INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Crossbow bill AB 194  (Read 364 times)

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
Crossbow bill AB 194
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
I just saw that there has been a crossbow bill introduced. It is AB194.   https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2013/related/proposals/ab194

From what I understand a bill to include full inclusion was introduced but withdrawn after protests from Sen Kedzie and others. That author then wrote the current one (AB194) which has the blessing of all the parties that had been working on the crossbow season issue. This is written as a separate season although it runs concurrent with the archery season. There is a hearing set for it next Wed. (5/22) I am told the hearing is a formality and this bill should pass without any problem. If you are interested in attending this hearing go the legislative site and look under the bill number for the hearing location and time.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crossbow bill AB 194
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
What is the WTA's position on this bill?  I thought they were working on the issue too?

A crossbow deer season that runs the same as archery season, using the same tag but a different license with no other restrictions is not full inclusion?  I don’t get that.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
We oppose the expanded use of the crossbow in the archery season. I sent a letter to Sen Kedzie. I guess it didn't change his mind.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Sherwood Forest

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
"If the department establishes an open season for hunting deer, elk, small game, wild turkey, or bear with a bow and arrow but not with a firearm, the department shall also open that season for hunting with a crossbow."

Call what they want, but it sure sounds like full inclusion to me.  Very sad day for Wisconsin's bowhunting history.  

In my opinion, there will come a day when we look back at this bill and realize it was the beginning of the end for the liberal seasons we currently enjoy.  

No, we won't likely lose them immediately, at least in most units. But there will no doubt come a time when the deer kill needs to be curtailed to maintain herd numbers.  Real bowhunters are going to lose out on season length and tag numbers right along with the rest of them.

Am I selfish for wanting to keep what bowhunters have enjoyed for generations?  Yep.  

The spirit and history of bowhunting has always been filled with those who are looking for a more challenging way to hunt.  The reward for making things more difficult is the extended seasons we have always enjoyed.  Now we are proposing to extend all of those rewards to those looking for the easiest and quickest way to kill a deer.  

I am personally very sad to see this day come.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Whip I agree with you 100%.  Turns out the WTA was right to oppose the lesser weapons bill which we were told was supposed to end the controversy.  It was a foot in the door and didn't do anything when it got passed last year.  Enjoy it while it last guys, because I expect the muzzleloaders will be next inline (no pun) for their own early season.

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
How did something that was voted down 5 or 6 times get passed is beyond me...has to be revolving around the almighty dollar!
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Hasn't passed yet. I testified yesterday fot WTA and Whip represented himself. The coalition that they had among various groups fell to get the bill this far fell apart with SCI and WBH backing away unless language changed tying the archery and crossbow seasons together changed. The current bill would not allow changes to the season length without also changing the achery season. This was an unbelievable that the committee tried to slip this by. Hopefully 'Kedzie's Senate Committee will hold it up until changes are made. WTA opposes it all and we were the only group to take the hard line stance but we are destined not to be satisfied.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Thank you for standing up!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Yes thank you very much to all able to attend this meeting.

This is why I love WTA- WTA opposes it all and we were the only group to take the hard line stance but we are destined not to be satisfied.

Very well said. Got my Stumpshooter toaday and cant wait to read it!
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
I really should check more carefully when I attempt to type on this phone.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Don't worry about the typing Bruce. Thanks to you and Joe for taking the time to testify at the hearing. That bill went from bad to worst.
Sherwood Forest

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
It's all but done. No compromise as I see it. Concurrent season tied to ours.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
AB 194 goes to the full assembly this Thu. and will likely pass. This has the language making the crossbow season concurrent with the archery season preventing shortening their season without also shortening ours.

I saw today that there also is a senate bill on the issue, SB185 which I failed to notice before. This does not have the concurrent language potentially allowing the season to be judged on its own merit. I called Kedsie's office this morning and they said a hearing has not yet been scheduled in front of his Natural Resource Committee. Whether one will be scheduled they do not know.
What we do know that both house have to pass the Assembly bill for that to go to the governors desk.
Hopefully SB185 provides us another opportunity for input but that is up to Kedsie though it is not his bill. WTA is opposed to any bill having the possibility of negatively impacting the archery season either by fouling the herd structure or shortening our season but SB185 is the better of these two negative results.

Offline PopPunkRocker15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
So any update on this?

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
It passed the assembly last week I think 95 - 0. It won't get to the senate till the fall session.
Sherwood Forest

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©