INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: nightmares  (Read 1764 times)

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
nightmares
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Anybody else have bad dreams last night about that buck you almost had figured out taken it in the shorts by a bullet?

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nightmares
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Sadly this morning I recieved word and witnessed the aftermath of the orange army- they shot the monster I was after, a 17 point split brow gnarly buck that I had seen up close once and had no shot the other times at a distance- I could just freakin cry. They also killed another that I had passed on several times a 20 inch wide main frame 8 with a little kicker on the right g2 and an inverted left brow tine, he would have been great next year. I know that there are a few others that are nice left out there as long as they can avoid the bullets I may still have a chance- I shouldn't let it bother me but I've been tore up about it all day, I hunt and that's what I do and hard and learn the woods and the preparation and respect and effort all gets pissed away by a guy with a gun and no knowledge of the woods in 5 minutes- I'm moving to Iowa, screw it.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
I hear ya I was workin on a 12 pointer main frame 10 with split G2's. Had him behind me at 4 yards once and couldn't move, by the time I was in position the only shot was a texas heart shot and wasn't gonna do that. As far as I know he made it thru the first day of rifle.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Damm Todd that sucks. It drives me nuts that the orange army gets the best week of the year to hunt. Sorry for your lose. Dave I hope yours makes it through. Didn't have much luck chasing bunnies. On;y saw 4 but I did connect on a squirrel.

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Eric, Lex told me about it on another site. Kinda fun chasing them other critters without the worry of spooking a deer. Oh and I told her to outshoot the old man!

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
That's funny. I am sure she will. She did fairly well shoting at a stump. Yes it is. It's becoming a tradition. The last 3-4 years during rifle season we go out to my uncles farm and walk his grove. Usually see tons of rabbits and squirrels and a pheasant once in a awhile. A little warm this year. Have to wait for some snow and then go back.

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
Sounds like a good time.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Look on the brite side, alot of crop still out there and alot of critters we haven,t seen yet. Theres hope for alot of late season hunting.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Good point Dan. I hope alot of them found shelter in the fields this week.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I'm with Dan.  I think the post-rifle season week or two could still be pretty good, especially in areas where the corn is still in.  Not that you can't hunt corn effectively, but that a lot of guys just use that as a ready-made excuse and throw up their hands and give up.  I've never understood guys that complain about having only nine days to hunt and then spend all that time driving around and watching Husker football.  Or sit on their stand until 9 a.m. and then go have breakfast.  If I were a rifleman, I'd be on stand all day for as many days as I could fit in.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
You got that right, I have been hearing there is to much corn standing to do any good, I just agree with them and tell them to go to the NGPC and try to get rifle season backed up into DEC. where it should be. The corn would be mostly out by then, RIGHT. All I know is I took off a couple days just before rifle to try to sneak up on a whitetail doe and got within bow range of several nice whitetail bucks It wasn,t hard, there nose was plastered to the ground trailing and they didn,t care about me at all. The does sure did though.

Offline Maze

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I saw one of the guys who rifle hunted my spot today. I wanted to ask him how they did, but I dont think I want to know.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Hey you fellers from the eastern tier of this great state I,m alittle disappointed in you guys. I know you guys can shoot cause I came back there for the great time at Fremount, but on my news channel they showed a pic of the big buck that was shot by a young fellow from Texas, he said he showed up and just started asking permission, recieved the access and shot a 38 point buck. I,m losing faith in you guys, What a deer.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
I had the bad news that 5 nice bucks were taken off my little 30-40 acre spot! Oh yeah and a really cool non typical about 5 yr old also.
 I suppose I should not be real upset as I am a two weapon hunter also.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Dan, when I had my first teaching job in Stella, I used to hunt literally 3-4 mi. from where that huge NT was shot.  Some neat country, totally different from what I hunt now.  I'll bet access to that land just got a LOT tougher from here on out.  

Went out last night and saw a nice 130ish buck I passed up a couple times before rifle, although now he's a 110ish buck with point or two missing.  Still glad to see he's still with us.  Best of all, I saw no sign of any trespassing during the past nine days and all my cameras were still up.  I hope the word has got around that you trespass on this property, there WILL be consequences.

Anxious for the extended weekend to come.  Good luck to those still hunting.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Dan I thought I read he was hunting with a friend who had permission to hunt the land. Either way a real nice buck. I would probably have pee'd my pants and shot 2 miles over his back if I saw him. Have never seen anything close to that big out hunting.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Yes sir I would be the same. I know the corn saved some deer. I was headed out to see some customers yesterday, 9:30am couple of miles down the road, in a little pocket stood a doe then I saw another deer with its head down, had to be a buck so I whipped around for another look and Holy Cow what a whitetail, the thing was a giant. Thats the second big deer since the rifle season closed That Ive seen. I,m still huntin a whitetail doe, but that one might make me consider buying another bow tag.

Offline Maze

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Yesterday morning was the first time I saw my hunting ground since gun season. I was relieved when I saw most of the corn was still in. I did manage to see a dink and a 2 yr old still running around. Hopefully the big one I saw 2 days before gun season is still around too. I need to invest in a trail cam.

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Finally went out after rifle season the other day and saw quite a few deer but there patterns have sure changed. Now for a weird one, I had left one ladderstand in there thru the rifle season and someone moved it about 30 yards! At least they didn't steal it or cut the legs halfway like what happened last year on another property.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
anyone seeing anything. i have been out the last 3 weekends and have not seen a single deer. hope someone else is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©