INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: So... (ARROW 2014) *edited*  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So... (ARROW 2014) *edited*
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
My discount is for a military duty related disability.  Just being a vet doesn't get the discount.  Got to apply at COE to get it.  

The other discount is for over the age of 65 I believe.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Well pooh... Okie dook.
Silence is golden.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 11:13:00 PM »
Pac I got room ,I can bring my horse trailer,no poop in back if any one wants to stay in it,the front end can sleep 3,has air and a heat pump..I will try and hunt up hwy270...the back end can sleep 2 or more...

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
A few questions for a first timer.

So i assume we are staying at crystal springs camp ground. I noticed that the camp ground is a first come first serve for the camp sites. Is this normal?

Is this a guys only camp? My wife would like to come, she does not hunt but loves to fish and will spend most of the time on the bank of the lake.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
It would certainly be fine with me.

The first come first serve thing hasn't been a problem in the past.  The times I've gone there haven't been that many other folks in the campground total.
Silence is golden.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Rick, I can't imagine there would be any problem with any of the ARROW gang if your wife was there. They are a great group of guys. Look forward to meeting you there.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
I know she would be welcome.  There is more to ARROW than just hunting.  We generally have a nice fire each night and visit. We are even known to have a group supper from time to time like duck poppers, crappie filets and maybe something new this year if you guys are brave enough.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
My October drill just got changed to 3-5 October, but so long as we are still planning on the 2nd weekend it won't matter.
Silence is golden.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
How long does 'possum stay good on the side of the road before it goes bad?  Need to know fairly quick.  Have to keep shooooing the buzzards away!
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
About three seconds.  More shooes than that and it's a give away.
Silence is golden.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Depends on how hungry you are   :campfire:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Getting serious about the trip now.  Went grocery shopping last night and found pasta and rice side dish pouches on sale.  10 for $10.  I bought a week's worth.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
I'm finalizing dates now, im thinking i will be there from the 8th to the 15th. Not set in stone yet and still up for change but its what im hoping for.
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
Just as a heads up for any new folks that are coming I will be in my truck with slide in camper.  

USAF Retired '85-'05

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I plan to get there on 8 Oct.   wtpops is arriving the same day and I will be showing him around.  If anyone wants to show up a little early just look for us.  

I do plan to stay for a week of muzzle loader season.  I will stay until I get a deer with my Hawkins or 19 Oct, whichever comes first.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Been out climbing trees and practicing from my climber. Will be out twice a week starting next month. Need the practice as i have never hunted from a tree stand before but the one time in Oklahoma on a pig hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
If you are more comfortable hunting from the ground it is easily done at the lake. Arky 714 hunts solely on the ground and I believe Sweenie does too.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friends call me Pac:
If you are more comfortable hunting from the ground it is easily done at the lake. Arky 714 hunts solely on the ground and I believe Sweenie does too.
Im up for both. If i find a good spot that has no suitable tree the ground it is, if there is a good tree then up i go.      :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
YOU will like a ground blind I use throw together blinds and commerical blinds done better with the home made blinds they blend in better ,with the enveiorment,excuse the spelling,try to shoot my bows again disks in neck have been giving me h ll ,been in physical therpy,also working out at the gym,for 5 months shot girrley weight bow last nite,first time in a long while 43 lbs..try to find mast on ground..most of the guys hunt perrisomons..a lot of places have never been hunted...may be the rut will start early   usally 3rd weel in oct..when the doe chasing starts around this area''..will meet you at lake Ouachita...just be ready..bring a friend...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
The last two years I have hunted with a bow that I made, the Pac a Whallop. This year I will be hunting with a Bear Kodiak Magnum.  Let me share something about this bow with you.

I guess it was somewhere in the mid 90's and I was stationed at Altus AFB in OK.  I was kicking the idea around about shooting a trad bow.  
Didn't know anything about them except I thought they looked kind of cool.  

My next door neighbor Jessie was a great neighbor for me.  We spent a lot of time hunting and fishing together.  He was a couple years younger but not enough that you would notice or make a difference.  

We hunted and fished together about 5 years but one day he decided to move back home in MO.

To help him get ready I was happy to lend a hand with packing up his household.  It was a job but the two of us were young and strong back then.  Regular bulletproof young guys.  

When we finished loading the last item on the truck Jesse said he had forgotten to load something up and it was still inside.  He went in and came out with this Kodiak Magnum that had belonged to his late Father. He handed it to me and said thanks for being my friend.

Just a few years ago there was a bad tornado in MO.  You may remember it.  Sixteen people died in that storm and my good buddy Jesse was one of them.  

The truck he was in was flipped over and tossed a great distance before smacking back down.  His wife and two boys were dazed but unscratched. Jesse wasn't as lucky.  Jesse was hanging from his seat belt dead.

So this year I got the old Kodiak Magnum down from the rack and made a new string for it.  I've been shooting most afternoons and it feels good. I decided it needs to go hunting so it's coming with me to ARROW 2014.

I hope Jesse is watching and enjoys the hunt with me once again.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©