INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Nov 2010 A.R.R.O.W.  (Read 558 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Nov 2010 A.R.R.O.W.
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Folks I was thinking about Veteren's day weekend for the next hunt.  I know of 2 AF guys that couldn't attend the last event because of working an airshow that weekend.  Plus being a fed holiday most should get a long weekend.  I know that isn't the case for everyone but I'm trying to make this as easy as possible and make this do-able for the majority.

I have looked at the reg book to see when the draw ML & gun hunts are held.  There are a few that will be available for bowhunting only during this timeframe but a firearms hunt will have just gotten over a day or two before our start date.

I suggest another hunt at Ouachita.  Lots of deer, easy access to hunting areas, no gun hunting there yet & camp fees should be winter rates I believe.  

If there is another area that hasn't been gun hunted within a week of our start date put the idea forth to the group.  I know about my local area but don't know much about wmas across the state.

Of course dates and locations are not solely up to me.  Let us hear what you are thinking.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline buckster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nov 2010 A.R.R.O.W.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Sounds good!  I should be able to make it. My cell is 901 619-8377.

Barry
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
It doesnt look I'll be able to make this one unless something happens to our bear hunting plans.  I have a bear hunt with family the weekend of the 13th, I guess thats the openin of deer modern gun as well.  Those bucks at Ouachita should be running good by this hunt.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I have to stay at home to keep the gun hunters from taging one of my quarter horses....It gets pretty bad,,

Offline buckster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
PAC,

I will plan to bring my tracking teckle Chowder if it doesn't bother you?  We can meet at my house in Benton & take off from there if you want?

Hope a few more folks can come along, the more the merrier!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Bring him I don't mind at all.  With a bit of luck we can give Chowder an exersice or two.

Looks like gun season opens on 14 Nov.  Veteren's day is Thursday the 11th and I was thinking of doing the hunt Thurs through Saturday evening.  I know the active duty guys will be getting a 4 day weekend & I am deffinately not working so nothing to stop me from going.  

I imagine I will do like last time.  More than likely I'll get there on monday and hunt the whole week.  

Buckster i will be at Crystal Springs campground for the hunt unless I am physically unable to get there.  Been waiting all year and I'm ready to do some hunting.  After seeing over 30 deer the lsat time I went I've been chomping at the bit to get back out there.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Pac you would be better off.the weekend before there will be gun hunters all over the place there....Don't want to see any conflicts...The weekend before is youth gun season...Will not be that many people out that weekend..

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Looking at my reg book I see modern gun starts 14 Nov.  Youth hunt is Nov 7-8.  I plan to hunt 9-13 Nov.  I don't see where any gun hunters will be hunting during those days.  Am I missing something?  Am I looking at the correct deer zone.  I'm thinking it is zone 11 or 13 from looking at the map.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
You might be ok durning the days of 9 to 13 the 14 and 15 the woods will be covered...they will be setting up camps wed thu and fri if it is like anything around here...you are in unit 11...I would not hesitate to hunt durning the youth hunt...not that much activity,,just wear orange...I might be able to hunt on 9-11...if every thing works out...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Ok I was looking at last years book however there is only a day's difference between the two books as it corolates with my plans.

Youth ML is 16-20 Oct, youth MG is 6-7 Nov, ML is 16- 24 Oct & MG is 13 Nov - 5 Dec.  

I will be hunting 8-12 Nov.  I will be camping at Crystal Springs campground. Camping spots are 1st come 1st served so I can't say we will all be staying next to each other.  I will try to set up in an area that will give us the best chance to keep the group together.

There may be people scouting but should not be hunting with rifles.  That's the same situation I have no matter where I hunt since all of my hunting is on public land. At least there should not be any rifle shooting going on.  I will wrap my hunt up Friday the 12th after the evening hunt.  

If you can make it for any, some or all of those days I'd be happy to hunt with you and chat around camp. I will do my best to point new folks that have not hunted the area to where I have seen deer.  If you can't make it we will try again next time.
USAF Retired '85-'05

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Well looks like I will be unable to hunt 8-13 November.  The VA is trying to help me with my back and shoulder problems and has me scheduled for numerous appoinments.  

Started the 1st treatment today with the physical theropy person.  I feel really good right now but she told me it wouldn't last long. She showed me how to do certain stretches and hooked me up to some kind of electrical shocking device.  

Anyhow I will be pretty busy with the VA and will need to stick close to home so I can make my VA appointments on time.  Sorry folks.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Hi Pac you make the appointments,they really help out,if you will do the stretches they show you every day they will help with the pain,My spine was rebuilt 9 years ago,You do not need to go thru that...3 disks cut  out rods installed,been on oxycodone ,morphine,every painkiller you can think of...messes up your life...God gave me the strength to get off morphine   WAS ON IT FOR PAIN ,2 1/2 years..been clean 54 days...you know I got there with doctors help..And God and my wife were  the only ones that helped me out...So take care of that back you don't need to go down that road ,if the VA will help you out...allways other days to hunt..let me know when you can make it again...

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
If any one is going to hunt let me know I got a lot of work on the farm to catch up on..I can make some half day hunts,Crystal Springs is only 20 from home..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©