down through the creek and when i came out on the opposite side of the hedge row there was a huge white oak.  this tree was probably 6-7 feet in diameter and had branches as big as most whites oak. it was a stately old fellow and i'm sure it had seen or herd quite a lot in it's many years of life. if only the trees could talk, i think i would have had to spend a week this old man.

seeing the trails that criss crossed by this tree i couldn't resist sitting out the last minutes of day light resting against old man oaks friendly trunk. it turned out to be a good decision. not a minute after i got situated a doe popped over the hill heading straight towards me. as she crossed my track she froze. she smelled my but had no idea of where i was due to the swirling wind and evening thermals taking my scent back down hill.

at 20 yards i had her broadside, but the gray light of dusk being all that was left of the day a long with the numerous saplings i opted to hold off on the shot.  she worked her way around behind me and out of sight as the last few seconds of light gave way to darkness. what a cool encounter and another story for old man oak to tell. i had had a great first afternoon and made a new friend.  

back in camp Mac was all smiles as he told of his hunt and the perfect shot he had made on a nice little doe.  

i will finish up here and let Mac chime in with the story.  

Day 2 coming, a long with the sheets of rain and wet butts. the forecast doesn't look to let up any time soon and the remainder of the week may be a way.  on the positive side, we have not had any measure of rain for months here in Virginia and we badly needed this rain despite the fact that it has put the brakes on our hunting.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©