INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Traditional friendly shops in Baldwin County?  (Read 853 times)

Offline STL

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional friendly shops in Baldwin County?
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
We are finally getting settled down in Bay Minette, AL, and I was wondering if we have any shops around here that stock much traditional stuff.  So far Bass Pro has had the best selection.  It would be great if we had some local options (it's looking like internet orders!).

Thanks!

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional friendly shops in Baldwin County?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
There are none, I order or make everything. Usually order from big Jim. As far as broad heads, carbon arras, some strings, and stuff like that, check out rocky creek hunting supply in atmore. Ask for dewayne. He has limited stuff but will order you bout anything you want.

Dave

Offline STL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks Dave; I was afraid of such!  I'll have to check out Rocky Creek; we're only around 20 minutes from Atmore.

I make my own strings and such, too, but was hoping we might have a well-traditional-equipped shop local... oh well!

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:00 AM »
Its looking like there are a small group of us in this area. Might be about time to start an informal club/ group where we can meet once in a while, get to know each other , maybe shoot together a bit. It could become a thing where if you needed some feathers or nock/points in a hurry or just wanted to try out a certain arrow spine before buying that one of the others could help out.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Kituwa, I work in Monroeville and Atmore and live in Spanish Fort. So I'm up ur way a lot. I shoot with Monroe County Bow hunters assoc shoots a lot also. I  have a group in Baldwin Co that shoots some as well.

Dave

Offline STL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all around here.  I'm surprised that Baldwin doesn't have an archery club as large as it is!

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Dave, i had no idea there was a monroe county bow hunters assoc,lol. My son has friends he hunts with in Baldwin county. I also have two daughters in Atmore and another son just outside of monroeville.Im not actually in Repton thats just our mailing address, i am 3 miles off interstate 65.Do any of you guys ever hunt hogs out on the islands in the delta?

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
I will check with some friends in Baldwin co. and see if any have some land suitable for a small range we could shoot at.I know some of them are big bowhunters but they shoot wheel bows but they shoot with us at our house sometimes.We have 65 acres here in Conecuh co. with plenty of room to shoot but its about an hour away from where most of you guys prolly live. One of the guys has a boat to get out on the islands to hunt too so that could be arranged if anyone wants to try their hand on some good hog hunting when it cools down enough.

Offline STL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
We're planning on trying our hand at the Delta; we did some duck hunting last winter and saw plenty of hog sign there.  It is VERY thick though.  If you could find some thinned areas or some good trails to hunt from a stand I think you could do good. I would love to stick one with my recurve!

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Some of us gather to shoot at a buddy's house but the availabilities we have are kinda thin these days it seems. There's a pretty good group of us here on Baldwin co. I hunt just west of atmore near nokomis across the florida line. No hogs but a lot of deer. I've never tried the delta bc between the hunt club I'm in and our family land I've never had to. I want to tho, el Greco, johnnyk71 and I keep talking about it. If I had a boat I'd prolly have tried already.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Kituwa, the MCBHA just got started bout a year ago and the shoots are held at little river state park out of Uriah. It's good fun and they have a trad division. A few of us shot over a few weekends this past spring and had a blast.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Ok, i talked to my son and he says his friend has plenty of good big places on their land to shoot. It is outside of Bay Minnete. He says he is pretty sure they wont have a problem with it and says the boys would love some others to shoot with.I will ride over the first chance i get and talk to them and explain exactly what we want to do and see what i can work out. Ideally it would be a place any of you guys could go shoot by yourself if you needed to also.
Yes the delta can be some thick wild stuff for sure.Hogs can be hunted a lot of different ways. One good way on those thick islands is have most of the guys get on stands and a cpl guys slowly work their way around hopeing to have the hogs circle around the walkers.My son says that works good there.
arrowlauncher, i didnt know that they were shooting at little river, i will have to check that out.
We have a lot of deer on our farm but the hunting clubs around us put out so much feed that it messes up our hunting now by the time season opens. We get lots of pics on the trail cams but everything comes in at night.I do know of a big place outside of Monroeville that is top notch deer hunting land and they plant lots of food plots and such. Not many hunting on it and i dont think anyone durring bow season.My son gets to go for free because its owned by his friends family but he says they do let people go for a small day fee. My son says he has never been anywhere that he sees as many big bucks as he does there.They dont want any does shoot most of the time though. I will get more info on that place too. Might be a good thing for some of yall or a small group of us to try. Of coarse the corp has great hog hunting up near Clayborn and its all bow only and free, just have to get a day permit i believe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©