INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Year's Hunt...  (Read 893 times)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
New Year's Hunt...
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
So, down at ARROW we kicked around the idea of another hunt, since those of us who still have to drudge through the working years of life had to return to the grind after a wet weekend.  The retired guys got to stay on for a while, but not the rest of us...
Anyway, the came up of a hunt around New Year'sish in a centrally located area, say Gulf Mountain.  It looks pretty good to me.  Wondering who all would be interested.  I could probably break away from all the holidaze related stupid human tricks the day after xmas or so and stay through New Year.
Silence is golden.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Year's Hunt...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Hate I missed being there this year. The date mentioned is smack dab in the middle of duck season for me (and ArkyBob.) After Jan 25 might be doable. Is there a holiday weekend after that while season is still on? Presidents Day Feb16?
Romans 8:28

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
By all means, please shoot ducks.  We missed the duck poppers.

I have a three day weekend in January and another in February.  One of those could work.  It's not iron clad that it will, but it could.  The 14th-16th of each month (and I might could tack on a Friday too).
Silence is golden.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
I'm in.  Doesn't matter when, whatever works for the others.  

I stayed so long at the lake , when I got back home my dogs didn't know who I was.

No luck with the bow but I did connect with the hawkins.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Does Gulf Mountain take a permit and a sweet 16 or is the permit just for firearm?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
I don't recall offhand if it takes a Sweet Sixteen, but if it does that is a quick three minute print off from AGFC.  I believe it's good to go for archery.
Silence is golden.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by sweeney3:
I don't recall offhand if it takes a Sweet Sixteen, but if it does that is a quick three minute print off from AGFC.  I believe it's good to go for archery.
Thank you, yup did some more research, the Permits are for fire arms and a sweet 16 is needed for everyone.
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Anyone getting the urge to give it a go?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friends call me Pac:
Anyone getting the urge to give it a go?
Through my back out 2 weeks ago. Getting it fixed and will be good as new in 2 - 3 weeks so a first of the year hunt is out for me. Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas members are trying to put a hunt together for the end of January at Gulf Mt this would work for me if any one is up for that time frame. I plan on at least 5 days.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
If anybody is up for a public land combination hog/deer hunt in Feb. I have found a place. Good campsite on Millwood Lake, mostly getting to hunting area by boat. I've been scouting it out some and seems to be a good population of hogs. Would be hunting out of White Cliffs campground.
bolong

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Sounds interesting Bo. I'd like to get down there and get on some hogs. You thinking about a specific weekend ?
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
Any time would work for me Bob. Early part of the month would probably be best though temperature wise.

Any time will work for me Bob although sometime in the first half of the month might be better temperature wise.
Hope you're having a good duck season, pretty bad around here so far.
bolong

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Early to mid February sounds good to me, too. Yep, duck season has been SLOW on Millwood. Bo, we should try and get together. I obviously didn't go today but need to get out this week.

Bob and I are pretty good for midweek hunts, too (Mon-Tue or Wed-Fri)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Bo I am in.  

In the meantime if you will give me a heads up the next time you plan to go I'll drive down and meet you if you will let me know where.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I can go anytime so ya'll can try to set a date. I'm pretty sure Pac is pretty flexible also. Pac just give me a call if you want to come before then. I'm gonna be in Stuttgart this weekend but other than that I don't have anything going  on other than hunting something every day.                                               Bruce I haven't hunted Millwood this year. I've been fortunate to be able to hunt a pretty good private land place. I would be up for it though before the season goes out.
bolong

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
OK, Bo. May holler at you next week. The birds started coming in today with the front at 10AM. Gonna be a COLD one tomorrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©