INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bowhunter's Tip List challenge....  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunter's Tip List challenge....
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »
If you gotta pee in the woods, pee over somthing or into a hole. The pee splatters tiny droplets on your boots otherwise and leaves a scent trail everywhere you walk. So I hear anyway. CK

Offline ray11dowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
If you make you own wood arrows, take the scrap ends from a dz. Put a rubber band around them. They make a very effective rattle bag. Good shooting 1,2,3,4 shoot Ray L

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
While still hunting, if you can see a deer before it's aware of you, drop down and put the stems of several fallen leaves between your fingers and a few in your mouth. Once that's done, start your stalk.

Sooner or later that deer will become aware of your presence and become alert. You will be downwind, so it's not able to smell you. If wearing some sort of camo, once you freeze in place, it will not see you but still it knows that some sort of movement had alerted it. With the deer keyed in on you, release a leaf and as it floats to the ground the deer will lock in on the movement of the leaf, forgetting about you.

Once it sees the leaf fall, a very natural thing that it had seen all it's life, it's satisfied that everything is cool. To that deer, it was just a leaf floating to the ground. Usually they will flick their tail and return to browsing or picking up acorns. Then continue the stalk until they noticed movement again. Just continue the process again and again until you are in bow range. It doesn't work every time but the times that it does is very rewarding.

Several time I have worked my way up to and inside of 20 yards. Once during a preseason scouting trip I showed a friend how I did this and we managed to get inside of 10 yards on a doe and fawn.

Warren
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
When a deer is in one of your shooting lanes that you feel confident about . . . take the shot.  Don't wait for the absolute slam dunk shooting lane.  Rather take the first shot you know you can make.

It has happened too many times where I say yes I can make this 18 yarder, but I want the 8 yarder.  I pass the shot, then at 12 yards the deer takes some unexpected turn and I am left with nothing.  

Great tips guys . . . keep them coming.

Ted

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
This is not so much hunting as a comfort issue. When it is cold I usually carry some of my cloths in, for example, heavy coat, or wool sweater until I get settled in and feel like I need the extra clothing on. Once you get too hot and start to sweat it messes everything up.

Online Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
While still-hunting or stalking use an increase in wind-noise or squirrels movement to mask your own movement's sound. This is effective when the leaves are dry and very noisy. Don't try to take traditional steps. Rather, gently slide your foot in the leaves. It is not louder than the squirrels or wind in the trees and it forces you to move VERY slowly.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »
rub some un-scented anti-perspirant under your toes and where your toes and foot meet, you'll never have cold feet again. the reason your feet get cold is from sweating, try it it works!    :D

Offline Chad Edgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »
When scanning the woods for deer, dont look for the whole deer.  Look for horizontal lines, ears, tails, throat patches, etc.  And when your mind tells you that you saw a deer but you eyes aren't sure yet, it is probably a deer and act accordingly!
Here from the King's mountain view,
Here from the wild dream come true...
Treasures of flesh never few! "Jambi"

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 12:57:00 PM »
If you stand for a long period of time (either in a treestand or ground blind), sew a loop of leather or fabric to the leg of your hunting pants at the right hight, and of the right size to hold your bottom limb. Resting the lower limb here takes keeps the bow upright andd ready for a shot while keeping the weight off your upper body.
-Brett

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »
if you take a 10 year old daughter to the stand with you  its best to tie and gag her
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
When prepping stand sites, clear the last 100-150 yards of debris, it allows for a quiet approach and entry to the stand, and just as important,it allows a quiet exit.

David

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »
1)take a calf length, non-white sock and cut the foot part out of it- when you are wearing heavier clothing just slide the sock up over your arm and let keep your clothing out of your bowstring.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »
go to the dollar store, get a little plastic funnel and use that to refill your wind checker bottles with baking powder. Cost for the funnel, 99 cents...cost for baking powder, 69 cents..enough to fill your bottle about 30 times.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »
Sometime, before deer season, I will fell a tree or two to the known downwind approaches through my stand sites. I'll fell the tree as to redirect the game the way "I" wish for them to travel/approach. It seems to be working. CK

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
Use a doe grunt call more than a bucks. Learn the different calls they make and why and you will call in more deer of both sex.
 I like to use a turkey mouth call while on stand or still hunting to cover any sounds I may make while moveing. Have had many deer calm down and come in after makeing a few yelps or purrrs. I think the deer feel safer around some turkeys. Plus turkeys can make a ton of noise when coming thrue the woods. Just be safe while doing this!!! Do not want someone to think you are the real thing  :scared:  In 15ys of doing this I have never called in another hunter. I see them well before they see me........Raven  :thumbsup:

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »
When still hunting and I'm trying to close within shooting distance of a deer, I will remove my shoes and make the final sneak(150 yards or so)in my stocking feet.  When it's cold or wet, I'll slip on a pair of scuba diving booties.  Even then, I still only move when there is some kind of natural sound to cover mine(e.g. an airline jet flying overhead, wind rustling the brush, car or truck going down the road).
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »
another wind indicator option

pin a cotton ball to your shirt or jacket and pull a piece off and flick-it to watch the wind direction.  I have just put 'em in my pocket but it's a little less movment on a outer garmet.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Online luv2bowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »
When stand hunting for whitetails, watch how you enter and exit your stands. You may want to take a longer and more difficult way into or out of your stand if it will keep you away from where the deer are most likely to be at the moment. Also, if there are deer around your stand when it gets dark... wait  until they leave to get down! Spooking deer uneccessarily will ruin your chances significantly with each encounter.

luv2bowhunt.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
Keep your roll of bathroom paper in a "waterproof" container..

Chris

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »
When hunting public ground, be in your stand at least an hour before legal shooting time, and at least 1/4 mile from the nearest road. Most hunters won't enter the woods till legal shooting time, and then seldom venture more than 2-3 hundred yards from the road. Let them move the deer to you. Make sure you stay in stand  for three hours after sun up. Most hunters are down and out an hour after the sun peaks over the horizon. Same thing on and afternoon hunt, go an hour before anyone else, and don't plan on getting down till well after the end of the day.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©