INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2013 WTA Members "Success" stories and pictures  (Read 1876 times)

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 WTA Members "Success" stories and pictures
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Congrats Rainer. Nov 4th was one of those grey windy mornings that our family group likes to say, "it sure is bucky out today". I had been concentrating the last week on a particular area that had provided me a lot of chase action but they always seemed to be out of reach but I was ready to go look somewhere else for the rut. As my brother would say, "yep you had too many deer in that spot time for you to move." Guess I do get a little ansy. You know sometimes it's good just to see new things.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I've tried this year to hunt on the ground about 25% of the time. I really enjoy it because you get to go to all those great spots where a tree just isn't in the right location. My avatar shows my first trad deer taken in 2008 on the ground and I don't think I was ever so excited. So this beautiful grey morning I picked up my Huntmore and headed east. Two times on that trek in the dark I nearly stopped and setup because of existing scraps that had been hit or just a high spot that would allow for a better view in a chair. Now a high spot in our central Wisconsin sand country is about 10 ft. But again I decided to push on to an area a quarter mile further where I had an encounter with two large bucks one which I hit and lost. It's taken about 3 years to get that incident out of my head and get back to this oak flat pinched between two rutting marshes.  Approaching the area I saw a fallen tree that might serve as a site to place the chair. No previous scouting for the chair location chair location but it looked OK in the early light.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
I had barely settled into my swivel chair when the first unidentifiable dark body eased through the narrows of the marsh in front of me at 35 yds. Soon after he moved through I adjusted my seat back a foot and spooked a couple more deer that had somehow appeared in front of me. Sometimes they just pop up like mushrooms except in this instance they made sure that I knew they saw me. I figured it would be awhile until I would see the next deer so I settled in with a SE wind in my face perfect for the location I chose. An hour later a nice buck with curled horns came from the area where my brother was in a tree a couple hundred yards to the south. He eased off the oak island and crossed through the narrow marsh with nose down heading on an angle away. I was satisfied with my morning so far as the sandhills called overhead. It was one of those perfect rutting mornings and I was enjoying the comfort of my chair in a spot where my excitement level was as high as its been all week.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
It was 10 minutes later and my eyes were still fixed to the narrow marsh to my right(west) with the SE wind narrowly preventing my scent from entering where the previous buck had just gone. Without warning and exactly where I happened to be looking a buck came loping from the west with high horns. My mind raced as negative thoughts began to creep as he trotted in front of my location and I was swinging my Northern Mist nearly parallel to the ground from the left side of the above picture to the right. Was I really going to release on a quickly moving deer? I have failed at that game before. My nearly parallel shooting style that I often practice and am most comfortable with was the only way to clear the log that my knee was pressed against. For what ever reason, and I can only conclude that he saw me swing, he stopped broadside but looking at me. I had to bend over at the waist with my head probably only a foot off the log to get off a shot through an opening in brush that I had not noticed earlier. Not a good thing when shooting from a sitting position on the ground. My ash arrow fletched with wild turkey feathers hit about 6" behind the shoulder and a bit high with half the arrow still visible but blood immediatly appearing at the wound as he ran to the north and out of sight. Immediate thoughts for me often are often the best barometer and I was feeling OK with the shot even though high shots have not been good for me in the past. The half way penetration was giving me pause that maybe I was in the meat of no mans land. I waited for my heartbeat to return.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
WoooHooo Bruce, it's even better than the first telling.
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
After a half hour I looked for first blood and surprisingly it was only 5 yds away. I felt much better.

I went back to my seat pulled out my breakfast and decided to enjoy the next 45 minutes. Sometimes these are the only times to truely enjoy the experience if the trail comes up empty later on. We've all been there.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
The first 50 yds was steady and I felt good the next 30 yds the blood was very small spots and the negative thoughts began to reappear. I texted my brother and he was coming to help as he was also reminding me to slow down. All I had was time.
Then I found this sprayed for about 18" 3 ft up this maple.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
My brother joined in and 75yds further I looked ahead as Brian was in front on the blood trail. Is that a body????  I moved ahead and then saw a basketball size blood spot on a tree then.................. He was a big bodied long beautiful buck. My first whitetail buck.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Beautiful, Congrats again.  He sure is a monster.
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
200 lb dressed a giant for our sand country area. He died nearly directly below my older brothers treestand who died two years earlier. Time to reflect and be thankful for our time in the woods and sometimes there is a happy ending!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
My sister in law, Alys, shot an 8 the evening before just to show you a comparison between the two.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »
Good for you Bruce!!! It sure is hard to beat the satisfaction of shooting a deer from the ground, and a whopper on top of it. COGRATULATIONS!!!!
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Nice going Bruce! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Looks like that buck was worth the wait.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Beautiful deer.  Great job on that one.  

ChuckC

Offline Roger Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Nice!!!
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
 www.Tradwoodsman.com  What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Outstanding Bruce!
That is a great buck for a first buck or anything thereafter
Love the story !
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
congrats!  :notworthy:

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Heck of a deer Bruce!

Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Outstanding, Bruce, congratulations!!  Way to christen that NM.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©