INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Difference in Bloodtrails  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Gonzo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Difference in Bloodtrails
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2003, 08:29:00 PM »
My Heavy Bow is Just 65# and it is a Selfbow  ;)  

I do have a 61# BW Recurve that has only failed complete Passthroughs on 3 occasions (All on Hogs) but it has always been sticking out the other side  ;)
Johnny Gilliam

Offline bob@helleknife.com

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »
Joe,

I have taken elk with both WW & Snuffers.  I think you will be just fine with WW.   Suggest you shorten up the tip.

I do agree with everyone who says both WW & Snufs do a wake up call on the animals.  I have not seen any hesitation on elk moving right out after impact.  That said, I have often been able to stop them, or at least slow them down with a bugle ater the shot.

It has been my experience that I don't generally find much of a blood until about 40 yards down the trail.  Seems to take that long before it hits the ground.  But there are exceptions!

Can't comment about any difference from a treestand or on the ground; never shot from a tree.

But I will tell you that you guys that shoot a bunch of animals in a year know a lot more about trailing than most of us out in the West.

bob@helleknife.com
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Online Java Man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2003, 12:59:00 PM »
I shot a small 1 1/2yr Mi whitetail buck last year with a 145 Snuffer, from 16ft up, and 14 yds out.  Went in right behind the shoulder, and only an entrance wound.  The purplheart shaft stayed in the deer.

It was a high hit, but there was blood from about the third leap that I could follow as a casual walk.  150 yd recovery (scalded cat type   :scared:  .  Huge hole.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

http://www.javamanarchery.com    
Facebook:      https://www.facebook.com/javamanpam?ref=hl

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©