INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rain is putting a halt to my hunting  (Read 477 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Rain is putting a halt to my hunting
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
Henry Gray and Wattensaw are both shut down for hunting because of high water.  

Tried Gulf mountain last week for 5 days and never saw a deer from the treestand.  Acorns were non exsistant and deer were not moving.  

Hopefully, the water will go down enough so I can hunt at Wattensaw or Henry Gray soon.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline mattmcdonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain is putting a halt to my hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
your a ways from me but its been slow here also and up untill a few days ago you couldnt even see one during the day they were all over the place at night hopefully they will get back to normal soon

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I know what you mean Pac. All my Places are closed too. I guess ill just have to kill a bunch of ducks to make up for it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Got the truck camper loaded up and a 5 day food supply.  Will be heading to hunt around lake ouachita in the mormning.

Never hunted there before but I have seen deer a lot while fishing there.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
I wish you the best of luck and wish I could go with you but the Air Force needs me at work.  My mother is back in UAMS again also. Have fun.

Arthur

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Good luck Pac.  I'm getting geared up for the Youth hunt this weekend.  

**Remember to wear orange this weekend if the area you are hunting in is not archery only.**
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline buckster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Pac,

Give me a call when you get back, we can try to get a hunt going, I'm not far from Quachita!

901 619-8377 is my cell.

Good luck buddy!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Looking forward to a report on your Lake Oachita trip.

Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by uglyjake:
Looking forward to a report on your Lake Oachita trip.

Arthur
Never hunted there before so I had to start from scratch.  Found some scrapes Monday afternoon and set up the stand.  Had 4 does and a legal buck come by just before dark but they were out of range.

Tues morning I had a small buck come within 40 yards but he fed away from me never offering a shot. That evening a doe came within 15 yards but was directly behind my right shoulder.  I tried to twist around enough for a shot but my safety harness wouldn't allow me to turn around far enough for a shot.

I was waiting for her to take a few more steps so I could shoot when she suddenly took off like she was scared.  The wind was blowing from her to me so i knew she didn't smell me and she sure didn't see me.  A couple of minutes went by and here came a coyote on her trail.

I was going to shoot the coyote but it somehow knew something was up and took off at about 40 yards.

Weds I never saw a deer.

Thurs evening I missed a doe at around 25 yards.  Shot right over her.

Friday morning I saw 2 racoons and another coyote.  No shot.  Packed up and headed home at lunchtime.

Friday I leave for my trad hunter get together at Gulf Mt.  So far it looks like it will only be me and two fellows from MO.  If anyone would like to camp and hunt with us you are more than welcome to share our hunt.  

I'll arrive at GM Friday 13 Nov to set up my camp at the camping area behind the wma manager's house.  I'll be there until the afternoon of 22 Nov.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
Id like to join you, but i burned all my vacation during turkey season. And the water has finally went down enough that i can hunt here around the house. I went for a couple hours this afternoon. The mosquitos were BAD, but i did see a buck chasing a doe. My little brother took his first deer with a bow today. A nice 15" 7 point he  was using his training wheels but he did do it from the ground without a blind. i couldnt be happier for him.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©