INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hunting From The Ground  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting From The Ground
« on: November 02, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »
Is there anyone out there that bowhunts from the ground only but consistantly kills 2 or more deer a year?  If so, what's your method?
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting From The Ground
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 08:09:00 AM »
Yes. This has come up quite a bit and I'm sure if you browse the post you'll find lots of answers.

Offline Hutch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
I only hunt from the ground ,but I let alot of deer walk, and others I just plain miss.

Hutch
"Who STOLE the Little Delta Bows life??? terry green."

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »
DarkeGreen,
  You're right, this has come up quite a bit and I've read most of them but most I've read gives me the impression that although they enjoy hunting off the ground, I've not read where any claim to have been consistantly successful in putting meat in the freezer this way.  Since I've posted this I only had one PM from a trad bowhunter who has been successful hunting off the ground. I was leaning towards hunting off the ground but it appears that although this may be the most enjoyable way to hunt it is probably not too productive. Murray

Offline Al Snow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
Murray, I would think the success rate would go way up if using a pop-up blind.  I'm hoping Santa Claus brings me one.

I've only sat in a pop-up one time, a friend of mine's, and I had turkeys and crows walking around 15 feet in front of the blind.  I could have nailed a big gobbler, I think, but it wasn't turkey season.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
Trooper,

If you will put some thought and time into making a good ground blind, you will be successful.  Down here in Texas, or West Texas, I should say, we don't have the luxury of big trees to put stands in, so a lot of our hunting is done from the ground.

A few years ago I was on a lease that we were not allowed to use feeders so we did a lot of water hole hunting using ground blinds.  In two years I killed 2 bucks, 2 does, 4 turkeys and umpteen javelina from a ground blind.

So, to answer your question, a ground blind is just as effective as any other method.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
I hunted this morning from a treestand, and noticed when I came down around 9:30 (it got really windy) that I could see a lot better on the ground than I could while I was in the tree. Our leaves haven't fallen much yet, been too hot and dry. Didn't see anything, BTW, but heard one blowing at me from downwind about 8 am. I have taken one deer from the ground, missed a couple of others. I think if a guy focused on this he could learn to do it pretty effectively. So many places I hunt, seems like where I really want to be there's no suitable tree to climb.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
Let me assure you that hunting from the ground can be every bit as effective as being in a tree.

Up until 10 years ago or so, I'd killed about half of my deer from the ground. I went to trees to try to better my lot on bigger bucks.

In a tree you have better visibility (usually but not always)

In a tree your wind might blow over a deer crossing close by downwind... that won't happen on the ground.

On the ground your movements are more easilly detected than in a tree. You just have to be more careful.

Other than those things, the only difference between a good tree stand location and a good ground blind/stand is about 12 feet.   :thumbsup:

Use your head and hunt confidently... it's all good.     :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
and rub a little cork on your face... it'll help a bunch.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »
I just returned from Wyoming...spot and stalked a mule deer in its bed and shot it sleeping at 22 yards.

Here in GA I've killed four deer in their beds in a lot of years of hunting...mostly because while scouting during the season I found some hot sign, stalked it the first time I a good breeze blowing and got lucky and scored.Its much too thick and too noisy here to do it consistently for big deer...and thats what I like to hunt.

I hunt hogs all the time on the ground and kill them consistently.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Iowa hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
Trooper,
I have health and balance problems, so for the last 4 years or so I've hunted from the ground. I use a stool and set by a tree in the weeds or brush. I've been  successful each year. (just took a nice 8 pt yesterday.!)
Only difference is you have to play the wind more, and it's harder to get off a shot. I find it's MUCH ,MUCH easier to move my buckett, then move my ladder stands, or put up a tree stand.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
Both have their advantages.  I've seen some locals where the only way to hunt was in a tree or get busted.....and some locals are best suited for being on the ground.

Two of my biggest bow buck encounters I was set up on the ground with no real blind.  One I just stepped into a little grove of palmettos with a basketball sized tree to lean on (Charlie's seen it)...and the other was a beach ball sized tree with an old snag of a dead limb spread out around the base.
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline StanM

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
Tooper,

I think the number one reason that people get busted more on the ground than in a tree is that we move too much and too quickly when ground hunting.  That is if you are still hunting and not in a ground blind/stand.  A close second would be not playing the wind as we should.  I hunted from the ground exclusively for about 20 years before I went to the trees.  I shot at least one deer every year except one, and took two deer on the years I was fortunate enough to draw a doe tag.  Like Charlie I went up in hopes of arrowing bigger bucks, but so far that hasn't happened.

I enjoy still hunting and stalking for the blacktails that I hunt and have learned to slow down considerably from when I was a kid, BUT even going as slow as two steps a minute (about 100 yards an hour) still-hunting I find that I get busted as often as not.

Where I hunt it is not terribly hard to ground hunt a doe or young buck, but nice bucks are very hard to come by on the ground.

The exception would be during the late season when the rut is on.  Deer will respond to rattling and bleating and then being on the ground can be an advantage as you are more mobile in your setup.

My hat's truly off to those folks that can consistently take big bucks off of the ground.  They are better hunters than I am.

Stan

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
I don't do a whole lot of it,but have killed some critter while hunting from the ground(talking about deer).Joe Skipp is about the best "ground hunter" I know.That's the only way he hunt's,and is very good at at.I'm sure he'll be along soon.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm learnin' the ground hunting and love it. I do not use pop-up type blinds preferring a simple netting and stick poles with some natural foliage mixed in. If you know how to hunt turkeys, hunt the deer the same way. When moving your head, move it slowly.

A couple of my own observations in my ground stand efforts: You can get away with a little noise in the leaves and such, and if you miss a shot it can be tough trying to find your arrow. Unlike shooting from an elevated perch, your fletchings are not likely going to be sticking up and easily visible. I am changing mine out to all white just for this reason.

Good luck, I gleaned alot of info from the more experienced ground stand hunters here.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
The biggest whitetail I ever saw, I was in the 10th grade...I was on the ground, maybe 10yds or closer...I was leaning against big pin oak tree ,, catching some zzzzzzz lol...when all of sudden what sounded like horse coming in startled me , 16points moving his hoofs, I like to pis*** in my pants...neck look like Hershal Walker ...Im 50 and I still remember that like it was yesterday...it was 10 min from my house along the Amite River, there is big hospital near there now...I love ground blind hunting...    :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline R.L.Boone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
I had two deer within 15 yards of me in the last two weeks missed both of them but that had nothing to do with hunting from the ground.The buck I got the shot at was looking straight at me and I wasn,t even hid and no camo on my face. I've shot several deer from the ground within bow range with a gun.[One of them being a very nice 8 point]The main thing as others have said, you've got to watch the wind.I hunt with my bow only from the ground just because it's more injoyable for me.

Offline Family Tradition

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »
Well I have never hunted from a stand, but being out west thats not a surprise.

In CA you can kill two bucks a year, some years I get one, some I get skunded this year I got two bucks, one ok and one really nice one.

Since my deer season is over I'm going on a Hog hunt next week and they have tree stands on the property so maybe I'll give it a shot then tell you how it was different for me.

Like the guys said Blinds work great and if still hunting......be still. Move only about 25% of the time and glass when still then move.

Mark

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
Good thread...
I have a pop up blind but haven't used it a couple of times..  Do you leave your blind out?
I hate to leave mine in the woods even it its just overnight.....

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
Hey Guys,
  Thanks for your awesome feedback!!  I also had a PM that was very informative.  I'm fired up now to give it a try.  
    Good Huntin',
         Murray

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©