INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hunting From The Ground  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Iowa hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting From The Ground
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
Bayoulongbowman,
If he (buck) was that big and only in the 10th grade, he must have flunked a few grades !

:)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »
Go back and read    :)    I was in the 10th...grade the deer was in the 8th..lol    :knothead:        :banghead:        :D        :D        :D ....8th grade on each side!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline rocdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »
I climbed down out of the trees 3 years ago (after having back surgery) and have taken deer every season since from the ground.  This year is the first year I have used a pop-up blind and for certain set-ups they are great!  So far this year I have killed a turkey (pop-up), a nice doe (brush blind) and a fork horn (brush blind).  

For those of you concerned about your ability to conceal your movement and/or scent well enough from the groun, the pop-up blinds might be a good way to transition from tree to ground.  My pop-up is one of the Eastman Carbon Ventures, which has the carbon lining in it (not really sure about all that carbon stuff yet?), and I have had deer within 10 yards of me, DOWN WIND, and remained undetected.

I think my favorite ground set-up is still my tree seat and a roll of camo-colored burlap to fill in any gaps in my natural blind, but if I have scouted an area and found where I want to hunt one place for a couple of days I will definitely use my pop-up blind......really good for those 'all day' vigiles.  Eastman makes a Venture Magnum that is big enough to lay down and take a nap in     :D
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Offline BowFire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
hey i'm new to the whole trad thing, this being my first season and all. but, i've already filled 2 tags, one buck n one doe, from the ground without blinds either time. i'm hoping this'll start a longggg trend for me!!!

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »
Man I have hunted from the ground almost my entire life of a bowhunter. The biggest thing is to take yourself out their sight what I mean is being part of the area, dead fallen trees sunken spots to get you a little lower just be creative. you need to blend in with and not stick out, if you feel like you stick out then you do pick spots where you feel comfortable if a deer walks up 5 yards away from you cause it does happen. I don't like pop ups because I've had to many deer spook,they have to be brushed in big time.SIT STILL IS BIG don't move but your head if you can help it.I've killed alot of critters with my bow from the ground mainly turkeys and deer without the pop up blinds and will continue to do so. Pop ups also cost alot of money for the good ones. go for the ground but go slow and learn.  Oh yeah one more thing, smell like the woods you hunt wether it be pines, hardwoods  or swamp just blend in and be a part of your surrondings.  Good huntin. Jason B.

Offline mich-mtnman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
i havent hunted out of a tree in over 8 years.

i take at least 2 deer per year off the ground. i cant honestly say that i 'stalk' tho.... but i do try to stalk out to my hunting spot.
 what i do is try to find some decent cover close to lots of deer 'activity' , well used deer trail , natural funnel , food plot , scrape line etc.
 then i clear a small area on the ground so i dont make any noise and either set a small folding chair up or a milk crate and i patiently sit. not realy rocket science but i sit all day usualy , normaly i pack a snack and water and a flashlight , and a drag strap , and wait them out.
 i guess one would call it ambush style hunting but if you wait there long enough the deer that made all the sign there for you to be there in the first place will be along some time or another.
 works well for me.but try to play the wind and hopefully if i get off my duff i will make a torges seat to try out!
 good luck....by the way watch the wind. i had a small buck wind me yesterday.happens alot on the ground , but not enough to get me back into the trees!
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Offline Iowa hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
Boyou,
You're right, I misread. Didn't mean anything negative, was trying to fun ya! My mistake.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »
Trooper,
 I hunt exclusively from the ground on publc land. I have never hunted from a tree. Can't afford a stand. Up until about 4 years ago I would be able to say yes I do consistently take 2 deer a season ground hunting. The only reason that that has changed is because I finally started a family of my own. Do I kill big bucks? No mostly young bucks and does.  I have posted on this subject in an earlier thread. Feel free to PM me for more detail. Good luck.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »
I've been hunting on the ground for about 25 years now. Early on I bought in to the need to be up in a tree...didn't care for it much as it is to limmiting. I kill anywhere from 2 to 5 deer each year on the ground depending on how fired up I am about hunting that year. This year is my first with a longbow (was a single cam shooter)so I'm still looking, but I've had 23 deer under 20 yards and about 5 less than 10 yards away. Missed two and the others just didn't feel right with the longbow so I didn't shoot. It has been a long time since I've shot a deer past about 10 feet away with anything!

What do I do special? It's easier to tell you what I don't do. I would say for the last 10 years I don't do any of the following:

Don't use a blind
Don't use scent free soap
Don't use cover scent
Don't use UV killer
Don't use scent lok this or that
Don't worry about wearing camo
Don't do the things other hunters do

The last one probably helps and the others don't matter if you setup right. If I can hunt with the wind I do, if no and the deer are there I hunt anyhow. After watching deer and using smoke to figure out the wind I think people put to much effort on into this one. If you want to kill deer you have to be where they are. I've killed a pile of deer places people wouldn't hunt bacause the wind was never right. I try to blend in to the background and setup where I can move to take a shot should a deer show up somewhere I didn't expect. I try to have something breaking up my outline such as a bush, tree, evergreen, weeds ect. My last deer was shot at 3 feet. It works for me and make hunting more fun. I like to hunt really thick cover so many times the deer can't see me until it is to late. The down side is many times I don't see them until they are in my lap. When you get wrapped up in preping for a hunt it can be a lot of effort and take some of the fun out of it. It is nice to be able to just grab your bow and walk out the door. Get to your hunting spot, pick a place you know has deer and stand there and know a deer is going to walk by any time. I take coffee or a hot drink of some kind when it's cold and if I feel like smoking I do. I've had to drop a smoke on the ground to draw my bow back many, many times. The key is spending time in the woods and setting in the right spot. Nothing else matters as far as I can tell.

When people don't see deer they start to believe deer seen them, smelled them, or blame a million other things. My guess is 99 time out of 100 the only mistake they made was just not being in the right place.

Want to learn how to setup in the best spot fast? Hunt the smallest public land you have available with the most hunters per square inch durring gun season! Stay there all day if possible. You'll hear folks shooting. After season or when everyone else leave go find out why they seen deer and you didn't or why they got to shoot first. You'll quickly learn what to look for when setting up. Then refine you setups so your first deer every year gets shot before 8:00 am. Then try to set up so you can shoot a deer at 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, etc. When you can pick you time you know you learned the system and the deers habits. Now when you hunt an area where the wind really does matter or you fine a great bedding you can setup away from it in the right place and know you'll be successful. If you second guess yourself you'll never set still and let success happen. Bottom line is enjoy yourself.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2005, 08:29:00 AM »
Hey Darke,
  Wow!  Now that's the kind of reply I wanted from you. I don't worry about cover scent either and I'm moving towards not wearing camo but going back to plain plaid shirts.  I moved from a recurve to a modern longbow last year and I love it.  But I find myself now playing with a real longbow and wooden arrows and coming out of the trees and wanting to try it from the ground.  Your response and the response from the others has really got me fired up to try it from the ground.  Thanks!!!!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Online RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »
When people don't see deer they start to believe deer seen them, smelled them, or blame a million other things. My guess is 99 time out of 100 the only mistake they made was just not being in the right place.  
Man I think there is a lot of truth to this!  :thumbsup:

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »
My biggest problem with sitting still is in trying to rattle, use the grunt call, or scan the area with binoculars, without moving much.  Especially rattling - seems impossible without fast and obvious movement.

How do you guys deal with that?  I've been meaning to make a blind out of some poles and burlap. Is hiding behind that the only solution?  How do you rattle if you are in plain site, but just brushed in a little against an old fencerow (seems like a great place where I hunt), or if sitting on a stool in high grass (the best sign I've seen all year is in such an area).

Great thread!  I've learned a ton from all these discussions about ground hunting.

Thanks!
BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
What RoyMO said!!

I've always just considered myself a lousy deer hunter but most of the time I really think its lousy deer land at that time. I can't find them because they ain't there when I'm there. My problem is that I lose faith in an area when it is just a matter of timing.

I like ground hunting because if I'm not seeing anything I would rather be moving around not seeing anything.

Online RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
I think one of the most important things is..now understand I am nowhere close to an expert on this..But, if I am not comfortable there is no way I can be still. If you butt hurts, your back hurts, your leg is cramped or whatever pain you may have there is just no way you can sit still. If you are relaxed to the point that you can fall asleep then you can remain motionless    :D        :D    . Of course you then have to stay awake an alert    :knothead:

In this regard the "Torges" tree seat is without a doubt the best I have found, but man my rear end starts to hurt after a little while.

Offline Dave Thein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2005, 10:23:00 AM »
I'm new to this board.  I've been trad bowhunting for the past 5 years so I'm still kind of a greenhorn and always wanting to learn more.  This is one of the most informative threads I've read.  Thank you.
"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up to it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©