INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: interactive animal 'xray' views  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: interactive animal 'xray' views
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »
Straight up the foreleg.
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Windknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »
Well, based on practical experience I can confirm that the springbuck's anatomy is 100% correct! Really great pics MPS- do you have the URL for us?
Always keep an edge on your knife, 'cause a good sharp edge is man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life.

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
windknot, Kyle just emailed me those...he didnt remember (I think) where he got them. So I just put them in my photobuckut account. You all can steal them right off of this thread, or you can right-clik on the actual picture...left-clik on 'properties' and copy the URL link to each picture. I will probably leave those pictures up indefinatly, so feel free to link to them.

Scooby, as soon as you forward me the picture of the squirrel kill zone, I will post it  :)
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »
Roger that MPS.  I have been trying to remember where I found those and can't.  The thread I was reading was about how shots on african game need to be straight up the front leg.  It may have come from a link from a thread on here but it would have been about a year ago or so.  I take no credit for them, I'm just passing along something I picked up along the way.

Kyle
WWJD

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
cool. When we watched the DVD, it seemed every shot was punched through the foreleg...sometimes only 10 inches of penetration...then they walked up to a dead animal. This has been a real educational thread for me.
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »
I've learned all my animal anatomy through dissections - knowing where the entrance and exit wounds were and seeing what the shot hit as it passed through.

I've shot all the above animals, except for springbok.  Most 'anatomical drawings' (including most of the above) do not have the organs correctly placed.  This, I believe, is because people dissect the animal with it laying on its side and sketch out where they see the organs.  In that position the organs shift higher and more 'rearward' in the body cavity than they are when the animal is standing.

Some genuine x-rays of standing animals would be a great way to see exactly where they were.  The important thing to remember is that all the animals "live between the shoulders".  I try to keep all shots as far forward as I feel I can, and is one reason I strive so for extreme penetration from my set-ups.  I probably do hit more bone more often than most bowhunters - but I don't get very many hits 'too far back'.  Over the last 1/4 century my wound/loss rate for bowhunted animals is well below 1 percent.

Ed

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »
Dr. Ashby, in your experince, do the pictures posted seem even close to what you've seen?  I completely understand what you mean about dissecting animals on the ground but how much would you "trust" the pictures I found?

Thanks for your hard work and passing along for all of us out here.

Very Respectfully,
Kyle
WWJD

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »
Kyle,

I would say most of the drawings are "sorta close", but they can be somewhat misleading.  They often give the impression of a kill-zone that is way to far back.  Many of what would look like killing hits, based on the sketches, will actually be at or behind the diaphram.

If one wishes to avoid bone and be sure of getting into boiler room, the best thing is to take the quartering away shots and angle directly to the point of the off shoulder or at the front edge of the off shoulder.  The down side is that one again needs high penetration in order to get an exit wound - but at least the vitals will be reached with minimum tissue resistance until after the thorax has been penetrated.

On broadside shots it's best to really keep all shots tucked up tight to the shoulder crease.  Myself, on 'standard' big game I like to put it through the shoulder meat just back of the articulation of the humurus and scapula - and use "enough" to bust through when I do hit the bones.

Ed

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »
Dr. Ashby, I thank you for your quick response.  I'd say that in my experience, what I'm looking for in my shot placement is very much what you describe.  Thanks again.

Kyle
WWJD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©