INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Experience With Straight Down Shots?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Tbone Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experience With Straight Down Shots?
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »
Warren, just because the vitals are as "wide" as they are "deep" doesn't change the parallel placement of the lungs, so how does that help in making a double lung hit? Maybe I missed something, but I don't get the point that Keller (and C. Adams) have made in the "wide as deep" argument.

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »
Tbone, I think there is a misunderstanding about "Double Lung" shots. It's just not necessary to have a double lung shot to recover a deer.

I agree that it's the best hit to have but there have been a lot of deer killed taking a broadside shot that didn't result in  a double lung pass through. A lot of deer react in a radical way when hearing the "twang" of a bow string. The most perfect shot does not always result in the perfect hit.

I have always felt like any arrow with a razor sharp broadhead, placed in the rib cage will produce the results that we all want.

I think what Myles Keller is trying to convey is that from above, virus broadside, a hunter has a better chance of penetrating vitals.

I'll take my shots under me or out from me. But I know that shots inside of 10 yards have
definitely worked for me for some 36 years.

Warren

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=207161&ck=
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Tbone Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2004, 10:52:00 PM »
Warren, I whole heartedly agree that deer tend to drop or wheel when we let the arrow go. That's why I guess it just feels "safer" to shoot more on a horizontal plane. Chances are that the well placed arrow will either make a mortal hit, or  sail over their back.

However, with sharp downward angles a lot more can go wrong in terms of skeletal deflection around the vitals up front, and yes, many a deer has escaped with one punctured lung.

Having said that, I'm not so legalistic that I wouldn't take the shot if I felt comfortable with it. I guess I'd prefer one walking away from me a little. Seems like I'd rather exit up front, and maybe even get some liver upon entry, sort of like a quartering away shot on the ground. I think someone suggested shooting for the base of the neck. That seems kinda risky to me, considering how fast deer can wheel on the shot, but I've never tried it either.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with all! Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©