INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What we know and don't know...collectively!  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What we know and don't know...collectively!
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
Hey John....ever think you could actually pick up some of that paradoxical noodlin' going on with your naked eye?

I may be fooling myself, but sometimes 'I think I can'.  Seriously!    :)  

Er...., so my contributing tip to the pot is to make sure your vision or optical prescrip is up to snuff, or get LASIK so you can see what you might be missing.    :)

Offline John Havard

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 09:21:00 PM »
Ken, amen on the lasik.  Had it done now about a year ago and what a wonderful thing!

Obviously when an arrow is spined incorrectly it will (especially if you shoot unfletched shafts) group either left of right of where you're looking.  So, in addition to simply watching where the fletching goes (and how it spins) whenever possible I begin the process by shooting bare shafts.  If a bare shaft group averages either "left" or "right" then you have a pretty good idea whether it's too strong or too weak.  If it's too weak then (up to a point) you're golden.  Just build out that strike plate until the bare shafts form a group (in my case, a large group) around the point of aim, and then you've adjusted the strike plate outward an appropriate amount.  If your bare shafts are hitting to the left (for a right-hander) then you need to thin down the strike plate.  If you're up against the finish on the sight window (nothing left as a strike plate) and the arrows are still hitting to the left, you either need to get weaker spined shafts or dig out your rasp.

John

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »
I'll have to agree with the vision tips.  I had lasik done in '01, and was a very dominant left eyed right handed shooter.  Today, I couldn't really say which is the dominant eye most of the time, but I keep both eyes open, as I always did, for bow shooting, and also keep them open for shotgunning.  I like it.

As far as hunting tips, NEVER shoot your own arrows at a grouse in a tree.  Always borrow, or just take, a hunting buddies arrows for this purpose.  Grouse don't care.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Lambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
To load the arra in the bow faster, allways handle it by the nock. When pulling the arra out of a back quiver, feel for the index with your thumb while bringing the nock to the string. Trap the string with your hand and fingers guiding it to the nocking point. the upper part of the arra will be at the shelf at about the same time. Nocking above the nocking point will be a little faster than nocking below.
 From a bow quiver, you have to take it out from the part that holds the arras. Just bring it to the shelf, grabing with your bow finger, then slide your hand to the nock, and bring to nocking point.
 I've seen a lot of fellas nock arras buy grabing it up above the feathers and poke it on the string.You can't do it this way without looking at the string and nocking point, but the former 2 methods i have described, can be done  much faster, and you never have take your eyes of the target. ( animal)

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
Don't use a feather burner in the house. In cold weather 3D shooting points can come off. On my 3D arrows I drill a small hole through the point and arrow then insert a 3/64 inch roll pin all the way through and grind off the excess. It won't effect arrow weight or flight and you'll never leave another point in a target. When cutting string nocks into a selfbow, draw the nocks bringing the pencil marks onto the back and belly, they'll always be even. I then use a sharp pocket knife to cut out the line, and finish up with an eighth inch ceramic tile cutter blade. You'll never use anything else to cut your nocks in after you've tried the ceramic blade. Then use sandpaper to remove sharp edges that can cut your string.
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »
Earlier, Timo mentioned waxing your bowstring as well as the loops. Good advice for sure! The wax acts as a lubricant which helps the string avoid abrasion... external and internal (strands rub against each other).

Whichever wax you use, you should rub it on till it's on there pretty heavy. THEN take a small scrap of leather or cardboard and rub hell out of the string. The friction will melt the wax making it penetrate the string fibers.

You can also lay the heavilly waxed string on a piece of foil and put it in the oven. (more tips for distracting the wife!) About 200 degrees and watch the string! As soon as the wax melts, pull it out of there.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
Here's one for guys that have a twisted limb on a recurve from step through stringing....hold the limb under hot tap water about ten seconds to heat it, grab the limb and bend it back PAST center. When it's back in line run cold water on it and let it set overnight.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by SuperKodiak38:
White or chartruese fletching is more easly tracked by the eye and will help you learn your trajectory quicker. It also helps in the pre shot visulization.
Also informs you of shot placement on animals, and allows you to find you arrow easier....which hopefully will give you more info.  Use a fletch cover of some kind to camo them while in the quiver.
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Online Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
Use a fletch cover of some kind to camo them while in the quiver
You could cover them with your hat Terry....     "[tunglaff]"
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Ashcreek Ace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »
Always wear a safety belt or harness when climbing , siting , standing in a tree stand !
May the sun be at your back ,the wind in your face, your shot be true and your arrow fly straight --Mike

Offline uffda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »
My favorite back yard practice is shooting judo tipped arrows at yellow dandilion heads.  All are at different distances, small and force you to pick a spot, and never a shortage of dandilions.

Online Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
My favorite back yard practice is shooting judo tipped arrows at yellow dandilion heads. All are at different distances, small and force you to pick a spot, and never a shortage of dandilions.  
Even more challanging is shooting bumble bees out of the air. I was taught is eat what I kill so I always try for head shots to save meat.   :rolleyes:    :D

Offline JEFFRO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »
even hunting close to home, cary a fanny pack, in mine, waterbottle (with the air out,so it dont slotch) extra brokein string,   T/P  home made granola, fire sorce, and what ever else you prefer. keep it small & lite, jeffro

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »
Bumblebees are my friends, so I do not harm them. I hear, however, that it is safer to take butt shots and eat the  other  end.

Killdeer~yessiree!  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »
Bumble bees are much more filling than most people give credit for, Ron. Heck, if I can saute one in a fryin pan full of morel mushrooms, it makes a very satisfying meal.   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
Ron reminded me of this... every archer should own a bow stringer... ESPECIALLY recurve shooters.

Safer for the bow and the bowman.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
and here's one I remember hearing a lot in the early days... never shoot an arrow straight up. (it's a gravity thing)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Blaine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
Charlie,  I like the way you cook.  Nummy
"at some point, technology becomes not just an aid, but instead a substitute for woodsmanship."   Aldo Leopold

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
I found my first morel of the season last night.  All of these weekends hiking in the woods and no morels.  Went to REI last night and found one growing next to the sidewalk in the parking lot.  Now I just need to track down some large bees. Mmmmmmmm gooooood.
Bryan

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »
Charlie it is an age thing also don't pick them up on the way down like i did when i was younger and sure don't move as fast to get out of the way now .i wonder how i ever survived to grow up as most things that were airborne hit me in the head.--- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©