INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bunny Huntin'!  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Bunny Huntin'!
« on: December 22, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »
I went bunny hunting with my dad and four buddies after work today. Everyone carried shotguns but me.I hunted with my LB, We hunted only 1-1/2hrs. and we got 11!! The best part was I was getting busted on the whole time for carrying the bow, but on the last drive I got 2, I shot five times and got 2 I was going nuts. When the guys came over they couldn't believe it. My dad kept saying we didn't here you shoot. The only downer was I lost 2 arrows and they were my Nitro trad heavies with broadheads,maybe I will find them when the snow melts!(lol!!) I shot them with a 7 Lakes LB, I was trying to sell it, but It is a sweet bow and I am keeping it! Life is good!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bunny Huntin'!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 07:12:00 PM »
Good for you Shawn.I would say that's pretty good shooting.  :bigsmyl:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:43:00 PM »
Nice going Shawn!  :thumbsup:  

Stalking bunnies in the snow, some of the greatest fun there is.
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 08:03:00 PM »
No stalking here, we put on drives like you would for deer. One shot was one come out I shot missed and he ran about ten yards and stopped, I drilled him in the head, the next rabbit I missed, he was running flat out and I swung with him and when he hit the edge of the field I let it fly, where I don't know, the next one came out running but not hard and I ran about twenty yards and out he came into the cornfield and I let fly as he hit the corn, I thought I missed but went over and found a good blood trail, gut shot him but one good thump and he was done. I can't wait to go out again, we planned the day after Christmas and I talked my buddy Darryl into carrying his recurve. I just ordered some more woodies from Kelly, shootin' my carbons is a bit expensive!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 08:28:00 PM »
Shawn, It sounds like you had an awsome time,congrats.Around these parts of N.Y. we certainly don't have no where near that many bunnies.We have um,but in the amounts it sounds like you guys have.That's rabbit huntin at it's finest.Where in N.Y. are you?Congrats again.
   Take Care, Curt }------------>
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 08:48:00 PM »
I am about 10 minutes south of Albany. The guys with the guns, shot about 30 times, I know my nephew shot 12 times and only got 2 bunnies, I did better with the bow. I was 2 for 10. We must of saw 35 or 40 all toll. It was funny when we started out at 3 o'clock, the first 2 drives all we saw was 5 rabbits, but once the sun started to set they were all over the place. My dad, who is 73 was good enough to take my place as a driver, so I could get the chance with the bow as a watcher. We have some good old overgrown pastures and a lot of hedgerows, plus a couple of real thick valleys. Our best day with everyone carrying guns is 37, one over the limit as I shot one with my pistol on the way back to the truck thinking we only had 35. I brought a friend I bow hunt with, who is an older gentlemen and he goes to florida every winter, so hasn't hunted rabbits in 15 years, he had a blast and got 3 and missed at least that many. The last few year they are on the upswing, some years we go all season and only kill 15-20. Curt, I tell you what, you get better and feel like hunting towards the end of Feb, and you don't mind a little driving, I will put you on to some bunnies!!
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 07:18:00 AM »
Shawn,

I live in Stamford NY. I hunt alone alot, not many people around here that hunt stick and string. Wondering if you would be interested to get together sometime, and hunt together I have places in schoharie, delaware and otsego we could chase rabbits. I have a young pup I just got, who is just learning. I would love to drive bunnies, use to drive with my brother, but he moved to Arizona. Got the pup to drive for me, but would love to have a hunting partner to talk to and share hunting areas. If interested e-mail me at bryaneus@hotmail.com

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 07:49:00 AM »
Bryan, after the holidays I will be in touch. I have a beagle also, he is eleven and has finally slowed down enough to be pretty good. When he was younger he would bring the rabbit around and be so close you could'nt shoot. Schoharie is pretty quick trip for me, and where I hunt in selkirk wouldn't be to bad for you either. I will be in touch!  Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 08:34:00 AM »
Shawn:

Sounds great, will be waiting to here from you. We don't have to just chase your bunnies! I'm not looking for a place to hunt. More someone to hunt with. I know otsego is a little far, but a good day trip. But we will talk after the holidays.

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »
Bryan, my daughter goes to college at Oneonta State, so I know it is not to bad a trip. I look forward to meeting you. I will talk to another buddy of mine and we can make a day out of it, hunt until lunch and go grab a bite to eat, then hunt until dark. I will let you know!  Shawn
Shawn

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »
I went out this past weekend for the first time this year.I went with my nieghbor ,his dad and a friend of his dads.We all took shotguns and I kept thinkin it would be great to try bowhuntin them.NEXT TIME!!I shot 3 for 3 my nieghbor shot 1 for 12 hehehehehe maybe he should stay with the shotgun but I,m gonna give my longbow a whirl.I,m workin on arrows and tips for it now.I,m north western NY and the bunnies seem better this year then last but I,ve only been out for 2 1/2 hrs.We took 6 total some were missed some holed up on the dog but it was still a good time.
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »
Shawn, sounds good to me,bud.I sent you some mail this morning.Looking forward to it.
  Take Care, Curt }-----------.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »
Tom, do you work regular hours?  I am trying to see who is available when for a rabbit hunt.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »
Meathook,

I work Sat, sun, mon nights 8pm to 830am. Off rest of the week. We should all get together and hunt rabbit, squirrel, or anything legal, connect some faces to names and such. let me know, I am game, although not legal game to hunt. lol

Bryan

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2003, 02:00:00 PM »
anyone else in?

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »
I'm in, if it is a weekend! I would hope it wouldn't be more then a 4 or 5 hour drive.I do not know where everyone lives, but I think it would be cool. It just has to be after the 1st. of the year.  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »
Curt, email or snail mail? I checked my e-mail and did not see anything from ya! I am getting ready to leave work now and my wife is dropping off my beagle(Ben)and my LB and arrows. I can get an hour in if I am lucky. I will let you know how I do!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2003, 02:25:00 PM »
I am kind of leaning towards the first or second Saturday after the first. I have 87 acres down the road we can hunt that has lots of bunnies and I am sure some others have some ground around here we can hit.

I am about 4 hours from Albany maybe a little less.  About 2 hours from Corning and an hour from Buffalo.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2003, 02:58:00 PM »
That is good for me, we could hunt dowm my way as well! I have several spots, whichever works best as far as drive time. I am sure I could make it in less then four hours!! VAAAAROOOOMMM!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2003, 03:01:00 PM »
Re-read meats post second saturday would be best for me!! Shawn  I need time to get my woodies up and going. I went to strictly carbon last year and traded away all my wood. It is to expensive to keep shooting my carbons! my wife better get here with the dog soon, I am ready to go!! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©